• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I'm not talking about him wanting the ball - but I think he's a hot head with a big mouth. You don't have to agree with me.

Geez...I know that Boone.

I've never seen him display those traits.

When I think of Redskins player,who's a hot head,selfish and shoots his mouth off, I think of DeAngelo Hall.

Pierre's not in the same zip code, IMO.

Does it seem like he gets the extra hard hitting sacks, too?

I saw him lifted off the ground, there is almost always a helmet hit, and he's almost always peeling himself off the turf.

The kid gets beat up! I'm not so sure I wouldn't be tentative myself

That's from a lack of pocket presence. He can't slip and slide in the pocket to avoid sacks and he often doesn't feel the ones that get to him til it's too late.

That's from a lack of pocket presence. He can't slip and slide in the pocket to avoid sacks and he often doesn't feel the ones that get to him til it's too late.

I think there's some of that going on, but when I watch other teams play I see much more of a pocket develop that allows for that sliding in the middle range to upper tier teams.

Yeah, the line doesn't provide much of a pocket. And when you are trying to teach a guy to sit in the pocket and trust the pocket, it's hard to instill that confidence when the pocket is collapsing and you are taking hit after hit. Even today, Kaepernick had giant pockets on a lot of plays. I remember some plays where it seemed like there wasn't any Redskin within 10 yards of him. I'd like to see the Redskins line provide that to help him learn to trust them.

On the other hand, it makes you wonder why he is holding to the ball too long with that pocket collapsing. You would think he would be getting rid of hit before those hits come.

Romo just had 7.61 seconds in a pocket..I don't think we get that in an entire drive

Watching end of Dallas/Giants game and had this random thought.

The commentators mentioned the review today was the first we won all season 1/7. They neglected to state we got screwed on at least two of them when even Mike Pereira said they ultimate ruling was incorrect. I don't think the deal with New York reviewing has helped at all.

I thought Griffin looked really tentative today. I also hated the playcalling, other than the wealth of handoffs to Almo. They aren't making it easy on Griffin with the playcalling, or with the protection schemes. I think his confidence, for whatever reason, is completely shot.

You make a good point with the play calling.

We know we have a QB who is low on confidence and an O'line which is starting a rookie at LT against a Pro Bowl pass rusher and is struggling generally. First play of the game we start with a bubble screen to Jackson which picked up 6 or 7 yards. Good call, high percentage gets the ball out of RGIIIs hands quickly, protects the line and gets the ball in the hands of a play maker. From memory we threw one more bubble screen all day and one screen to Helu on a 3rd and very long. Thats bad play calling IMO - we should be throwing 4 or 5 bubble screens a game to Jackson, force the DB to start to play him tighter and when they do you have the go to either the outside receiver who fakes the block or Jackson on a straight go or bang 8.

Back to that rookie LT. You cant do it every play but on key downs how about giving him some help? The last sack he is on an island against Aldon Smith, everyone in the stadium knows its pass and Smith blasts past before the rookie is out of his stance. Rob had no chance to do anything on that play. How about lining a TE up on that side and giving Moses some help or at least have Helu take an outside release and chip. Thats bad play design and play calling again IMO.

RGIII is not playing well but lets give him some help.

Yeah, the line doesn't provide much of a pocket. And when you are trying to teach a guy to sit in the pocket and trust the pocket, it's hard to instill that confidence when the pocket is collapsing and you are taking hit after hit. Even today, Kaepernick had giant pockets on a lot of plays. I remember some plays where it seemed like there wasn't any Redskin within 10 yards of him. I'd like to see the Redskins line provide that to help him learn to trust them.

On the other hand, it makes you wonder why he is holding to the ball too long with that pocket collapsing. You would think he would be getting rid of hit before those hits come.

