• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RD 1 DRAFT QUOTES: Robert Griffin III

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
April 26, 2012
Redskins Park

Redskins First Round Pick QB Robert Griffin III (No. 2 Overall)
On how it feels to be drafted by the Redskins:
“Hail to the Redskins. Hail victory. That’s how I felt. It felt that good.”

On how it feels to be drafted even though the selection wasn’t a surprise:
“Oh, I’m really excited. A team finally fell in love with me. They want me for who I am, and I can’t wait to go and play for them.”

On adjusting to the level of play in the NFL:
“Yeah, you know the speed of the game is definitely different. You’re going against All-Americans at every single position on the field, but I look forward to the challenge. That’s how I play football. If you can play football in high school, you can be an elite college player. If you’re an elite college player, you can be an elite pro. So I’m going to go out and know that, yeah, I am a rookie, but I’m not going to use that as an excuse. I’m going to try to succeed.”

On adapting to a new style of offense:
“Everybody wants to say that the schemes are different. Every scheme is trying to do the same thing, and that’s score points. So I think the one thing that I do need to work on and, it just comes with time and just being with the team, is the verbiage. The verbiage of the West Coast system is extremely long, but it’s something that I’ve been picking up on lately. And I know once I get in that huddle, I’ll be able to go out and have bumps in the road at the beginning of training camp, but once we get to the end, it’ll be like reading the back of my hand.”

On who he is as a person:
“That’s always the hardest question. It’s like asking somebody why they do something. It’s the easiest question to ask, but the hardest to answer. But truly, I’m a person that tries to lead by example. I don’t just talk. Sometimes, I get tired of talking about things because you want to just go do it, so I’m excited to just go do it with the Redskins and just know that my dream has come true. And it’s up to me to figure out what I’m going to do after that.”

On how he would describe himself as a quarterback if he were a scout:
“I don’t like to talk about myself in that kind of way, but I know a lot of teams will say, 'Blitz him, make him try to run, try to hit him and beat him up.’ And you know I welcome that because if they’re doing something to get after me and try to shut me down that’s what they’re supposed to. My job is to find the holes, so I’m looking forward to finding a lot of holes.”

On his familiarity with the Redskins’ organization:
“You know, being a Texas kid, you always watch Philadelphia [Eagles], the [Dallas] Cowboys, the [New York] Giants and Washington just because they’re all in the same division, and you’re in Texas. I’ve seen the Redskins over the years. I’ve seen the many quarterbacks that they’ve gone through, and I’m glad that the organization and the coaching staff bought into drafting a younger quarterback, trying to make him their franchise quarterback and growing with him.”

On the sensation he felt from already knowing where he was going to drafted:
“I mean, it would have been pretty interesting to see the Redskins trade up to No. 2, here in this room to see my reaction, but I’m not mad about it. A team said they loved me, and they let everyone know early on that they wanted me so they traded up and made it happen.”

On the advantage of knowing the Redskins were going to select him six weeks in advance:
“You know the personnel that they have is amazing. They added weapons in free agency. I’m excited to meet my offensive line. Those are the guys who will be protecting me and protecting my career, and I’m going to go out and try to make plays help protect their careers.”

On the estimated time spent with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan:
“Not very long actually. I’ve only met with him twice, and I think we had three-hour meetings each time. So six hours total. Just trying to get across to me what their trying to do with me, what their scheme is that they’re going to try and attack other defenses with, and with the guys they have on the team already. So it’s not just about me, it’s everybody else involved. The Santana Mosses, the Pierre Garçons, the Anthony Armstrongs, the Leonard Hankersons, the Josh Morgans. I can go on and on and I don’t want to leave anybody out. Just know that I know who they are and I look forward to seeing what they can do.”

On correcting his flaws and working with Terry Shea:
“You know, Terry Shea, we wanted to work on connecting my drops to the types of throws I’m going to have to make at the next level. So really we just tried to clean up my footwork. I’m a fast learner so it’s easy for me to wrap my mind around what he was trying to do with me so we just did that. I always say as a quarterback you have to work within the system out. So when it comes to footwork, you practice the footwork to make sure it’s right, and then if you have to make a throw out of an awkward position you can still make it. You don’t practice making throws out of awkward positions. You practice doing it right, then if you have to do it you go ahead and let it go.”

On taking time to savor the moment of being drafted:
“I’m looking forward to getting right to work. I’ll savor the moment tonight, tomorrow fly to D.C. and then we’re ready to roll.”

On if he knows the first few lines of Hail to the Redskins:
“Yes, I do know that. So I’ll learn the rest, and I’ll sing it for y’all soon.”

On his familiarity with the Redskins’ organization:
“You know, being a Texas kid, you always watch Philadelphia [Eagles], the [Dallas] Cowboys, the [New York] Giants and Washington just because they’re all in the same division, and you’re in Texas. I’ve seen the Redskins over the years. I’ve seen the many quarterbacks that they’ve gone through, and I’m glad that the organization and the coaching staff bought into drafting a younger quarterback, trying to make him their franchise quarterback and growing with him.”

/shiver
/goosebumps

"I’m looking forward to getting right to work."

That's the goosebumps line right there.

Beats the heck out of "Hope for the best."

HTTR!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.