• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Announce Coaching Staff

Cooley has never been a coach of any kind, at any level, nor been on an NFL staff at any level. He's a former player - that's it. Here's Scott Turner's bio from Redskins.com:

Turner enters his ninth NFL season after serving in a variety of coaching roles with the Carolina Panthers (2018-19, 2011-12), Minnesota Vikings (2014-16) and Cleveland Browns (2013). In 2019, Turner was promoted to Carolina's interim offensive coordinator following Week 13.

Serving as Carolina's quarterbacks coach in 2018, Turner helped quarterback Cam Newton post a 67.9 completion percentage, the highest of any player in Panthers' history, despite playing through injury and missing the final two games. Newton set a franchise record by throwing for at least two touchdown passes in 11 consecutive games, while his 94.2 passer rating was third-best in franchise history.

The Panthers finished 10th in the NFL in net yards (373.3), the second-highest season average in franchise history. Carolina finished the season with a franchise record for most completions in a single season with 378.

Prior to re-joining Carolina, Turner served as the University of Michigan's senior offensive analyst in 2017. The Wolverines went 8-5 and advanced to the Outback Bowl, while the offense featured three running backs who averaged 5.0 yards per carry or better and the team rushed for more than 2,000 yards for the third consecutive season.

Before his time with Michigan, Turner worked as the quarterbacks coach for the Minnesota Vikings from 2014-16. In 2016, Turner helped quarterback Sam Bradford set a then-NFL record in completion percentage (71.6) and guided him to Vikings records in single-season completions (395), interception percentage (0.9; five in 552 attempts) and single-season completion percentage (71.6). Bradford notched the fourth-highest passer rating in Vikings history with a career-best 99.3.

In 2014 and 2015, Turner worked with first-round draft choice Teddy Bridgewater. In 2015, Bridgewater was selected to his first Pro Bowl in his second season in the NFL and his first as a full-time starter. Bridgewater, who led the team to its first NFC North championship since 2009, bumped his passer rating up from 85.2 to 88.7 and threw three fewer interceptions while playing in three more contests than his initial season. He finished with 3,231 yards passing and 14 passing touchdowns, while rushing for three touchdowns.

In 2014, Turner helped Bridgewater to the best season for a rookie quarterback in Vikings history, setting virtually every franchise rookie passing record and producing the third-best completion percentage (64.6) and the seventh-highest passer rating (85.2) in NFL history for a rookie. In Bridgewater's first career start vs. Atlanta in Week 4, the rookie threw for a season-best 317 yards and helped the offense pile up 558 net yards, the fourth-most in team history, in a 41-28 win. In 2013,

Turner coached wide receivers for the Cleveland Browns, helping Josh Gordon to the best receiving season in Browns history. Despite appearing in just 14 games, he became the first player in Browns history to lead the NFL in receiving yards (1,646) and became the first player in NFL history with back-to-back 200-yard receiving games.

Turner entered NFL coaching with two seasons as offensive quality control coach for the Panthers in 2011 and 2012. The Panthers recorded two of the top four seasons in franchise history in terms of net yards, setting the all-time mark with 389.8 yards per game in 2011 and 360.7 in 2012. Newton was named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2011. His 14 rushing touchdowns broke the NFL record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback and were just one shy of the NFL record of rushing touchdowns by a rookie.

Prior to Turner's first stint in Carolina, he spent three seasons at the University of Pittsburgh, two as an offensive assistant and the last as wide receivers coach. Turner made his coaching debut in 2005 as a graduate assistant at Oregon State before serving as the offensive coordinator at South County (Va.) Secondary School from 2006-07.

A three-year letterman at Nevada-Las Vegas from 2002-04, Turner graduated with a degree in psychology. He served as a reserve quarterback for the Rebels as a junior and senior and played on special teams as a sophomore after being redshirted as a freshman. He earned his college degree in psychology from UNLV in 2006.

