• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Quinton Ganther

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date

Lanky Livingston

Thoughts on this kid? I really like the effort he has shown the past couple weeks out there...plus it seems like he is hard to take down. Rock is the prodigal teammate and gives 110% on every down, but he's tiny. Not exactly ideal for a 2 or 3 down back. I think Ganther should get the majority of carries, with Rock in the 3rd-down back role.

Mason....meh. Just not impressed by him. Don't know why, he is just unspectacular. Ganther seems to have more spark.

Thoughts?

Also, I think Ganther has a real shot to be a long-time contributor for the Skins. And he is *CHEAP*, which is very important to a team like the Skins.

Odd, I was feeling the opposite...that Mason showed more spark and Ganther wasn't impressing me running the ball. I do like what Ganther brings to Special Teams though. That was a heady play to start the game in Philly.

*shrug*

My guess is it doesn't make a big difference which one of them runs the ball at the moment, the results will be similar.

I think he'll be a very good third down back/special teamer.

He is a very good pass blocker.
He can catch the ball well out of the backfield and occasionally make a decent run

Last edited:
2010 RBs.

Betts gone.
Portis maybe gone depending on who the next HC is and who (crosses fingers) will be the GM. I say move on if you want to start fresh and I'm still a fan of CP (2 jerseys that I will still proudly wear even if he no longer is a Redskin).

Keep Rock.
Keep Ganther.
Bring back Mason to training camp.

Bring in a vet FA or draft in the 4th or 5th round a RB.
More or less make it an open competition.

I was slightly impressed with everyone. Rock, Mason, Ganther - they all bring something to the table.

I'm not sure any of them are starter material on a good team, but for us, right now, they might work while we build.

Odd, I was feeling the opposite...that Mason showed more spark and Ganther wasn't impressing me running the ball.

Im with Neo. I think Ganther did some things but Mason was very impressive.

Strange...Mason had 3 carries for 10 yards, and Ganther had 5 carries for 32 yards, almost twice the YPC. Ganther broke off a nice 13-yarder also. I guess you guys are referring to Mason's screen pass he caught? All in all, Mason had 4 touches for 21 yards, Ganther had 6 touches for 28 yards, which is very close. However Ganther was clearly superior running the ball (in the limited chances they both got). Ganther had 6 less yards on 10 less carries than Cartwright, which is the real stat of the week...:)

Mason also had a really nice 15 yard or so carry called back because of a holding call (it was legit but in no way impacted his run). I think that is what really caught my eye.

The kid just seems to run with some excitement that I didnt' feel like I saw from Ganther. And don't mistake this for being a Mason fan either. I wasn't one of those who was stunned and disappointed when he got cut last year or this year.

Neophyte said:
Mason also had a really nice 15 yard or so carry called back because of a holding call (it was legit but in no way impacted his run). I think that is what really caught my eye.

I don't recall this play - but I do remember Ganther's 13-yarder. I also view Ganther as a tougher runner, who doesn't go down on the first hit. Mason seems to go down pretty easily. And at the end of the day, Ganther was drafted and Mason was not, there is a reason for that. I thought Ganther did better in all phases of the game, including pass-pro. Mason is pretty bad at that, which is my main negative against him as it might be the most important job a RB has.

He did, but the hold was what sprung him loose. He did nicely once he hit the second level though. So there's that.

The kid just seems to run with some excitement that I didnt' feel like I saw from Ganther. And don't mistake this for being a Mason fan either. I wasn't one of those who was stunned and disappointed when he got cut last year or this year.

Either one would be a fine backup. I don't see either as all that much more impressive than the other though.

Mason is a step slow at the NFL level. I would not have resigned him when Betts went down. Why?

When he was released earlier in the season he had some sarcastic comments about the organization and seemed to believe he was entitled to a roster spot in 2009 because he had paid his dues on the practice squad.

In the NFL the practice squad usually means Not For Long as few prospects here go on to Careers in the league.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

When he was released earlier in the season he had some sarcastic comments about the organization and seemed to believe he was entitled to a roster spot in 2009 because he had paid his dues on the practice squad.

This may be the main reason I don't like Mason...we already have a Portis on the team.

Ganther seems to be making the most of his opportunity. Even on short dive plays he's got some hard intensity.
His special teams play vs Philly was terrific, excellent awareness and reaction.

~Bang

Last edited:
Mason's comments didn't really bother me. When you continually get your heart broken, you're gonna lash out at some point. That's really all it was. That said, Mason is OK in a pinch because he happens to be one of those overachievers this team desparately needs. As for Ganther, he runs hard AND plays Special Teams. He's the more valuable of the two in my book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.