• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Reading Thread

Chris

Ring of Fame
BGO Ownership Group
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
I have been an avid reader since my Hardy Boys days. Though I do read a bit of non-fiction, I am primarily a non-fiction fan. I consider it comfort food for my soul.

I thought there might perhaps be some interest in sharing authors or individual books that you have enjoyed and would like to recommend.

I will start. Some of my favorite authors are Michael Connelly, John Sanford, Michael Crichton, Joesph Wambaugh, Scott Turow, Lee Child, and Tom Clancy.

I have recently started a series by Jack Carr, author of The Terminal List, and am really enjoying it. Very Clancy like.

Have you ever read Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose (Lewis and Clark chronicle?) or Son of the Morning Star by Evan Connell (Custer saga). Both are really good. I’m currently reading Death in Yellowstone by Lee Whittlesey which tells the story of almost every death that’s ever occurred in the park. Morbid I know but fascinating.

I have not. I’ll check ‘em out.

Have you seen 1883 on Paramount?

The series follows the post-Civil war generation of the Dutton family as they leave Tennessee, journey to Fort Worth, Texas, and join a wagon train undertaking the arduous journey west to Oregon, before settling in Montana to establish what would eventually become the Yellowstone Ranch.

It was created by Taylor Sheridan, the writer and co-creator of Yellowstone.

No - that sounds good though!

Chris have you read any of the Gabriel Allon series by Silva? If you like Childs you might enjoy that series.

Chris have you read any of the Gabriel Allon series by Silva? If you like Childs you might enjoy that series.
Good Call
Thanks, SO. I have not and will check it out.
They are great, easy, reads. This is a "series" of stories that should be read in order.
Edit: I should've included the first book. "The Kill Artist"

Finishing up Neil Gaiman's Interworld trilogy.
On deck: Re-visiting Terry Pratchett's "The Wee Free Men"

This week I have finished John Sanford’s Righteous Prey and started Michael Connelly’s Desert Star.

In between I’m working my way through Do Hard Things by Steve Magness.

Today I finished a novel by Don Winslow entitled The Force that I highly recommend.

It is a gritty, so very gritty, story of crime and corruption in NYC. Managed and carried out by the powerful that were either elected, hired, or appointed to look out for the city’s citizenry but instead made decision after daily decision to use their powers to both line their own pockets and to fuel their ambitions.

Though it is a work of fiction I came away thinking it is only disguised in that way. The author clearly leaned on more than a few sources with intimate knowledge and personal experience in the inner-workings of the city that never sleeps.

No faction escapes untouched. Not the NYPD, the Feds, City Hall, big money interests, the Mob, defense lawyers and prosecutors, or the judges.

Warning: it is profane, racial, violent, and oh so gritty. (Did I mention gritty?)

Today I finished a novel by Don Winslow entitled The Force that I highly recommend.

It is a gritty, so very gritty, story of crime and corruption in NYC. Managed and carried out by the powerful that were either elected, hired, or appointed to look out for the city’s citizenry but instead made decision after daily decision to use their powers to both line their own pockets and to fuel their ambitions.

Though it is a work of fiction I came away thinking it is only disguised in that way. The author clearly leaned on more than a few sources with intimate knowledge and personal experience in the inner-workings of the city that never sleeps.

No faction escapes untouched. Not the NYPD, the Feds, City Hall, big money interests, the Mob, defense lawyers and prosecutors, or the judges.

Warning: it is profane, racial, violent, and oh so gritty. (Did I mention gritty?)

I'm almost halfway through it and cannot put it down. Thanks for sharing!

I'm currently reading "Triptych" by Karin Slaughter - reminds me a good bit of the Reacher books by Lee Child.

I’m currently reading Better Off Dead by Lee Child.

I still can’t believe that Tom Cruise was cast as Jack Reacher. 🤣

Check the Amazon series from last year. Much better casting and much closer to the story line from the book they based the season on, Killing Floor. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to season 2.

Check the Amazon series from last year. Much better casting and much closer to the story line from the book they based the season on, Killing Floor. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to season 2.

I did, jumped right on it. The Reacher character was casted beautifully. Looking forward to season 2, too

I love to read. As a kid I was a voracious reader, thanks to my Mom's encouragement. But as an adult, man, I just find it hard to carve out the time. I do listen to a lot of audio books, but that's radio, not reading :) Hoping to get back to it when I retire.

I read every night just before going to sleep but that is sadly about it. I might get 30 minutes or so before turning out the light.

The only exception is books related to business practices and management. I try to read one of those a quarter and I can/will make time during my work day a couple of times a week to knock out a chapter or two.

I have a hard time with audiobooks except while driving (and I don't do much of that anymore since I work from home full-time). I admire you guys who can though. A work buddy of mine listens to audiobooks while working out but try as I might, it doesn't seem to be my thing.

I have a 50-60 minute commute each way to work so that’s mostly when I listen. I read all day every day, just not novels. My wife is constantly reading a novel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.