• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Announce Ron Rivera as Head Coach

I used to think of Snyder as this genius, evil, puppet master, master manipulator, and schemer. But the longer things have gone on, I'm really wondering if he is just a stumbling, bumbling, fairly clueless introvert who made a lot of money, but has almost zero people skills, is uncomfortable in his own skin, and who doesn't really understand how to run an organization of any kind effectively.

I am convinced he has people skills, because he seems to be one of the tops, when it comes to "selling" a job to the highest candidates.
We often come away with the most coveted coach hirings and player signings, and a lot of people will just point to the money, but it's not
about the money, as nearly as people think. Rivera admitted as much.
Snyder should be given credit for being able to lure in attractive candidates and get the deal done in a short amount of time, without them ever leaving the building, and then on top of that, the person he just did business with, goes out of their way to leave a sincere glowing report of him.
He doesn't have great public-speaking skills, obviously, but that's all that people actually see, so that's what they judge him as.
A very few select people had the privilege of seeing the "private" side of Snyder, and from all indications, he does have a good side. If he didn't, then people like Rivera would have stopped joining Washington a long time ago.

I used to think of Snyder as this genius, evil, puppet master, master manipulator, and schemer. But the longer things have gone on, I'm really wondering if he is just a stumbling, bumbling, fairly clueless introvert who made a lot of money, but has almost zero people skills, is uncomfortable in his own skin, and who doesn't really understand how to run an organization of any kind effectively.

I'm telling you, after the experience my sister had as the daily delivery driver at his house, what has been repeated in the media, and the intro he gave today...my feelings have gone from disdain to feeling sorry for the dude. How many friends do you think he has?

Edit: After seeing what keeps coming out about the process, it looks like my wish for Dan came true, so I am going to applaud him.

2 months ago I stated that in order for this team to win again, Snyder needs to fire Allen, and go get Gibbs to consult about whom to hire. Looks like it happened, just not in the order I had suggested.

Reports keep surfacing the Gibbs told Snyder to go get Rivera almost immediately after he was fired, and that they have been in talks since.

Even billionaires have to smile and be nice to people once in awhile 🤨

That's what has been circulating social media, but if you listen to the whole intro, he stumbled all over the place. I'm not buying it.

Oh come on Brian - you want to 'not buy it' :) Are you seriously suggesting that he didn't know what month we are in? He is no public speaker, but it's not like he got up there and threw up in the middle of it. It was obviously a joke - which no one but a few who were there - got.

Oh come on Brian - you want to 'not buy it' :) Are you seriously suggesting that he didn't know what month we are in? He is no public speaker, but it's not like he got up there and threw up in the middle of it. It was obviously a joke - which no one but a few who were there - got.

No, I don't buy it. The way he muddled through that intro, I do not think it was a joke...I know it was a complete blunder.

No, I don't buy it. The way he muddled through that intro, I do not think it was a joke...I know it was a complete blunder.

That's totally illogical. Does he have Alzheimers? Rivera made a similar joke not 5 minutes later that it was the Redskins kicking the Panther's ass that made this all possible. Happy Thanksgiving - get it?

There are plenty of conspiracy theories about Snyder that probably are true. This isn't one of them.

That's totally illogical. Does he have Alzheimers? Rivera made a similar joke not 5 minutes later that it was the Redskins kicking the Panther's ass that made this all possible. Happy Thanksgiving - get it?

There are plenty of conspiracy theories about Snyder that probably are true. This isn't one of them.

Conspiracy theory? Illogical? How is it illogical to think that Dan Snyder stumbled his words? He was like a deer in the head lights the entire interview.

I understand the argument being made about the loss to us that weekend, but John...I don't buy it. Snyder either has the worst delivery in the history of the world, or he bumbled the intro. I am convinced it was the latter.

I just want to know who was on that consulting group, I'm gonna speculate though and say Gibbs possibly, Urban Meyer?

You notice though he stumbled after his “joke” didn't land. That probably spooked him and made his speech fail. Dan is most definitely a nerd all the same.

I woulda liked for him to say something to the effect that “I'm trying to get it right this time, I apologize for almost shutting down BGO”

Last edited:
Conspiracy theory? Illogical? How is it illogical to think that Dan Snyder stumbled his words? He was like a deer in the head lights the entire interview.

