• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Press Release: Reskins Announce "10 for 80"

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
August 24, 2012

REDSKINS ANNOUNCE “10 FOR 80” WINNERS

AT ANNUAL REDSKINS WELCOME HOME LUNCHEON

WASHINGTON – The Washington Redskins announced today the 10 members of the organization selected to join the 70 Greatest Redskins named in 2002 and complete the 80 Greatest Redskins of All-Time. The 10 winners include LaVar Arrington, Bobby Beathard, Joe Bugel, Terry Hermeling, Jon Jansen, Roy Jefferson, Richie Petitbon, Clinton Portis, Chris Samuels and Sean Taylor.

The winning 10 members of the organization, selected by fans and a blue ribbon panel, were honored at the 51st Annual Welcome Home Luncheon at the JW Marriott Hotel in Washington, D.C., on Friday in celebration of the team’s 80th Anniversary.

Arrington spent 2000-05 with the Redskins after the team selected the linebacker with the No. 2 overall pick of the 2000 NFL Draft. The Penn State product earned three consecutive Pro Bowl selections from 2001-03, setting different single-season career highs in each year — interceptions in 2001 (three), sacks in 2002 (11.0) and forced fumbles in 2003 (six). He was named second-team Associated Press All-Pro in each of those three seasons.

Beathard served as the General Manager of the Redskins from 1978-89, helping to construct and refine a roster that was one of the most dominant in the National Football League for more than a decade. In Beathard’s 12 seasons as Redskins General Manager, the team won 126 combined regular season and postseason games, more than any other NFL franchise. Beathard’s teams appeared in three Super Bowls, including winning titles in Super Bowls XVII and XXII.

Bugel became one of the most beloved position coaches in the history of professional football during multiple tenures overseeing the Redskins’ offensive line from 1981-89 and 2004-09. Bugel, or “Buges” as he was affectionately known, was responsible for one of the most dominant offensive lines in NFL history as well as the creation of one of the most endearing nicknames in sports history: “The Hogs.”

Hermeling grew from an undrafted prospect out of Nevada-Reno into a dominant tackle during his tenure with the Redskins from 1970-80. Hermeling appeared in 120 regular season games in his 11 seasons with Washington, blocking for backs such as Larry Brown and John Riggins. He helped lead the burgundy and gold to the 1972 NFC Championship.

Jansen appeared in 126 regular season games for the Redskins from 1999-2008, earning 123 starts on the offensive line. The Michigan product started in 80 consecutive regular season games plus two playoff games from 1999-2003. He and Chris Samuels formed one of the league’s top tackle duos in the early 2000s, as both played a pivotal role in helping running back Clinton Portis set a team record for rushing yards in a single season in 2005 (1,516).

Jefferson was a dynamic threat at receiver for the Redskins from 1971-76, amassing 208 receptions for 3,119 receiving yards and 16 receiving touchdowns during his six seasons in burgundy and gold. During his time in Washington, he was second only to Pro Football Hall of Famer Charley Taylor for the team lead in receptions and receiving yards in that six-year span, as the duo helped propel the Redskins to their first Super Bowl appearance following the 1972 season.

Petitbon played safety for the Redskins for two seasons from 1971-72 but truly left his mark on the organization as a coach from 1978-93, including serving as the team’s defensive coordinator from 1981-92. Petitbon is one of three members of the organization to have appeared in all five of the team’s Super Bowl appearances as either a player or coach. In 2011, Petitbon was inducted as the 45th member in the team’s Ring of Fame.

Portis spent seven years of his nine-year NFL career in Washington from 2004-10, compiling 6,824 rushing yards with the Redskins, the second-most in team history. Portis, who announced his retirement at Redskins Park on Thursday, is responsible for the two-most prolific rushing seasons in team history, posting a franchise-record 1,516 rushing yards during the 2005 season and putting together a 1,487-yard season in 2008.

Samuels was one of the game’s most dominant left tackles during his career from 2000-09, all 10 seasons of which were spent in Washington. Drafted by the Redskins out of Alabama with the No. 3 selection in the 2000 NFL Draft, Samuels started every single one of the 141 regular games and three playoff games in which he appeared. Samuels is one of five players in Redskins history to be selected to at least six Pro Bowls, as he earned berths in 2002-03 and 2005-08.

Taylor played in parts of four seasons in Washington from 2004-07 before his tragic passing. The No. 5 overall pick by the Redskins in the 2004 NFL Draft, Taylor twice earned Pro Bowl honors, including becoming the league’s first posthumous selection in 2007. The Miami (Fla.) product spent his three-plus seasons as one of the league’s most-feared hitters and one of its most athletic safeties, notching 12 interceptions and eight forced fumbles in his 57 career combined regular season and postseason games.

The 10 winners join the 70 Greatest Redskins, selected in 2002 as part of the team’s 70th anniversary. More information on those named as the 70 Greatest Redskins in 2002 can be found by visiting www.redskins.com and navigating to the “History” section under the “Team” tab at the top of the page.

-REDSKINS-

His play probably warrants inclusion, even if I couldn't stand the guy's diva act. Great list regardless. Bring on the next batch!

LaVar Douchebag ain't even a top 15 Redskin Linebacker.

He taints the whole list.

What a ****in joke.

if its in order I will argue that Taylor and Samuels need to be higher. Outside of the hogs I would say Chris is the best OL we have had...and Sean, he is just Sean.

It's in alphabetical order

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPepVf6m2zs&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Like I said, Arrington making this list is a joke.

Mother****in low life piece of overrated maggot **** out to be wrapped in chains and dumped in a swamp somewhere.

