• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Props

fair enough I did laugh at the women having hissyfits, a hissyfit is the same as a hissyfight? sometimes you americans baffle us.

Why because I wasn't wearing my glasses when I read that? Or the fact that we Americans know the term hissyfit, not hissyfight?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hissy+fit

Was that one of those malapropisms you dislike so much?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hissy+fight

Edit: I guess it would not be considered a malapropism since the words don't really sound alike, just a mistake on your part? :moon:

This board is the BEST. We have morphed this thread for talking about how awesome we all are, to fighting about one word, to getting into a discussion about the definition and spelling of that one word, and now things seem to be kittens and rainbows again.

:)
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

This board is the BEST. We have morphed this thread for talking about how awesome we all are, to fighting about one word, to getting into a discussion about the definition and spelling of that one word, and now things seem to be kittens and rainbows again.

:)
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Don't you spoil it!

Why because I wasn't wearing my glasses when I read that? Or the fact that we Americans know the term hissyfit, not hissyfight?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hissy+fit

Was that one of those malapropisms you dislike so much?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hissy+fight

Edit: I guess it would not be considered a malapropism since the words don't really sound alike, just a mistake on your part? :moon:

Not a malapropism, I believe the word you were looking for was colloquialism, you americans have a tendency to change phrases and words out of what I sometimes think is laziness rather than stupidity. in the american south, they say " I fit it" rather than " I fought it" another phrase they butchered was Banny rooster meaning someone who struts, which was corrupted from banty rooster which was itself corrupted from Bantam rooster.

Where I am from in northern alberta, when 2 cats meet up and hiss and growl and then walk away with noone getting getting hurt its called a hissyfight. I do like how Hissyfit sounds tho , im using that now too.

and in case you couldnt detect it, there was some silliness in that post.

LOL. You can dish it, but you sure can't take it, Ry. :)

A hissyfit is like a temper-tantrum, at least that's how I've always used it.

arrrrrrgh I was responding in a likewise humourous manner (I thought) perhaps I should have used the show you my bum smiley. lol

we call temper tantrums wobblers, if you are having one we say " you are throwing a wobbler"

arrrrrrgh I was responding in a likewise humourous manner (I thought) perhaps I should have used the show you my bum smiley. lol

we call temper tantrums wobblers, if you are having one we say " you are throwing a wobbler"

Haha! I would have guessed "wobbler" was a curling term.

Not a malapropism, I believe the word you were looking for was colloquialism, you americans have a tendency to change phrases and words out of what I sometimes think is laziness rather than stupidity. in the american south, they say " I fit it" rather than " I fought it" another phrase they butchered was Banny rooster meaning someone who struts, which was corrupted from banty rooster which was itself corrupted from Bantam rooster.

Where I am from in northern alberta, when 2 cats meet up and hiss and growl and then walk away with noone getting getting hurt its called a hissyfight. I do like how Hissyfit sounds tho , im using that now too.

and in case you couldnt detect it, there was some silliness in that post.

Haha! You are one of a population in a town of 22 who use such a word and we are wrong because we're from the south? :insane:

See Lanky, he still can't admit he's wrong! :)

We actually have a few more than 22 people lmao While I grew up on a ranch 60 km south of high level, High Level is the closest town, as Paddle Prairie and kegriver have one store and a post office between them lol.

http://www.discoverthepeacecountry.com/htmlpages/highlevel.html

The Town of High Level is located approximately 253 km north of Peace River or approximately 800 km north of Edmonton, Alberta. Population of 3887 people (2007 stats) and serving a trading area of about 20,000. One of Alberta's newest communities located in the Footner Lake Forest, the largest in Alberta covering 29,694 square miles.

High Level, Located at mile 180 of the Mackenzie Highway 35, midway between Edmonton and Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.

The name High Level described the height of the land that separates the Peace River and the Hay River. In 1786 fur traders arrived in the area and it wasn't until 1947 that the first settlers arrived. High Level Company was started in High Level in 1957 and a year later the Northland Utilities established the first power plant. The first post office was established in 1958 with Jesse Matheson, the first postmaster. For many years High Level was known as Tloc Moi (Hay Meadow). In those early years when many Beaver Indians roamed the area, it was a stopping place for trappers on their way from Hay Lakes to Fort Vermilion dating back to 1788. Oilfields were discovered in the area in the 1960's. The railway finally came to the area in 1963 and the first hotel was built in High Level in 1964. (It was torn down in 1997) The town was incorporated in 1965.

Wait! Hold on? They have Post Offices in Canada? :movefast:

In all seriousness, do have any Native American in you? Or was your family part of the settlers that arrived in 1947?

Native American! :laugh:

I'm Metis,

my family was one of the primary families who fought in the Metis rebellion against the government in 1869 and then again in 1885. after they made a deal with government, They then moved out of what was then called lower canada and into what is now central alberta where some of our family had already been located (TO PREVENT THE DAMN AMERICANS FROM SETTLING THERE) lol seriously the government gave us deeds and asked us to settle there to prevent it from being annexed by americans who were trading booze at Fort macleod.

