• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Hope that the WFT with Rivera will be there. For years to come. He has really given the talent but the chemistry needs to come together and just about.

I thought the podcast did a good job breaking down the things Young could do to be better. The reality is that it’s all of the reasons listed. The sophomore slump is a real thing. Not necessarily because guys are over hyped or overrated after their rookie years, but because teams adjust and figure out what works and what doesn’t. This is true of any player at any position, but especially ones that are considered the top threats. But you can’t control what other teams do. You can only control you. So what here is what needs to happen.

1. He needs to keep evolving his game. See what guys are doing against him and find out how to beat them. He has to work to win the 1 on 1 battles and find ways to consistently make plays.

2. The coaches need to call a better game. If he is getting doubled, chipped, etc. then the coaches need to find ways to scheme him to one on one matches and even where he is coming free. A lot of just rushing 4 and hoping to beat 5 or 6 which right now hasn’t happened much for anyone out side of Allen.

3. His teammates need to step up. If Young is getting double and chipped, then someone else is getting one on one and should benefit. Football is a team game and when one guy starts to play better, the others will too. If Sweat, Allen, Payne, or anyone else steps up, the other guys will get more opportunities to make plays. That’s one thing about this defense last year, it was a team effort. It wasn’t relying on one guy to make a play. Everyone was making plays. I think they need to get back to that this year as well.

Young showed last year he has the talent to be a playmaker and game changer. He needs to keep improving and if the coaches are calling the right defenses, he will make plays if he’s doing his job.

Last edited:
At this rate it’ll be Sweat & Allen with the 2 player sack record

I wouldn’t be surprised to see DT’s lead the team in sacks. Sweat and Young are going to have QB’s moving up the ladder.

Not sure what’s up with Payne and Settle, but J. Allen is playing on a different level right now. Dude is justifying that contract like a boss.

Over the course of our first 3 games, the vaunted Washington defense has given up 92 points. Only 3 other teams, the Lions, Chiefs, and Falcons have given up more.

lifecycle.png

I said he was extremely raw, I've said it on multiple platforms, including on video in the podcast we recorded just last night where we talked about what was holding Young back, and why he wasn't living up to the expectations that were set.

3 games in, 2 more tackles...total, 6 tackles on the year!

There is a future hall of famer in the making, right there!

Condescending enough for ya?

well maybe you need to read your own tone to see how 'people' react to your rhetoric. El, your tone is condescending and targeted at times and I know for a fact I'm not the only one that reads it that way.

My tone is matched by the tone I am given. You may want to take a look at the tone directed toward me for having a differing POV.

Telling the world you hate the team and refuse to watch them or invest your time in them, then come at people about their opinions is going to 100% open you up to backlash, and honestly rightfully so. I simply pointed out the irony, and flat out hypocrisy that comes across when someone spends the majority of their time on the board, telling fans of the team why they shouldn't be fans of the team.

I haven't watched or supported any game of the WTF this season, I had only watched about 15 minutes of NFL football at the time I made that statement, it was true. Does that automatically eliminate me from re-examining my assertion about Chase Young when I come on this site? If you honestly believe that, then what kind of fascist have you become?

What kind of logic is this? Because I have stated I won't watch a game I am not allowed to stand by my assertion that a player is a bust and use current AND past proof to support it? Yeah, that's a bunch of bullshit! I can handle backlash, but what you did was essentially call me a liar.

It does not make me a hypocrite...it only makes me a contrarian to your belief, so calling me out is hostility. I matched that hostility.

You do you, if there is ANYTHING that most fans of this team, and EVERY active member of this board has done, it's always been supportive of people who have made the decision to not support the team anymore. I've never seen anyone say "good riddance."

Riiight...just take a little while and go back over a couple of comments from that asshole ____ asking me why I still come here. No worries, I'm done.

I will also point out the level of hypocrisy in your post where you reference personal attacks a paragraph after you directly question my reading comprehension abilities.

