• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Press Release: REDSKINS Resign LB Perry Riley Jr.

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
March 11, 2014

REDSKINS RE-SIGN LB PERRY RILEY

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed linebacker Perry Riley. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Riley (6-0, 238) was originally selected by the Redskins in the fourth round (103rd overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. For his career, he has appeared in 56 regular season games with 40 starts, compiling 405 tackles (232 solo), 21 passes defensed, 7.5 sacks, three fumble recoveries, one interception and one forced fumble.

In 2013, Riley led the Redskins with 153 tackles, becoming the first player on the team to surpass London Fletcher in tackles since he joined the team in 2007. In his first full season as a starter in 2012, Riley posted career highs in tackles (167) and sacks (3.5).

Riley, 25, played collegiately at Louisiana State from 2006-09, recording 185 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss, two sacks, two interceptions and two fumble recoveries.
Riley was born on May 3, 1988, and attended Stephenson H.S. in Ellenwood, Ga.

-REDSKINS-

ABOUT THE REDSKINS: Headquartered at Redskins Park in Ashburn, Virginia, and owned by Daniel Snyder, the historic Washington Redskins Football Club has won five World Championship titles including the 1937 and 1942 National Football League Championship games, as well as Super Bowls XVII, XXII and XXVI. Founded in 1932 as the Boston Braves in Massachusetts, the team changed its name to the Redskins in 1933 and relocated to Washington, D.C., in 1937. Since then, the team has become one of the most recognizable professional sports franchises in history, featuring multiple Hall of Fame coaches, 19 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame (with seven others who also were Redskins) and becoming the first team in the NFL with an official marching band and fight song, "Hail to the Redskins." The Redskins have been owned by Dan Snyder since 1999, and beginning in 1997, began playing their home games at FedExField in Landover, Md.

How much? Any terms of the deal available?

Looks like 3 years/$13 mil if I am remembering what I read correctly....

Decent money for a decent player. Riley is an OK starter nothing more at this point.

He will need to up his game to get that big paycheck at age 28.

You have to go beyond stats. Riley missed a lot of tackles as well. He was also beaten in coverage at critical times.

Riley has the talent to be an upper echelon player he just needs to be more consistent.

You can root for players while being critical of them; the two are not mutually exclusive.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

imho the Riley signing is a necessity. We cant go into the season replacing the entire middle of our defense from the d-line all the way back to the safeties. Is he a pro bowler? At the moment, probably not. Does he have the ability to be that? Yes. Is he a solid starter? Yes. Is he less expensive then someone on the market who has 115 tackles last year? Yes. He also made a lot of the pre-snap reads and changes last year. If you watch film, you'll see him positioning other players, as well as checking the coverage.

I'm not saying he's a top 5 MLB in the league or anything, but i'd put him above "ok" as a player.

The danger in going with stats is not always getting a clear picture of circumstances.

Last year Jason Tuck had 9.5 sacks but over 16 games he was far from the consistent rusher he had been in the past.

He had 3.5 sacks in one game against our own hapless offensive line and that was a third of his season total.

So do you buy Tuck as a FA based on getting almost 10 sacks or do you look at a 31 year old player who has started to decline?

In the past the Redskins might have thrown money at Tuck because of his name and past glory in the Super Bowl.

Ditto for corners with interception totals. Often the players that lead in picks are not the best corners, merely those that see the most balls come their way.

The danger in going with stats is not always getting a clear picture of circumstances.

Last year Jason Tuck had 9.5 sacks but over 16 games he was far from the consistent rusher he had been in the past.

He had 3.5 sacks in one game against our own hapless offensive line and that was a third of his season total.

So do you buy Tuck as a FA based on getting almost 10 sacks or do you look at a 31 year old player who has started to decline?

In the past the Redskins might have thrown money at Tuck because of his name and past glory in the Super Bowl.

Ditto for corners with interception totals. Often the players that lead in picks are not the best corners, merely those that see the most balls come their way.

I absolutely see your point... but 3.5 sacks against 1 team when you have 9.5 sacks on the season means roughly 37% of his sacks in 1 game. Riley having 115 tackles means that for him to have the same skew he would have to have a game with 42 tackles....

Tackles are really the only metric you can judge a linebacker with, besides breaking down his film. Even then your talking about subjective things like pursuit angles, recognition, and leadership (missed tackles would fit in here). All valid, but none as concrete as tackles.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

by the way, one of orakpo's year was similar. he had 3 sacks against the raiders and that was ~ 1/3 of his sacks for the year.

it's kind of like when hall went to the pro bowl with 6 ints, 4 of them against cutler in one game.

stats are numbers without context when it comes to football. there's 10 other guys on the field sharing responsibilities with whatever player you're talking about, and they're lined up against 11 other guys. factor in things like weather, strength of schedule, injuries for opponents and your own team, etc etc etc. it's hard to make concrete arguments one way or the other. for me it often comes down to:
i watched all 16 games, in their entirety, and here's how I feel about what I saw...

by the way, one of orakpo's year was similar. he had 3 sacks against the raiders and that was ~ 1/3 of his sacks for the year.

it's kind of like when hall went to the pro bowl with 6 ints, 4 of them against cutler in one game.

stats are numbers without context when it comes to football. there's 10 other guys on the field sharing responsibilities with whatever player you're talking about, and they're lined up against 11 other guys. factor in things like weather, strength of schedule, injuries for opponents and your own team, etc etc etc. it's hard to make concrete arguments one way or the other. for me it often comes down to:
i watched all 16 games, in their entirety, and here's how I feel about what I saw...

Agreed, but there are some stats that you can pretty well deduce whether the player was consistent or not. Total tackles being one of them. If a player has triple digit tackles, regardless of position, it tells you something about that player. If a player has triple digit receptions, again... it can tell you something about that player.... if a player has more then 16 sacks, it's still averaging 1 per game.. even a monster 4 sack game, still leads an average of almost 1 per game across the other 15. Stats can be a part of an analysis, they should be accounted, but shouldn't be the end all be all on any decision.

You're right, and I don't mean to just dismiss stats as meaningful pieces of information.

But far to often (and I do this too, I recognize that) people use stats when they fit their need and write them off when they don't. Different stats mean different things to different people.

For example - you might find a safety with triple digit tackles to mean something about him as a player, while I might find that mean something about the players around him :)

That's probably part of what makes talking football so much fun. If it was so clear cut and easy we'd probably find it boring :)

I agree with you there.. there are some valid stats that can act as a guide, and others that can be completely off base, but look really good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.