I understand the argument being made about the loss to us that weekend, but John...I don't buy it. Snyder either has the worst delivery in the history of the world, or he bumbled the intro. I am convinced it was the latter.

Stumbling over his words is one thing. Forgetting what holiday we just passed is quite another.

I venture to say I do more public speaking than most here and it took years to get over the nerves that cause stumbles. That was with classes in performance too. Even now, those nerves come back at the weirdest times and cause me to mess something up or forget something. Snyder has a lot of issues that can be used to beat him with but I can't see this as one of them.

Then throw in the fact that he knows most of the people in the room are upset with the state of the team and many blame him. It had to feel a bit like facing a firing squad for Snyder, even with all the positive vibes that have been coming out over the rumors of Rivera and Del Rio taking over. His only real mistake was in telling what appears to be an inside joke to a group of outsiders without considering just how that would then play with folks like you. And yeah, that was a real mistake.

Very few us here, if indeed any of us at all, would have done a better job.

The guy has always and continues to strike me as an insufferable goober who just can't get past that awkwardness in public. I feel sorry for the guy, in 20+ years he hasn't gotten any better at it at all and he's clearly uncomfortable.

No idea if he was joking or not ... for me it just reinforced what I've felt for a long time about young Mr. Snyder: there's a good reason he doesn't speak much in public. He sucks at it.

What's HAS become increasingly clear to me is that inarguably good humans and football men—see Gibbs, Joe, and Rivera, Ron—can spend a lot of time closely vetting the man and come away seeing something there they want to work with.

For now, at least, that's something I find worth taking into serious account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did rewatch Snyder's comments and I'll admit it's possible he was just incredibly nervous. It doesn't really matter. I think those that are mocking Snyder for it on social media are just taking cheap shots. He clearly is terrified to speak in public.

I stopped caring about Snyder a long time ago. If he screws this up by interfering with Rivera we'll know for sure he's been the problem all along.

The interesting thing is going to be watching how the current players respond to the major changes in progress and coming. Especially curious how Haskins responds. If he's smart, he keeps his rookie trap shut and gets to work.

Meh. The Happy Thanksgiving thing was nerves. He was stumbling over his words the entire time. That's something I can forgive Dan Snyder for. :)

No, what concerns me was when Rivera said he took the job because Snyder told him this was a coach-focussed arrangement. That the coach makes the decisions and has the final say yada yada yada. That all sounds VERY familiar. That's how Snyder sold it to Schottenheimer. That's how he sold it to Gibbs. That's how he sold it to Shanahan. In every single one of those arrangements, Snyder either had significant input or the coach was fired.

I'm pretty much exactly where I was when Shanahan was hired. Cautiously pessimistic. So far, I'm not seeing anything different from any other post-rookie QB damage-control situation. Maybe this time it really WILL be different. But as I said ten years ago, I'll believe it when I see it.

Meh. The Happy Thanksgiving thing was nerves. He was stumbling over his words the entire time. That's something I can forgive Dan Snyder for. :)

No, what concerns me was when Rivera said he took the job because Snyder told him this was a coach-focussed arrangement. That the coach makes the decisions and has the final say yada yada yada. That all sounds VERY familiar. That's how Snyder sold it to Schottenheimer. That's how he sold it to Gibbs. That's how he sold it to Shanahan. In every single one of those arrangements, Snyder either had significant input or the coach was fired.

I'm pretty much exactly where I was when Shanahan was hired. Cautiously pessimistic. So far, I'm not seeing anything different from any other post-rookie QB damage-control situation. Maybe this time it really WILL be different. But as I said ten years ago, I'll believe it when I see it.

This was pretty much exactly what Kevin Sheehan said this morning. I mostly agree.

But the ping pong table has been removed from the locker room. Lol.

I'm hoping whatever Snyder got from those focus group meetings or whatever the hell they were is taken to heart. It sounds like he was given a list of problems and told that one or two things couldn't be changed and that everything on the list had to be changed if he had any hope of getting a winning team moving forward and doing a counter reformation on the fanbase.

Just think, it only took 20 years..

It was Thanksgiving weekend when we played them and beat them so the first couple of phone calls always began with Happy Thanksgiving. Just an inside joke among them. But I do want to wish you a merry New Years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.