• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Question on laptops versus desktops

riggins44

The Franchise Player
Reaction score
Next fall my son will be going away to college. Know in next few months will need to buy him a computer. I was wondering if should look at laptops or a desktop? What about these new mini-laptops?

The mini-laptops, if what you are referring to are "Netbooks," are basically big blackberries. Can't really do much on them except surf, and maybe some word-processing. They have trouble with beefier spreadsheets and powerpoints. I would go with a laptop with lots of RAM, just because of the portability and usefulness, unless your son plays a lot of video games, in which case I'd go with a desktop. Of course the point of the computer won't be to play games, so maybe forgo that route? :)

I hang out sometimes on the campus of North Carolina State University since it's not far from where I live here in Raleigh and virtually all the students have laptops-I go there because the main library, among other things, has multiple high speed WiFi networks-I see almost no netbooks in use, no doubt for the reasons Lanky gave-insufficient power. I'd recommend a laptop myself.

I too would recommend a laptop and I would go a step further and suggest a Thinkpad from Lenovo. My company just issued them to all the field staff and I am impressed. These are some solid machines and mine runs like a top so far.

I too would recommend a laptop and I would go a step further and suggest a Thinkpad from Lenovo. My company just issued them to all the field staff and I am impressed. These are some solid machines and mine runs like a top so far.

I agree. Mine is a couple years old but it is a great machine. I use mine to run high powered business aps and it is great.

Also their tech support is out of Atlanta, I only needed them once but it sure was nice to talk to an American.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.