• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Press Release: REDSKINS FINALIZE PRACTICE SQUAD; CLAIM CB CREZDON BUTLER OFF WAIVERS

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
September 3, 2012

REDSKINS FINALIZE PRACTICE SQUAD;
CLAIM CB CREZDON BUTLER OFF WAIVERS

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed the following players to their practice squad:

WR Emmanuel Arceneaux
RB Antwon Bailey
T Tom Compton
LB Darryl Gamble
FB Robert Hughes
TE Deangelo Peterson
DL Jason Shirley
DE Doug Worthington

Bailey (5-7, 195), Compton (6-5, 308) and Worthington (6-5, 311) spent the preseason with the Redskins. Arceneaux (6-2, 215) appeared in three games last season with the Minnesota Vikings after playing two seasons in the Canadian Football League. Gamble (6-2, 255) was originally signed by the San Diego Chargers as a college free agent on July 26, 2011, and appeared in five games with the Chargers last season. Hughes (5-11, 235) entered the NFL as a college free agent with the Chicago Bears on July 26, 2011, and spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this offseason. Peterson (6-3, 243) is a rookie who spent the preseason with the St. Louis Rams after being signed as a college free agent on May 8, 2012. Shirley (6-5, 329) entered the league as a fifth-round pick (145th overall) of the Cincinnati Bengals in the 2008 NFL Draft. He has spent time with the Bengals, Seattle Seahawks, Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts during his career, including appearing in three games with Cincinnati in 2008 and four games with Carolina in 2011.

On Saturday, the team claimed cornerback Crezdon Butler off of waivers from Arizona. Butler (6-0, 191) originally entered the NFL as a fifth-round pick (164th overall) of the Steelers in 2010. The 25-year-old Clemson product has played in five career games in his two NFL seasons, appearing in four contests with Pittsburgh in 2010 and one game with Arizona in 2011 before being placed on the Reserve/Injured list.

Additionally, running back Tristan Davis and fullback Dorson Boyce have reverted to the team’s Reserve/Injured list.

-REDSKINS-​

Interesting that Markus White's name does not appear on this list.

I said it before, the club seems to really like trolling the IR lists at the end of each season to see which players are rehabbing to come back and may be released.

Just look at Josh Morgan. He missed almost the entire 2011 season and a guy I see as a second-tier free agent, we signed on Day 1 or 2 of free agency.

Meanwhile, the 49ers let Morgan go and sign Manningham and Randy Moss.

Here we go again

I said it before, the club seems to really like trolling the IR lists at the end of each season to see which players are rehabbing to come back and may be released.

and we can't use the excuse that we had no choice but to sign the injured Butler because he was the best player available, or we couldn't afford anyone else due to out "cap hit"

I think Manningham is a better bet than Morgan. He is healthy, as young or younger, and coming off a clutch performance in the 2011 playoffs and Super Bowl.

Fear, I really can't understand some of your responses over a number of posts.

Where I support the organization in re the situation at safety and the impact of the cap penalty, you seem to rail about questionable character.

Then as here when I criticize ONE move by the organization for a player that missed ALL of last season, you have an issue with that and try to equate Morgan to a guy who was one of the Giant's playoff MVPs last season??!!!! :)

You really think coming off the 2011 season, this past March and April that Manningham and Morgan based on their recent production were equals in free agency?

Come on.

Nobody but the Redskins seemed interested in paying Morgan $5M for 2012.

Manningham had his chance and couldn't beat out Cruz, who was what, a seventh round player? I've never been impressed with his inconsistency.

Never been impressed with Morgan either, but I suspect the FO felt he had a higher ceiling. Probably not a move I would have made though.

Manningham had his chance and couldn't beat out Cruz, who was what, a seventh round player? I've never been impressed with his inconsistency.

Cruz was a UDFA. And yeah, Manningham has been very inconsistent.

Never been impressed with Morgan either, but I suspect the FO felt he had a higher ceiling. Probably not a move I would have made though.

Morgan has always had a high ceiling, he just couldn't stay healthy. Hopefully this year is the "charm" for him.

I hope so, if for no other reason than I don't want to have to listen to the "I told you so" chorus. :)

I think Manningham is a better bet than Morgan. He is healthy, as young or younger, and coming off a clutch performance in the 2011 playoffs and Super Bowl.

Where I support the organization in re the situation at safety and the impact of the cap penalty, you seem to rail about questionable character.

Then as here when I criticize ONE move by the organization for a player that missed ALL of last season, you have an issue with that and try to equate Morgan to a guy who was one of the Giant's playoff MVPs last season??!!!! :)

You really think coming off the 2011 season, this past March and April that Manningham and Morgan based on their recent production were equals in free agency?

Come on.

I agree that injuries are concerning and picking players from the injury discount bin isn't the preferred way to bolster a team, but I am cautiously optimistic about the Morgan signing. Manningham had character issues that dropped him in the draft as well as some injury history in his time in the NFL. Maybe there's a reason the Giants didn't resign him.

"Amid published reports that Manningham failed multiple drug tests while playing at Michigan, teams are more likely to pass on the Wolverine superstar during the first round. Manningham, who was suspended for one game during his three year collegiate career, originally denied the failed test in individual team interviews at the combine, but later acknowledged his drug usage in a letter to all of the teams several weeks ago. By failing to be forthright in team interviews, Manningham has raised concerns about his maturity. Teams will take this latest situation and add it to the list of reported run-ins Manningham had with coaches during his tenure as a Wolverine, the combination of which will to make a strong case for dropping Manningham down the draft board. "
http://www.experts123.com/q/will-ma...ause-him-to-slide-out-of-the-first-round.html

Come on.

I did not make any reference to Morgan or Manningham in my post, and they were no part of my argument.
I'm just saying, that in other positions, the argument and rationalizing made by you and perhaps others, is that we had no choice but to settle for "damaged goods", either injury-wise or character-wise, as a result of us being strapped by the cap penalty. But we cannot use that excuse in the corner position, because there were surely better options available than yet another guy who's coming off a year-lonf injury.

I have almost always criticized dependence upon acquiring players who are coming off year long injuries.

What I did say in regards to the safety position is that Madieu Williams and Tanard Jackson may have been the best bridge for 2012, given the limited number of picks and the cap penalty.

Both were fairly healthy (Jackson's calf was not a major injury) and while Jackson had been suspended in the past the team signed him to a low-risk veteran minimum deal, unlike Josh Morgan who received a pretty big contract for a guy that has never played 16 games as a regular in the NFL.

He quickly got claimed by the Bucs and put them on their PS. That is much closer to his home and that is why he probably made the choice.

Ah, so was he offered the PS and turned it down to sign with the Bucs? Or they claimed him after we released him?

I have no inside information but my guess is that White realized due to the depth here he was not going to get the opportunity to get activated to the regular roster in all likelihood during the season and decided to go to a team where he had a better shot of seeing the field down the road.

Really can't blame him.

I am torn on that final LB spot. Yes, Wilson had a good camp and played well in the preseason but he's also the final backup at age 31 on a unit with younger starters on the outside.

I don't know that I might not have kept White at age 23 and having invested a draft pick in him.

Wilson like Chris Clemons, another ex-Redskin, is an NFL nomad.

TE Michael Hoomanawanui has been signed to the Practice Squad. Best name ever, if nothing else.

I hope he's a short yardage blocker, we have enough budding receivers at TE.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.