Metaphorically speaking.

I dont hate Lavar like some of you do but I wouldnt have him on the list either. Santana Moss should be there instead. If they eant to put in a recent guy.

Or hell, even fletcher.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Fletch and Moss will make the "10 for 90" list, Henry.

Someone mentioned this on another site I visit, Stephen Davis is probably more worthy of the spot than Lavar. "Had Spurrier not ruined this team, Davis would likely have been our leading rusher of all time."

Lavar was lots of flash and hype and very little substance. I agree with having Moss on there instead of him. I'm fine with the rest of the list.

I was at the playoff game in Tampa. Without question, Lavar was the best player on that field for either team.

I don't know if it translated over the tv, but Tampa's entire offensive line was looking for Lavar prior to each snap. And the Bucs fans in the stands were yelling about the need to stop him.

On a day when our offense couldn't get it going, on the biggest stage, Lavar won that game for us. He was amazing on that afternoon.

For that alone, I would put him on the list.

Agree on Stephen Davis. Moss is a great Redskin - but the complete list doesn't include any active Redskins, does it? So that's sort of irrelevant although he is worthy.

I think you guys are being a little harsh with Arrington. Although I wouldn't have put him on the list, and I dislke the guy almost as much as Ax does, it's not like he was a 'joke' of a player. His stats bear out at least consideration for the list.

It's funny that I'm the one defending him here - because I've said for years he was a self-serving douchebag and that if fans could see and hear the 'real Lavar' (like I had the opportunity to do for a period of 3 years or so), they'd hate the guy, not worship him. Mostly what I've gotten when I've shared that has been 'how can you say those things about Lavar!'

He was an impact player for the Redskins during his era. If attitude, selflessness, and character are criteria for the list, he doesn't belong on it. But he was a significant player on the field.

It's funny that I'm the one defending him here - because I've said for years he was a self-serving douchebag and that if fans could see and hear the 'real Lavar' (like I had the opportunity to do for a period of 3 years or so), they'd hate the guy, not worship him. Mostly what I've gotten when I've shared that has been 'how can you say those things about Lavar!'

He was an impact player for the Redskins during his era. If attitude, selflessness, and character are criteria for the list, he doesn't belong on it. But he was a significant player on the field.

I guess a defense for their distaste and the level of play he did provide would be the duration. He was very good for what...3 years? 4 years? While definitely the average career length for an LB in the NFL, when discussing greats I would imagine his "greatness" was so brief his douche baggery would easily eliminate it.

Just a guess...

But, my assertion that Stephen Davis could be on that list would be negated by that theory too since he was very good for only 3 years with us. I HATE STEVE SPURRIER!

Well - my feeling is that, if you get it right, no player on an 'all time great' list should inspire controversy. Leave it to the Redskins to achieve that :)

The problem with the Redskins is that they have spent 20 years struggling with the idea that just because you draft a guy with a high pick and make millions pimping gear with his name on it to the mindless masses, doesn't make the guy a star.

Arrington is a poster child for those struggles. And I think it's fair to say (okay, maybe it's not fair to say, but I can't help but think...) that the inclusion of Arrington on a greatest Redskins roster has Daniel Snyder's fingerprints all over it.

Last edited:
I hope youre kidding and will assume you are.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Kidding about what?

As for LaVar, I suppose having his radio show as a platform and one that allows him to remain relevant in current fans' minds helped convince enough fans to vote for him. As for linebackers alone, I would have even chosen Marcus Washington above him. I suppose what upsets the majority of us most about LaVar is all his wasted talent. He never seemed interested in being as good as we all thought he could be. Of course that's a bold assumption on my part, but that's the fun of being a fan

LaVar's mythical stature is based off a handful of plays. He was a decent LB for a few years. That's it. If Griffin III has equal production, at #2 overall, he will be a bust. Think about that.

He may have one of the most over exaggerated lists of on field accomplishments in Redskins history.

He intercepted a terribly underthrown pass against Carolina and returned for a touchdown. Fine. But he blew the coverage. His man had him beat, and LaVar was trying to catch up when the piss poor pass came to him. So, he does get credit for the play. But it was more a failing of the QB than anything Lavar did.

He knocked out Troy Aikman, who's knoggin was already so fragile he might have knocked himself out the next time he fell.

His interception in the Tampa playoff game was off a tipped pass. Most likely, had he been following his assignment, he wouldn't have been in position to do so.

Top 20, maybe. Top 15, probably not.

It was nice to see Hermeling get in. He held down that LT spot during the successful George Allen era. Slightly disappointed old-timers like Wilbur Moore and Dick Todd didn't get more consideration but there were probably very few voters who ever saw them play.

Squire, i meant i hope you are kidding about it being in alphabetical order.

Samuels
arrington
Taylor

Are we looking at different lists? The one I see in the OP has Arrington, Samuels, Taylor?

It's in alphabetical order

I hope youre kidding and will assume you are.

Squire, i meant i hope you are kidding about it being in alphabetical order.

Samuels
arrington
Taylor

Are we looking at different lists? The one I see in the OP has Arrington, Samuels, Taylor?

My mind is boggled as well. Mike, what list are you looking at?

This is the one in the OP, and its definitely in alphabetical order by last name:
LaVar Arrington, Bobby Beathard, Joe Bugel, Terry Hermeling, Jon Jansen, Roy Jefferson, Richie Petitbon, Clinton Portis, Chris Samuels and Sean Taylor.

I don't think arrington belongs on the list because I think attitude and behavior matter.

but i also recognize that few people agree with me on that, and most people think it's numbers and on the field only stuff that matters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.