Turner is the son of former Redskins head coach, Norv Turner. Norv Turner previously coached alongside his son in Carolina from 2018-19, in Minnesota from 2014-16 and in Cleveland in 2013.

Ok Boone! You have convinced me! Turner is/was a hot commodity with every team in need of an upcoming OC - he was on every team's short list. We're very lucky Ron had head of the line privileges! btw...per previous...I looked at his record. He followed Daddy just about everywhere. No doubt in my mind he started at the bottom and did it all on his own.

Look, I don't really care about Turner. I know a nobody who makes it through contacts and NFL relationships when I see it. As with all the others Big Ron has blessed us with, I actually do hope they succeed. 20+ years in the gutter is enough - no matter how insular the process that got them to DC.

Ok Boone! You have convinced me! Turner is/was a hot commodity with every team in need of an upcoming OC - he was on every team's short list. We're very lucky Ron had head of the line privileges! btw...per previous...I looked at his record. He followed Daddy just about everywhere. No doubt in my mind he started at the bottom and did it all on his own.

Look, I don't really care about Turner. I know a nobody who makes it through contacts and NFL relationships when I see it. As with all the others Big Ron has blessed us with, I actually do hope they succeed. 20+ years in the gutter is enough - no matter how insular the process that got them to DC.

I have almost zero faith in success under Snyder, but you make me look like a cheerleader. I honestly don't think you will ever be happy with this team regardless of what they do.

Headline: Ron Rivera takes Redskins from basement to Champions in just 2 seasons.
You: If we had a real coach we would've won last year.

Headline: Redskins route Broncos by 44 in Super Bowl.
You: Big deal, in Super Bowl XXIV the 49ers beat them by 45.

The facts are the facts. If you want to be a snarky about it - that's on you.

Last edited:
The facts are the facts. If you want to be a snarky about it - that's on you.

Not being snarky. I looked at what he has done (i.e., accomplished) and it aint much. Like it or not - he has followed daddy.

I find it funny more than anything else. But, there are more pressing things than an OC no one in Redskins land even knew existed until a week or so ago.

Let's find some quality TEs and CBs. Son of Norv is less important than the talent on the roster. He's replaceble if he isn't up to the championship challenge.

Hey, if it doesn't work out at OC for Norv Jr, the Bio on him did state that he earned a degree is Psychology at UNLV. Maybe he can be reassigned as Dan's game time sidekick and keep the little man's psychosis in check. He did at one point in time actually wear a jockstrap so he has that part of Dan's fatal attraction thing going for him.

Seems like a weird time to be bashing the son of an NFL coach getting his first big opportunity.

I mean - Shamahan Jr. and all.

You either think Rivera is stupid and incompetent or you believe he's been impressed with Scott Turner. There are no other options.

You know what's funny? For years Redskins fans have bitched about letting great young future coaches walk. Now we've reverted to bitching because we are giving some other teams young talent a chance. I get it though. Whatever Turner brings to the table, what are the odds it's an improvement on the offensive juggernaut that Gruden and Callahan fielded every week? I mean - how could he possibly exceed those performances?

That was snark btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Portis was one of the guys going over the coaches heads to tell Snyder what he didn't like and who the team should draft.

He was a big part of the dysfunction when he was here. I recall one year he thought he could help the team on draft day in the War Room 🤪

Players from the dysfunctional era to me don't grade out well as potential organizational contributors.

I'm still wondering whatever it was O'Connell supposedly had that people had been backing him so fervently.

Portis was one of the guys going over the coaches heads to tell Snyder what he didn't like and who the team should draft.

He was a big part of the dysfunction when he was here. I recall one year he thought he could help the team on draft day in the War Room 🤪

Players from the dysfunctional era to me don't grade out well as potential organizational contributors.

Blaming Portis for any of that isn't right. An employee can speak to the boss all he wants, but its the boss' job to listen or not. Also, he is pretty much responsible for having Coach Gibbs draft one of the greatest defensive players of all time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.