• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Prometheus

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
My weekend was peppered with some NCAA hoops (Go 'Cuse!), some Knicks (three in a row, baby), some 21 Jump Street (a hilarious, meta action-comedy), and of course some green beer and bagels. But my mind, my thoughts, my focus was elsewhere. For the last 72 hours, I’ve been unhealthily fixated on the slew of new Prometheus content slung onto the web.

There’s been such an overabundance of visuals, dialogue, and talking points to sift through. So in an effort to piece them all together in some king of satisfyingly comprehensive way, I figured it’d be best to break them all down into three categories.

What We Saw

Much of the hype around this film is centered on the question of “is Prometheus a prequel to Alien”? As I previously stated, I believe the answer is unequivocally yes, and much of the confusion is due to cleverly crafted talking points delivered from the film’s director Ridley Scott, Damon Lindelof (the writer), and 20th Century Fox (the studio). And why not? It’s hard to make a summer film stand out, much less one possibly (definitely) linked to a once-praised, but now irrelevant and mocked movie series. So I have no problem with these folks stoking the fanboy fire with vague and sometimes conflicting messages.

Build the hype, good on ya, the more attention the better. For me, Prometheus is probably the single most anticipated film of my moviegoing lifetime. I have a deep admiration for Alien, as I believe it to be one of the best suspense thrillers of all time, one on the level of Hitchcock. I poured countless hours of movie watching and have written numerous college papers on the original 1979 film.

Subsequently, I’ve chosen to build my anticipation for Promethus based solely on what I see in the trailers and viral videos, because even with snazzy editing tricks, an image doesn’t lie (especially when looked at frame-by-frame, over and over, as if it were the Zapruder film). So despite some interesting tidbits dropped by Scott and Lindelof at this weekend’s WonderCon, I’m only going to build my hypothesis based on what can be backed up in the trailers.

And to this, over the weekend there were three noteworthy Prometheus videos released. All of them revealing just as many details a they left questions.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/holly...uperfans-guide-to-the-new-prometheus-trailers

PS: links to three trailers/teasers at link.

Nerd-gasm part II!! This looks pretty damned good to me.

Sitting in the theater waiting for it to start now. Broke down and am trying it in 3D as well.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

I'm interested to hear what you think of it. Most people seem to love it, but RT says it blows.

If favorable, I will probably see it tomorrow.

RT had it at 72 this afternoon, from what I remember.

And I thought it was great. My wife enjoyed it as well, and she is not a thriller movie buff. The 3D was magnificent IMO, acknowledging I haven't seen a 3D movie in years. You should check it out McD, if you liked Alien. That slow growing feeling of dread was nicely done by Scott, and not as good as Alien, but still pretty strong.

Lots of fun, and very enjoyable.

Awesome Goal. If it looks anything like Avatar did in 3D, then it's worth it for that reason alone.

I was expecting to see 85 or higher on RT. I'm not sure what's up with that. I'm going to see it later today.

Let me know what you think, and definitely check it out in 3D. The 3D was stunning to me, absolutely perfect, and without the cheap thrills of things jumping out at you that I was kind of expecting.

I thought about this movie more and more and have to say it has stuck with me more than anything since Inception. Great concept and some nice underlying themes and motifs if you can to dig deeper and explore.

Good stuff!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.