When the All 22 comes out I will try to do some screen grabs and break down the sacks Rob took today. He is holding the ball and his clock has to speed up knowing that his line are struggling and we have a rookie starting at LT. Play calling has to help as well, get some bubble screens called, screen to Helu, some pop plays to Paul - things to get the ball out quickly with easy reads.. Do your throwing off play action on 1st down and get some movement with RGIII out of the pocket. All that said I think two of the sacks were on Rob today the rest were on the line.

The first sack was on Rob - he faded back into the sack rather than step up. Fading back after you have reached the top of your drop is almost always a bad thing, it hangs your tackles out to dry and its a bad habit he has. There was a sack late on when I thought the ball just had to come out even if it was a throw away, I put that on Rob as well. Other than that we had Aldon Smith blast past Moses twice almost untouched and hit Rob within 2 seconds of the snap - its called the blindside for a reason. Then another two are blown blocking schemes or brain farts from Lich and Chester. On both they passed their man on when there was no one outside them to pass that man onto - apart from the QB.

Its hard to have pocket presence in the absence of a pocket and its really hard to step up when the pressure is right in your face.

I think there's some of that going on, but when I watch other teams play I see much more of a pocket develop that allows for that sliding in the middle range to upper tier teams.

You're also seeing QB's get rid of the ball when they finish their drop most the time. Defensive players will tend to 1/2 ass it when they know they aren't getting there anyway. They know they are getting there 6 times a game when RG3 is in there and maybe more if we plan on passing more than 19 times a game.

You would think Gruden would be calling plays for him to drop back and pass and maybe he is. 1/2 the time RG3 starts looking like he's going to do it then changes his mind, then BOOM, sacked.

Gruden needs to give him the advice that Parcells gave Simms back in the day about his TE not being open but he's really open or the other one where he said if youre not throwing 2 ints a game youre not taking enough chances because RG3 really needs to just let it go like Cousins does and worry about the Ints later when we care about winning games.

Don't get me wrong because I don't want HIM here....

But we need a Coughlin style coach to walk in that front door, kick over a trash can, and just run them up one end and down the other. A coach who will get on players like Coughlin did with Strahan when he was late or when players didn't give their best.

Gruden is too new and was too excited for the job and didn't really know what he was getting himself in to. He doesn't have the same attitude and in your face aggression that his brother has and that is hurting him because these young men are screaming for discipline and leadership.

Don't get me wrong because I don't want HIM here....

But we need a Coughlin style coach to walk in that front door, kick over a trash can, and just run them up one end and down the other. A coach who will get on players like Coughlin did with Strahan when he was late or when players didn't give their best.

Gruden is too new and was too excited for the job and didn't really know what he was getting himself in to. He doesn't have the same attitude and in your face aggression that his brother has and that is hurting him because these young men are screaming for discipline and leadership.

I thought and had hoped we were getting that with Gruden, but it is obvious he is way to passive. The most aggressive thing we have seen him do is call a player out in the media, which IMO is the ****ing worst thing you can do.

We have needed a coach like that for a long time. I do not like the man, but one like Belichick. He does not put up with any shit, but I don't think he has ever called anyone out in the media, I could be wrong there...

You want random thoughts? Ok, here we go. Forgive the long winded post.

I like RGIII but I think it’s clear that the offense he has to run to be effective is more or less a college offense with simple reads and lots of QB runs. As fun as that was to watch in 2012 opposing teams figured out that if Griffin was going to run the ball so frequently that they would hit him hard and often. That directly led to him getting banged up in 2012. That model was unsustainable, so the plan for the conversion to a pocket passer started.

Are we going to blame Griffin because he can’t do what he had never demonstrated he could do on any level of football? That seems a little silly. Anyone can learn but the skill set we’re asking him to develop on the fly is one that few QB’s possess at all. The hope was because of his natural talent, work ethic and smarts he could pull it off. At this point it doesn’t look like he can.

Do we blame Gruden for his failure? I don’t. I think Jay understands how the position has to be played and how to coach it at the pro level. He was hired to make this transformation work but it was a heck of a lot to ask. Ahh you say, then why doesn’t he run plays to Robert’s strengths? Like what? Read option? We know that will end up, with Robert getting hurt (see above). Roll-outs? From what I’ve seen Robert does a poor job of throwing on the move. So we’re left with trying to keep him in the pocket, which, again, he has never proven that he can do.

