• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I'm glad the team won today. I was a little nervous at halftime. I couldn't believe they were losing at that point after the way they came out firing. There are still some things I don't understand about this team. Some other things I don't like. But if they keep winning and can get on a roll, hopefully those things get figured out. Great job to win against a team everyone had expected to beat us when the season started.

OK so I didn't get to watch it LIVE with you guys (which sucked! Had to watch the Pack get destroyed by the Titans!)

So I got to watch the game later without the emotion of being in the moment and the peaks and troughs of the rollercoaster the game sends you on.

Watching the Redskins live is a rollercoaster because as much as we HOPE that they are a good team and play well, I don't think at the moment we really TRUST them to be a good team.

However watching the game after the event last night and taking the emotion out of it... that game last night really didn't look as close as it was. The Skins controlled the game fro 45 of the 60 mins pretty much. Q1, Q3 and Q4 were all Burgundy and Gold.

The issue is... as it has been for a while now... we shot ourselves in the foot in Q2 and made a game that we should have dominated closer than it should have been.

This is worryingly a recurring theme, but one I feel that long term we can fix.

The truth of it is that we are a good team. We're not great, but we're good. I see this as year 2 of the new Redskins.

The good facts to build on are:

We're 5-1-1 in the last 7 games, and could have been 7-0!
We can pretty much move the ball at will on most teams.
We have multiple threats on the field at any one time (Reed, Davis, Crowder, Garcon and Jackson when he's playing... pick your poison folks!) and Kirk is good enough to hit them.
Our Defense can turn up the pressure and stop opponents scoring for long periods, we've seen it all year.

However the bad...

Those 7 games, were alot closer than we'd like, and I feel like we've got no one to blame but ourselves.
We can move the ball at will until we hit that 10 or 15 yard line... then we struggle.
Teams will take those threats off the field till we prove we can run with consistency.
Our Defense is prone to allowing lots of points in a very short space of time.

All these things I believe are fixable.

As Fat Rob gets more usage and starts to lead the way, we'll be more of a threat to control the clock and throw balance to the Defences we face. Especially if our coaching can stop signposting pass plays. I heard Boone (I think) talking about the fact that we should be using the run game that was pretty good yesterday to set up play action. Instead we get predictable. It's even more obvious when you watch it back after you know the result and have the luxury to watch what's REALLY going on. Our RedZone offence is way way way too predictable.

This weeks game against the Packers scares me a little.

On the one hand... the Packers D looked absolutely awful yesterday. The Titans hung 47 on them and it felt like it should have been more. The second half just felt like they let their foot off the gas.

The bigger issue it the Offense. At times it looks appalling. I mean really terrible.
But then they'll put together a drive that suddenly looks like classic Rodgers. Mixing it up to Starks, Nelson and Cobb, pulling Defenses offside and having hours of time in the pocket to throw deep, or scrambling and connecting on the run.

Those are the drives that worry me. I can see that happening next week. I can see a circumstance where we are up by 14 again and then Rodgers catches fire and we get into a shoot out but we struggle to score in the RedZone. Every week I hope that they've fixed the RedZone issues, but alas I can see us losing a close one again.

Pretty much spot on Knight, even live with the acids perforating the gut, one could still see this team winning.

Our fumble was unexpected and gave the Vikes the opportunity to go one up when our D was scrambling for whatever reason. I suspect no huddle against our D upsets the rotation and communication just enough to expose some of the talent vacuum on the D.

My biggest disappointment was not finishing the last drive by our O..... we needed a TD to get it done 'on time' and leave little doubt about the outcome but the defense did it's job to collect the win at the end so kudos to them.

I did not get to see the Pack but no team in the league can be seen as a 'patsy' by our group and the good thing is I don't believe Gruden will let them.

Perhaps those boastful declarations post Philly game stirred the pot of bad mojo and those malodorous vapors are just starting to disseminate.

And great job by Big Ty, filling in for Trent Williams. He held his own and did just fine against a good Vikes defensive front and a probowl DE!

I agree with those who are in favor of benching Grant. He does not catch the ball, and always seems to fall down running routes. Harris came in and caught all 3 passes thrown his way. Give him the playing time over Grant.

Am I the only one who freaked out when Fred Davis celebrated his TD with yet another 'fading jump shot' ?
I was like "Oh **** !! Didn't he learn that's a penalty ?"
Then I realized it was brilliant because he mimed it, and didn't use the ball as a prop.

Am I the only one who freaked out when Fred Davis celebrated his TD with yet another 'fading jump shot' ?
Then I realized it was brilliant because he mimed it, and didn't use the ball as a prop.

Vernon? ;)

My biggest disappointment was not finishing the last drive by our O..... we needed a TD to get it done 'on time' and leave little doubt about the outcome but the defense did it's job to collect the win at the end so kudos to them.