Again, I match the tone that is offered me. You called me a hypocrite. I will question your comprehension skills if that is what you've gathered from my assertions about Chase Young and my claim to not support or watch the WTF!

You want to know what real hypocrisy is? Making the claim you will never support the team if they change their name...yet, they do! That is the true definition. There is no mistaking that!

And if you read my post with the interest of understanding, instead of the interest of responding, you would see that I have not once said Young has played well this year, or lived up to the expectations set. I've simply said that there the book is not written, and there is a ton of development that will likely happen. I said he was extremely raw, I've said it on multiple platforms, including on video in the podcast we recorded just last night where we talked about what was holding Young back, and why he wasn't living up to the expectations that were set.

Actually,I had tremendous respect for you and how you read the player WTF drafted. We had plenty of long conversations about the myriad of decisions on how to handle that #2 pick and you often spoke of the flaws in dude's game. I have complimented you for your blogs and level headed understanding, Always have! So don't come at with with this bullshit about not listening to you.

You reacted to my post in a way that you rarely have...it's almost as if ____ was in your ear or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those third and long conversions are killing us. Why aren't we blitzing? Send someone at least!

Instead I saw Young in coverage...really?!!

Send Bostic up the middle!!

Those third and long conversions are killing us. Why aren't we blitzing? Send someone at least!

Instead I saw Young in coverage...really?!!

Send Bostic up the middle!!

I would actually like to see them take advantage of J. Davis’ athleticism in that area. That is if they will actually let him, you know, play.

I would actually like to see them take advantage of J. Davis’ athleticism in that area. That is if they will actually let him, you know, play.
I can agree with that. I just like how hard Bostic hits...and know he has the inability to cover. But, anyone would be nice!

Let's cease with the personal stuff guys. We are better than this.

Don't need to tackle much when they score quickly on most drives.

Random thoughts: Joe Theismann always back peddled from center in his drops.

Jay Cutler was the only Qb in the modern era to do so.

Why is that?

If true, another fun fact for this defense

I think this hits on the scheme criticisms we have brought up. They aren't in the right place at the right time. But when they get there, they are making the tackle. Part of that, especially the front 4, is beating your man and getting off blocks. So the players not without blame here. But they are making tackles down field instead of in the backfield. It seems to me they have been a reactive defense instead of one that is dictating the style of play. I want to see them dictate the game instead of just sitting there waiting to see what happens then reacting.

I think this hits on the scheme criticisms we have brought up. They aren't in the right place at the right time. But when they get there, they are making the tackle. Part of that, especially the front 4, is beating your man and getting off blocks. So the players not without blame here. But they are making tackles down field instead of in the backfield. It seems to me they have been a reactive defense instead of one that is dictating the style of play. I want to see them dictate the game instead of just sitting there waiting to see what happens then reacting.

It's like neither side is being effective, but it's also not changing. Players are not winning their matchups, coaches are not adjusting the scheme to compensate for it. It makes me wonder big time if this isn't on some level intentional. I can't help but wonder (not saying this is what it is, but I just wonder) if the players have been coached and schemed to be passive to try and help try and contain these athletic QBs (it obviously hasn't worked to this point).

Chase Young and co. SHOULD be winning their matchups.. They have (we all believe) the talent to be effective, ALL of them showed the ability down the stretch last year.... so what changed? We see Chase Young losing 1 on 1 matchups he should be winning. Payne was a wrecking ball last game and it accomplished almost nothing.

This is just a thought, and the evidence AGAINST this thought is watching Chase Young do his best Brian Orakpo impression and get ridden 9 yards up field opening a massive lane for Allen to step up (away from Payne destroying his matchup) and have a clean and easy pocket to throw from.

I don't know that I think this is the cause, I guess I'm just more 'hopeful' that we see a different defense on Sunday, because I don't think were this bad. Del Rio didn't forget how to coach in the NFL, and this D-line didn't forget how to play football.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.