It complicates things that because of Robert’s poor play it makes it harder to evaluate other offensive players. The offensive line is nowhere near dominant, but you have to ask yourself why the sack numbers go up dramatically when Robert starts as opposed to Colt or Kirk. Not to bore some of you who aren’t fat guys who used to play on the offensive line but protections are set up for depth and position of where the QB should be on any given play. If the QB isn’t where they’re supposed to be it can make you look real bad. I think we’re definitely seeing some of that. Sure we’re seeing bad individual performances at times too but every lineman gets beat from time to time. Making that unit the scapegoat for all of Robert’s issues is a mistake.

The receivers have got to be frustrated as well. We have some serious talent at WR and they are definitely getting open but the ball doesn’t get to them. You’ve heard rumbles from Jackson but you can bet the other guys are upset as well. It’s making them look bad too and costing us winnable games.

That’s why there is an undercurrent on the team for Colt. Nobody seriously thinks he’s the answer but he isn’t taking six sacks a game or tossing three picks a game like Cousins (who I still think is the best long term chance we have for a franchise QB….go ahead and laugh).

The only conclusion I can draw from the evidence is that the front office screwed up drafting Robert. It’s as simple as that. That’s a hard pill to swallow, because even after all the foolishness I like the guy. Still, I think it’s unrealistic to think that any dramatic transformation is going to happen in his game over the next few games or even over next off-season. Robert is what he is.

You don’t need to have a guy with Olympic hurdler speed and a cannon for an arm to have a successful QB in the NFL. He needs to be able to read a defense and be able to go through the progression tree once the play starts. Having a feel for pocket pressure and being a natural leader would be nice too. A great arm and mobility is a bonus. We started with the bonus stuff first! Typical Skins move honestly, as much as that pains me to say.

The sooner we admit our mistake and take whatever steps needed NOT to make the same mistake again the better off we’ll be.

That’s why there is an undercurrent on the team for Colt. Nobody seriously thinks he’s the answer but he isn’t taking six sacks a game or tossing three picks a game like Cousins (who I still think is the best long term chance we have for a franchise QB….go ahead and laugh).

This isn't aimed at you, it just got me thinking and wondering what each has done.

Colt McCoy career stats - He has played in 30 games, and started 22. He has 22 TD's, 21 int's, and 13 fumbles. He has also been sacked 64 times.

So lets just take those stats with the games he started because most of the other 8 were garbage time. He takes almost 3 sacks per game, is good for 1 TD, and will turn the ball over 1.5 times a game.

Griffin averages just over 2 sacks per game, almost 1.5 TD, and will turn it over once.

Cousins averages 1 sack, 1 TD, and 1 turnover per game.

This isn't aimed at you, it just got me thinking and wondering what each has done.

No offense taken.

We know Robert and Kirk both played parts of games they started. Here are the numbers for this season so far:

Kirk - 8 sacks 10 TDs 9 INTs 5 starts
Colt - 5 sacks 1 TD 1 INT 1 start
Robert - 20 sacks 2 TDs 3 INTs 5 starts

Kirk's numbers are closer to what I'd expect a rookie QB numbers to be honestly. Just by the numbers the other guys look like they either don't have a grasp of the offense or aren't very good. Numbers of course don't tell the whole story, but here they are.

Those are the only stats that matter really. They can be interpreted different ways. Colt's stats are incomplete with 1 start...If you are a glass half full kind of guy. Colt won against stiff completion ...Griffin loses SF, Tampa, Minnesota in the last few weeks. SF was the best rated defense but Robert's stat sheet didn't lie. Cousins has the best arm of all of them. McCoy looks solid. Turnovers, sacks and inconsistent accuracy are to be expected with a young qb...Griffin should be growing out of it by now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.