• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I guess Green Bay is Super Bowl bound, since we beat em, and that's the rule.

Read where every time the Giants and Packers have met in the playoffs the winner goes on to the NFC Championship. I hope so. That means Green Bay knocks Dallas out.

Yeah it would be a faaaar left field surprise if wrong play tried like hell to take KC. The brownies on the other hand are damn near Vinniesque in personnel. Shit ton of picks too!

I honestly think Kirk wants to leave. Nothing he's actually said but does anyone else get that feeling? His interviews lately seem pretty non committed to the team imho.

Damn you off season!

Cooley thinks Kirk actually wants to stay but don't expect a discount to do so.

The notion that Kirk might feel 'unwanted' by the team is not warranted, they did draft him and had to play second fiddle for a while but the team also appreciated his value by not accepting low ball trades and did eventually continue to give him a shot even after up and down play.

Cooley also suggests that a personal (not necessarily public) endorsement by the owner would go a long way toward getting it done. Perhaps a sit down at Snyder's digs with all involved..... and maybe a beer or two :)

Let Kirk know that while he might not yet be THE solution....... he is already an important, valuable and improving part of the solution. Offer and accept market value for an above average NFL starting QB.

There's zero chance the Rams are going to send a King's ransom of picks our way for a package deal to include Cousins less than a year after drafting Goff - not unless he was part of the deal (and I don't think he's shown enough promise to warrant us salivating over that deal). I'm not sure I get the logic of the whole premise anyway? If I'm a team interested in Cousins (say the 49ers for sake of argument), I just hope that the Skins don't franchise him and then outbid the Skins for him. Why would I give up picks to acquire him? I'm likely to have to pay him market value regardless. Maybe I'm missing something?

on the exclusive rights tag if he doesn't sign it he can shop around and see what deal he gets if a team gives him a deal north of 26 million I'd be inclined to say show me the draft picks. If he signs it only the redskins can negotiate with him. He would be best fit I think in either Buffalo Denver or Arizona maybe Jacksonville. The others I don't see him going to. Maybe San Fran if MCvay gets the job their but I think he is to young

The notion that Kirk might feel 'unwanted' by the team is not warranted, they did draft him and had to play second fiddle for a while but the team also appreciated his value by not accepting low ball trades and did eventually continue to give him a shot even after up and down play.

The whole KC1/sour grapes thing sounds more like a 106.7/Chris Russell narrative than reality.

The fact was, he was pretty freaking awful the first year Norval Gruden was here in 2014. He was rightfully benched and didn't get right until 2015. I still wouldn't consider KC1 elite, even with the gaudy yardage totals the last two years. The only reasons we'd keep him are his familiarity and ability within the system and that there's literally no one else out there. I do understand not being fully committed to him long-term... believe me. I think we've pretty much seen what he is and the best he can do is not go batshit when the lights are on.

And no, pointing to 2015 game against the Pewter Pirates doesn't make up for his prime-time chokes or the dumps he took against the Giants and Cardinals.

Nick

The fact was, he was pretty freaking awful the first year Norval Gruden was here in 2014. He was rightfully benched and didn't get right until 2015. I still wouldn't consider KC1 elite, even with the gaudy yardage totals the last two years. The only reasons we'd keep him are his familiarity and ability within the system and that there's literally no one else out there. I do understand not being fully committed to him long-term... believe me. I think we've pretty much seen what he is and the best he can do is not go batshit when the lights are on.
Nick

As you say, he sucked in 2014, got better, ending up high level late 2015 and pretty much stayed at that level in 2016 as defenses played against his book and once again stuffed our 'run game'. Is there any rationale to think that he can not improve further?

Is he able to get over the 'big game jitters', maybe, maybe not.... that is the gamble but we know that he is willing to do the work, sometimes that's all it takes.

Don't forget he was also available for two straight years which is something that is rare in and of itself for this team

reasons we'd keep him are his familiarity and ability within the system and that there's literally no one else out there
Exactly, timing is everything and the 'system thing' is exactly what coaches are supposed to do with the talent available, do we want to start over or continue to build a 'team' and develop futures as the Redskins actually become relevant again?

Mike Shanahan found a new hobby.

New developmental league could mark shift for college football, NFL

But like minor league baseball or junior hockey, Pac Pro would be an option for players who either can’t or choose not to play on college scholarships, some of them straight out of high school. Think academic non-qualifiers, juco players paying their own way, players with urgent need to provide for their families, those transitioning from another sport, those who would have to sit out a year under transfer rules, those who have been dismissed from a college program, those who simply want a different path – perhaps, eventually, some top college players who want to start cashing checks and use the league as a sort of football graduate program.

“You’ve got all day to spend with football,” said former NFL coach Mike Shanahan, who’s on the league’s advisory board.

Unless you luck out with a rehabbing Drew Brees as the Saints did, teams don't acquire potential pro bowl qbs for no compensation.

They either have to make big deals ( Eli Manning, John Elway) or use their draft picks and hope they develop one.

If the Packers were able to get a #1 pick from Seattle for Matt Hasselbeck, who was a former #6 pick backing up Favre, the Redskins should expect and not accept less for Cousins who is already a two year starter than the #1 and a #3, perhaps a #2 instead of that three.

2017 is not the year of the quarterback in college and I don't see any step in and play guys even at the top of the list.

So, if a team like SF wants to move on from Kaeperprotest if/when they hire McVay or Shanahan, they will have to pay the freight.

The non-exclusive franchise tag is most of all a call to negotiate.

Well guess that means Wade Phillips is off the table as DC.

Now that leaves 49ers and Chargers as only 2 teams still needing to hire a HC

I don't know that Phillips was ever legitimately 'on the table' for us. But I don't know that McVay getting the Rams gig automatically means they get Phillips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reports say there was a McVay/Phillips deal out there. Could have been rumor, but would make sense. Give McVay a strong defensive DC

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash">#Redskins</a> are interviewing Wade Phillips for DC tomorrow in Ashburn. More on <a href="https://twitter.com/nbcwashington">@nbcwashington</a> in a few mins.</p>— Carol Maloney (@carolmaloney4) <a href="https://twitter.com/carolmaloney4/status/819690310280196096">January 12, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash">#Redskins</a> are interviewing Wade Phillips for DC tomorrow in Ashburn. More on <a href="https://twitter.com/nbcwashington">@nbcwashington</a> in a few mins.</p>— Carol Maloney (@carolmaloney4) <a href="https://twitter.com/carolmaloney4/status/819690310280196096">January 12, 2017</a></blockquote>

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wade Phillips has agreed to terms to become Rams defensive coordinator, per source.</p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/819737507839508480">January 13, 2017</a></blockquote>

Dammit!

JasonReid@JReidESPN
Believe it or not, Jay isn't the most, well, detailed guy on some things, people in the building say. McVay is. I'll leave it at that.

John Keim@john_keim
1 thing to keep in mind: if you're a wanted DC do you go to team w/coach in 4th yr who might end up on hot seat or w/1st yr. job security.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.