Anyway,they settled in an area called St Albert. (the High school there is named after my Great great grandfather as is the central street Bellerose drive) The government then of course reneged on the deal after we served our purpose and sent a large group of white colonists to "take over" the farm lands we had already cleared and settled. they simply moved into the houses and farms we built.

Because we had been disarmed and gave our word not to fight after the second rebellion, most of my family and a few other families moved north into completely unsettled land in an area called Fort Vermillion in the north peace river area.

My family was almost wiped out during world war one when my great grandpa was fighting in europe and some douchebag german settlers forced my great gramma and her kids to live in the bush for 2 years.

Now my family lives for the most part in a place called Paddle Prairie metis settlement, basically the government felt bad about screwing us over and refusing to honour our government deeds for land in central alberta so they gave us some swamp land in the muskeg in northern alberta to make up for the prime farmland they stole lol, then they found out it had Natural Gas and Oil so they tried to take it back again in the seventies lmao.

To answer your question, Yes Metis carry aboriginal blood, but we dont self identify as indians we are something different.

oh and one side of my family are the French and Norwegians who settled in a place called Rocky lane near Fort vermillion they were among the first white people up there, and the other are the metis, thats why I am 6-5 and have green eyes but have brown skin.

BTW my father still runs a fly in fishing outfit and does some bear hunt , moose hunt and even some buffalo hunt guiding, if any of you are outdoor enthusiasts let me know and I can hook you up. If you want I can even take some days off and go myself lol, Merv is a good guide I dont think hes ever been skunked. Take my advice tho, just dont go up there in the winter, some great snowmobiling and northern lights tours but you dont understand cold until you have to be outside at -50 without windchill.

I'm Metis,

my family was one of the primary families who fought in the Metis rebellion against the government in 1869 and then again in 1885. after they made a deal with government, They then moved out of what was then called lower canada and into what is now central alberta where some of our family had already been located (TO PREVENT THE DAMN AMERICANS FROM SETTLING THERE) lol seriously the government gave us deeds and asked us to settle there to prevent it from being annexed by americans who were trading booze at Fort macleod.

Anyway,they settled in an area called St Albert. (the High school there is named after my Great great grandfather as is the central street Bellerose drive) The government then of course reneged on the deal after we served our purpose and sent a large group of white colonists to "take over" the farm lands we had already cleared and settled. they simply moved into the houses and farms we built.

Because we had been disarmed and gave our word not to fight after the second rebellion, most of my family and a few other families moved north into completely unsettled land in an area called Fort Vermillion in the north peace river area.

My family was almost wiped out during world war one when my great grandpa was fighting in europe and some douchebag german settlers forced my great gramma and her kids to live in the bush for 2 years.

Now my family lives for the most part in a place called Paddle Prairie metis settlement, basically the government felt bad about screwing us over and refusing to honour our government deeds for land in central alberta so they gave us some swamp land in the muskeg in northern alberta to make up for the prime farmland they stole lol, then they found out it had Natural Gas and Oil so they tried to take it back again in the seventies lmao.

To answer your question, Yes Metis carry aboriginal blood, but we dont self identify as indians we are something different.

oh and one side of my family are the French and Norwegians who settled in a place called Rocky lane near Fort vermillion they were among the first white people up there, and the other are the metis, thats why I am 6-5 and have green eyes but have brown skin.

well...Rye.....you're native BGO'an and that's what counts most!

I was still in shock they have the internet up there!

in 2000 we didnt, at the time, I worked for the government doing GPS and GIS mapping of northern alberta and I had to convince the government to run a fibre optic connection as our maps would sometimes take days to upload via dial up! I used to go on the other forum a lot and it would take an hour for a thread to come up because of the signatures lol.

FS- I told a story once about when AIM showed up when I was about 12 or so, they were going around to all the indian reserves to complain and drum up support regarding the chiefs, redskins, braves and blackhawk names and symbols. I showed up wearing a Redskins hat and Hoody, one of my Buddies had a storm jacket with REDSKINS across the back, Merv had a Blackhawks ballcap on and several other people were wearing braves gear (baseball is huge up there and the braves were one of the big teams at the time.) one of the reasons the Redskins were so popular was the head coach and organiser of our football program up there was a Texan who was a HUGE redskins fan, so most of us had been exposed to the redskins Via his sattelite TV.

anyway one of the Dbags starts in with " its disrespectful" argument, and my dad says" if you are ashamed of being who you are, everything is disrespectful, I don't like the tomahawk chop, but the redskins dont do anything lame like that." they then asked him if he thought the name redskins was derogatory and he said " take a look around you, everyone here is darker skinned than you, and yet a quarter of us are wearing Redskins hats or jackets, we take it as a measure of pride that they represent us so well."

then one of them got in my face and told me to take off my ballcap, I just laughed in his face and told him to come back after he ate a few meals and looked more like a man. they left after only 2 people at the meeting signed their petition.

Thats why I always laugh when someoen brings up our teams name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.