• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Buffalo’s o-line was pretty average today but Allen is a big man. About the size of our DE’s.

Defensively they have 2 very good corners and 3 LBs that are better than any of ours. 58 in particular is going to be a problem.

Only way to win is a shootout and hope Allen's propensity for inaccuracy bails us out.

Something I've found myself 'checking' myself on is just how young these guys are.

We're talking about a struggling team (and critical of it) 2 games in, meanwhile we have ROOKIES at RT / WR2 / MLB / CB3. I don't think that can be overstated. Davis is the only one of those that's not 'starting.' That's something 'bad' football teams do, yet we have legitimate aspirations of a division title. Heinicke is another one. He's only started 3 games. I understand he's not 22, and he's 'been around' but he's still very young in regards to game experience.

And we have fans that expect 2nd year players to be finished,polished products.(Young).

I was thinking the same thing, DP. Young and Gibson are second-year players. Sweat is a third-year who was rotational his first year making last year his first as a starter. The starting 22 is pretty young across the board.

And we have fans that expect 2nd year players to be finished,polished products.(Young).
Well...from the hype surrounding the kid, you'd certainly expect a lot more than he's shown.

Well...from the hype surrounding the kid, you'd certainly expect a lot more than he's shown.
Coaches doing the hyping or the media?
If it’s coaches, your right.
Media? Like they know anything….

Outside of a few that cover the team locally (Keim, Snider, etc) the general media knows less than the fans.

The problem is the notion that he's scheduled to be a HOF player before he plays a down, then after 17 games, he's not qualified for the HOF so he's a problem.

If you're going to predict his career, lets wait more than a year to decide whether or not the next 10 are going to be good enough.

His 7.5 sacks and other numbers his rookie season really didn’t warrant the hype he got. Would anyone really have much of an argument with me if I said ‘Montez Sweat had a better year’? Not Young’s fault he has been so over-hyped. I don’t think we have any idea what his career is going to look like in the end. I’ve already said what I think about us making him the #2 pick on that draft.

His 7.5 sacks and other numbers his rookie season really didn’t warrant the hype he got. Would anyone really have much of an argument with me if I said ‘Montez Sweat had a better year’? Not Young’s fault he has been so over-hyped. I don’t think we have any idea what his career is going to look like in the end. I’ve already said what I think about us making him the #2 pick on that draft.

and that's a legitimate conversation that can be had...

But this is the problem with labeling someone 'generational' or some variation. The fact was that Young has been graded as one of the best pass rushers coming out of college ever. That's not hyperbole, it's supported by stats, as well as talent evaluators. Yes, I understand that the we need to hold our talent evaluators to a certain standard, but we as WFT fans have always been critical of 'missed' draft picks because we're arguing with the advantage of hindsight. Young has barely scratched the surface of his potential career. Even if he's doing things that aren't dominant now, he's barely even started developing. This offseason is the first ACTUAL offseason, as Covid messed everything up last year.

I also understand that Herbert COULD have been the pick at 2, and you sure as hell would love our guys to 'see' Herbert's ability and jump at it, but he was also the 3rd QB off the board in that draft... There are hundreds of examples of teams missing out on draft picks. Look at McLaurin and Curl.

For 2020 and 2021, It looks like Herbert may have been a 'better' pick when we're speaking with the advantage of knowing what's happened over the 18 games those guys have played, but there's still A TON on the table when trying to determine whether Young was, or was not, worth the no. 2 pick.

And the Hype train was driven by the media and the fans.... He did also make a probowl (hollow i know) and win DROY. Could that be hype? Sure... but he also showed many times that he was the best player on the field last year. We don't know what we're asking him to do schematically... I know I saw him in pass coverage last week at times. There's been plenty of evidence that he's not winning 1 on 1 battles in pass rush, but we've also been screaming that we can't stand DEs that pass rush their way out of a play and lose gap control. We know the other team is going to be getting the ball out quickly to try and mitigate our pass rush... how do you try and defend that? If you don't win your initial move, you plant and play gap control, ready to jump up and try to swat the ball. All of these things change the way a defender plays the rush, and it could easily make it look like he's not winning his matchup. I am theorizing here, but I'm also keeping my mind open that I don't know everything about everything so it's hard to truly judge him based on what we've seen.

I want to see him step up, big time, and I want to see him take control of games... but is that on him? Is it on Del Rio? Is it because he's still young and need to continue to develop as a pass rusher? Are we asking him to see ball / kill ball? I don't have an exact answer to that..

I’m not down on him. And as I’ve said the last time this was discussed. There’s a difference between saying ‘Herbert was the player to draft there’ in hindsight (and I DO say that) and ‘the team screwed up by drafting Chase Young’ (which I am not saying).

I think Young was DROY because a) there wasn’t much competition, and b) his game (to date) was overhyped. He had a very good rookie season, but that’s all. I’ll defer to you on his college dominance as I’m not much of a college football guy. But we all know college is not the pros.

You’re right that even if you think he’s just been good so far, not spectacular, that doesn’t mean he’s not a future HOFer. No way of knowing yet. I do think he’s underperforming right now. He’s had more pass rush opportunities than all but a few guys this year and is nowhere near the top in terms of sacks and pressures. That’s got to change and I suspect it will.

Eli Manning mentioned during the Monday Night game that in most cases when a d-line is playing well across the board, the QB decides who is going to get the sack.

(Not that this d-line has.)

Chase is going to have to figure out some new moves as teams double team him and give him extra attention. If he doesn't add things, he can expect to get stymied by the likes of Tampa's left tackle all the time.

Sometimes, pass rushers do take a few years before blowing up the state sheet with sacks. Strahan took four seasons before breaking double digits.

Cleaning up some boxes from the my move and ran across these old player cards. The cards are from 1978 and 1980. I was too young then to remember the Redskins players, but thought I'd share in case it bring back any memories for anyone else.
Skins Cards_2.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.