• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Press Release: Redskins Release 24 Players

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
Sept. 3, 2011
REDSKINS RELEASE 24 PLAYERS;
PLACE MOORE ON PUP

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have released 24 players and placed safety Kareem Moore on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. The following moves were made to be in accordance with the NFL’s 53-man roster limit.

WR Isaac Anderson
LB Horatio Blades
NT Anthony Bryant
T Selvish Capers
QB Kellen Clemens
TE Tony Curtis
RB Shaun Draughn
LB Thaddeus Gibson
QB Matt Gutierrez
G/T Artis Hicks
S Chris Horton
G Maurice Hurt
LB Edgar Jones
CB Reggie Jones
T Clint Oldenburg
C Donovan Raiola
WR Aldrick Robinson
RB Evan Royster
S Anderson Russell
TE Derek Schouman
S Davonte Shannon
DE Jeff Stehle
DE Doug Worthington
RB Keiland Williams

The vets on this list like Bryant, Hicks, and Blades played themselves off the team plain and simple. There were jobs there for the taking and these guys either came into camp out of shape (Bryant, Blades) or just performed as if they had nothing left (Hicks).

Change is coming, and the news coming out of Redskins Park these days is more than enough to put a smile on every true fan's face. Guys won't be coming to Washington anymore for a payday while they warm up for their Super Bowl run with another team. We will be winners once again, and the franchise everybody is proud to play for.

Two years ago, Mike Shannahan and Bruce Allen put all of Redskins nation on alert. They told us emphatically and without hesitation that change was on the way. They told us to stick by them as they attempt to steer this thing back in the right direction. Like anything else, there have been bumps along the way, but the front office is in the process of smoothing those bumps out.

The old days are over ladies and gentlemen. Great things are on the horizon. We can't live in the past anymore, and I for one, am very happy to look forward to the future with hope for the first time in decades.

We were told from day one to have faith, and everything they have done this offseason gives me plenty of reason to be optimistic. We are witnessing the rebirth of a much beloved franchise with nothing but history. It's time to look to the future full of promise that is ahead of us.

The Redskins are on the upswing. We will not be a laughing stock anymore. There are plenty of tears on our way from this franchise, but for all the right reasons. We have waited long enough, and soon we'll be rewarded for our loyalty. Keep your heads up and hold on to your seats folks, something magical is about to happen.

Trading McNabb and Haynesworth quickly was a good first step after the lockout. All the controversy died before it had a chance to get started.

I think the vet casualties at the deadline this year knew they were on the way out.

Blades had been a hard worker in years past but with the addition of several linebackers in the offseason came to camp out of shape.

Ditto for Hicks. His play in 2010 was clearly a disappointment. He was expected to be a starter and then fell to being a sub, but was running with the third team this summer.

At 32 with 10 years in the NFL and being healthy, one would expect more of a veteran like Hicks.

I think he knew he wasn't suited in terms of quickness off the ball to be effective in the ZBS.

And on the flip side of that coin Boone, Mike Sellers proved when the things are on the line he will do what needs to be done to let the coaches know he deserves a spot on this team. Over the pre-season he worked hard, from what I saw. He was a totally different player out there without Clinton Portis to hang out with at practice and goof off with.

I thought for sure he'd be gone and I am not convinced he'll be around if Cooley makes it back on the field, but he earned the shot to still be here for now. Now let's see if he can cut out the foolish penalties on Special Teams and show he can actually run the right routes.

And on the flip side of that coin Boone, Mike Sellers proved when the things are on the line he will do what needs to be done to let the coaches know he deserves a spot on this team. Over the pre-season he worked hard, from what I saw. He was a totally different player out there without Clinton Portis to hang out with at practice and goof off with.

I thought for sure he'd be gone and I am not convinced he'll be around if Cooley makes it back on the field, but he earned the shot to still be here for now. Now let's see if he can cut out the foolish penalties on Special Teams and show he can actually run the right routes.

I've been transparent that I think Sellers has a game or two every year where he's a beast, and an equal number of games where he makes a stupid mistake that costs the team big.

But that's not why I don't like him taking up a roster spot.

Tying up a roster spot on a 36 year old that could be used to see what a younger player can do - I just don't like it. I think we could have weathered the storm until Cooley gets back.

We can respectfully disagree, and this is just one move out of many that I did like.

I've been transparent that I think Sellers has a game or two every year where he's a beast, and an equal number of games where he makes a stupid mistake that costs the team big.

But that's not why I don't like him taking up a roster spot.

Tying up a roster spot on a 36 year old that could be used to see what a younger player can do - I just don't like it. I think we could have weathered the storm until Cooley gets back.

We can respectfully disagree, and this is just one move out of many that I did like.

Oh we don't disagree. I thought for sure he was a goner and I am indifferent on this one. What I was trying to say is that when the chips were down for him, he became focused. Not to mention, all the stars seemed to be aligned for him.

I also believe that we should have as much youth as possible, but who is a younger player you would have instead of him? None of the TE's we brought in stepped up. I think we realize now why all the TE's were brought in during the off-season and Sellers was shifted over, Cooley may not see the field for us in the near future. If Cooley were healthy Sellers would have been one of the casualties today. And I would have been ok with that too.

Gotcha...

I'd have kept any number of guys over Sellers - Keiland Williams for sure, but even guys like Blades, Capers, or Royster. Worse case scenario, I'd have used that spot to pick up O-Line depth via the waiver wire.

They may still do that Boone. It could be that they have their eyes on someone who was cut, and Sellers is at the top of the expendable list.

My worry that no one seems to be worrying about is corner back.

We've got only five on the roster and in the NFL there's a lot of four receiver sets these days. Add into that that Wilson is coming off an injury and both our starting safties are dinged and one may not even play and the defensive backfield feels really thin. Now, Buchannon is coming back after a few games, but still...

Luckily, we seem much better at generating pressure this year, but that could really hurt us.

Because of that and because of the depth at guard... I think we're still planning some roster moves.

I read somewhere we were trying to trade a receiver like Stallworth. Is that still the case ? And if we don't find a trade partner, do we keep the 8 receivers, or cut one, and replace with a lineman ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.