• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I'm sorry, but there are times when Ron RIvera is delusional. I appreciate having your player's backs - but he seems to really believe this which is part of my concern.

He’s never won more than seven games since he’s been here.
Give him his moment. 😝

I don't know what would be worse... if his players were playing their arses off against the Browns and that was the result or if the team was out of sorts last week because something was really off. There were failures on all three levels, mental lapses, and screw ups galore. Could that be a sign of trying too hard and letting your head get in your way, but it really felt more like they were running on autopilot.

Howell got the win tonight, and I'm happy for it.

But, he went 11 for 19 with 169. 1 TD and 1 pick.

The issue is Turner, and perhaps him. He threw a very costly pick in the end zone. He did have great in stride throws and a great deep throw.

Fire. Turner. Now. That last name has cursed our team since his father.
In fairness, Dotson dropped a long ball that he had both hands on (tough catch but it was exactly where it had to be for the receiver) and McLaurin dropped a gimme that hit him in the hands, in stride. Give him those two and he was more like 13 of 19 for 225 or so.

Oddly, I feel like Turner called a mostly solid game yesterday. Crazy, I know, because I've been one of the loudest about him being the issue with the offense.

In fairness, Dotson dropped a long ball that he had both hands on (tough catch but it was exactly where it had to be for the receiver) and McLaurin dropped a gimme that hit him in the hands, in stride. Give him those two and he was more like 13 of 19 for 225 or so.

Oddly, I feel like Turner called a mostly solid game yesterday. Crazy, I know, because I've been one of the loudest about him being the issue with the offense.
The stats are the stats. He didn't even throw it 20 times, threw a terrible pick in the end zone, and ate 3 sacks. I'm glad we won, but I'm not getting carried away with the celebration.

Being terrible in the red zone.

I dunno, Mike. Sam passed the eye test which sometimes means more than stats. It's not his fault that his coaches called fewer than twenty pass plays. I'd also disagree that a well placed drop shouldn't be charted as a positive throw by the QB even if the receiver drops it. In game terms you're right, but in QB evaluation terms if he made the right read, delivered the throw to the right spot, and presented a "catchable" ball, then the QB did his job even if the receiver doesn't make the play.

Given the constraints he was under, Dallas has a good pass rush, we have a weak line and poor, really predictable (I mean I was calling the plays before the snap as soon as I saw the formation. I was also accurately predicting if the plays would work) play calling, etc. the kid did really well considering this was his first outing. Moreso if you believe McClaurin when he says that Howell never got to practice with him and never even got a chance to throw deep balls to him in practice not even in the preseason.

Taylor is asked to stand in the pocket and gets sacked he gets roasted. He throws a bad pick he gets shit for it. He throws for under 200...same thing.

If we are going to judge QBs the same way then be honest all the way. Sam was alright...

Great deep ball that was an amazing catch.
Terrible end zone pick
Sacked too many times.

If he's asked to play exactly like this next season with no changes to the OC we will find ourselves in the same conversation all over again.

I hope we don't have the same play caller. I disagree that it's fair to judge a QB in his first game to a QB who's been in the system for five years and has played two years worth of games. Mind you, I'm projecting, but I'm a fan so I can afford to. Kid made plays with his arms and legs and had one screw up. That's a rookie game I bet a lot of QBs would be happy to have under their belt.

You are correct that any QB will be handcuffed with the current play calling.

The stats are the stats. He didn't even throw it 20 times, threw a terrible pick in the end zone, and ate 3 sacks. I'm glad we won, but I'm not getting carried away with the celebration.
Dude, I didn't say he was next Montana or Brady. Hell, I didn't even call him the next Cousins. But it was definitely a respectable outing for the young man who did everything he could do with the plays that were presented to him. No, not happy about the INT but if you listened to the Pod last week you heard me say I expected an INT or two against a good Cowboys defense. He made a serious mistake with the INT but he didn't let it phase him.

The other thing is that he converted for points early. Doing that, plus the play of the defense, allowed Turner to take the air out of the ball which kept Sam from throwing it 30+ times.

Dude, I didn't say he was next Montana or Brady. Hell, I didn't even call him the next Cousins. But it was definitely a respectable outing for the young man who did everything he could do with the plays that were presented to him. No, not happy about the INT but if you listened to the Pod last week you heard me say I expected an INT or two against a good Cowboys defense. He made a serious mistake with the INT but he didn't let it phase him.

The other thing is that he converted for points early. Doing that, plus the play of the defense, allowed Turner to take the air out of the ball which kept Sam from throwing it 30+ times.
You aren't the only person on the site I'm talking to. It's a general conversation we are all having.

It was a decent outing against a team we beat up pretty good. We were gifted amazing field position two different times and got a pick 6. He was set up to look good. He looked decent.

Sam’s arm talent vs Taylor is night and day. He is also 22 not nearly 30. Heinicke is what he is by this point. Howell is a babe in quarterback’s clothing.

You sound glad, lol...

Nobody thinks 1 game means he's the next Patrick Mahommes. But it was a great first performance. I think the vast majority of folks watching would agree with that.

I'm very surprised Mike hasn't labeled Howell a bust and asked for his release already.

You feeling ok big guy? Flu,Covid free?

Yeah, because Charles worked out so well right?

It's ok...I laugh at the critics until I'm right.

I also gave Howell credit for what he did well. I'm just not in love like you think I should be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.