Yeah that was disappointing.

I was watching it thinking, "If we'd just converted ONE of these to a TD we'd have won comfortably." Even better, if we'd have converted two or three of those FG's to be TD's instead this game would have been a blow out."

In the Packers game, one of the Titans players got the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty for lying down on the white line on the back of the endzone and pretending to be asleep. :/

I feel like it's getting stupid.

And great job by Big Ty, filling in for Trent Williams. He held his own and did just fine against a good Vikes defensive front and a probowl DE!

I agree with those who are in favor of benching Grant. He does not catch the ball, and always seems to fall down running routes. Harris came in and caught all 3 passes thrown his way. Give him the playing time over Grant.

Agreed on both counts. I was real worried about Ty against this Vikes front. If he can stand up to them, I think that bodes well. I'm not expecting him to be Trent, but if he can hold the line while Trent is out then we're in good shape.

I don't want to jinx us, but the Pack's defensive front looks awful. Mariota had all day to pass.

Oh and I liked what Harris did too. I'd like to see more of him.

In the Packers game, one of the Titans players got the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty for lying down on the white line on the back of the endzone and pretending to be asleep. :/

I feel like it's getting stupid.

(emphasis mine)

I think you mispelled "been".

Just watched the game again over my lunch break at work. Couple of other things that struck me...

1) I know that we eventually got them off the field on the drive in the 2nd quarter early, but to me it seemed like the bad mojo started to set in for us when Compton had that foul that dug them out of a 4th and LONG! We did eventually get them off the field, but that moment kinda stuck with me as a momentum changer. Not sure why...

2) Crowder on those punt returns inside the 10. I watched them closely and he called FC on them. The first time I viewed them I did wonder why he didn't just let them bounce to the endzone, but on another watch the Vikes were right there and on the first one especially I wouldn't have put it past them to down that ball on the 1 yard line if he'd have let them bounce. I'm not unhappy about it. His play all day was fantastic and he's proving to be a nightmare for defenses. Between him and Reed we have two REALLY solid weapons.

3) Cousins is looking really composed. Yeah he has the odd bad throw, who doesn't. I saw many bad throws from Rodgers in the Packers game! But there was a play late in the game where the pocket collapsed on Cousins and I thought a sack was imminently, but he very coolly stepped up and out of it and then rolled left looking for an outlet. Eventually the D caught him and sacked him anyway, but regardless I thought he looked calm and instead of panicking and throwing a horrible bad pass he just went to ground. It was a loss of a play but I felt kind of impressed on watching it.

4) Rob Kelley... Wowsers. The unwritten rule of the running back... Always forward. He seems to epitomise that rule. Loved his long 4th quarter run. Sometimes players need to pass the eye-test. I'm sure that on paper Jones is bigger and stronger and faster etc. But Kelley just LOOKS better when he's in there. I feel WAY more confident in the run game with him behind the QB. Hope this is a permanent change.

5) This was the game we were waiting for from Preston. :D

6) I know Fuller had a rough game. But I actually really like how he's playing. He made a few really crucial stops. Reminds me of Breeland in that rookie year. He makes mistakes, but I'm hopeful about his potential. Another eye-test thing. Could be wrong, but I just like the guy on the field.

I agree. Unless there is a collapse the Cowboys will win the East.

Nothing wrong with a wildcard. Giants have used it as a springboard to the Super Bowl.

That's why I was glad to see that New Orleans, Green Bay, Minnesota, Carolina all lost yesterday.

Shame the Patriots let us down against Seattle.

We need the Bengals to jump up and bite the Giants in the ass.

We are in really good shape - just need to keep winning :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are in really good shape - just need to keep winning :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

download.jpg

Too many kids movies...

We've traditionally been a doormat in primetime games, that goes without saying.

We've also traditionally been the cure to a team's ills when they are in a funk.

It would not be the least bit surprising if Green Bay walked into FedEx Field Sunday night, and found their mojo at our expense.

That's pretty much been the story of this franchise for the better part of 25 years.

That all being said, we have to be pretty encouraged knowing that while not anywhere near being perfect in terms of how the team is built right now, we've been able to follow a strong second half a season ago with a winning record through the first 9 games of 2016.

Competitiveness and consistency are two words that have been sorely been lacking in our team's dictionary and it's nice to see that they are slowly but surely resurfacing.

One could make the case that this team was 3 plays in our favour away from sitting at 8-1 on the season.

While 5-3-1 is not ideal, a win vs. the Packers in the "typical Redskins loss" scenario that Sunday night presents and all of a sudden you will have a pretty excited fan base I think.

Huge statement game on Sunday. The corner is fast approaching. Do we want to turn it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.