• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Practice Squad is taking shape

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
RealRedskins
RT @BradBiggs: #Bears will sign ex- #Redskins G/C Edwin Williams to the practice squad per source.

CindyBoren
RT @PaulTenorio: Tackle Will Robinson joins the #Redskins practice squad.

john_keim
Terrence Austin to the PS, league source says.

PaulTenorio
Rob Jackson signed to the Redskins practice squad.

PaulTenorio
Safety Anderson Russell has signed with the Redskins practice squad, league source confirms.

RedskinsInsider
Offensive lineman Selvish Capers is also signing to the Redskins practice squad, a league source said.

RedskinsInsider
Running back Ryan Torain cleared waivers and signed with the Redskins practice squad, a league source confirmed.

PaulTenorio
Final member of practice squad is C/G Erik Cook, a seventh-round pick out of New Mexico.

Last edited:
Burgundy Burner, on the job :cheers:

I gotta say the Terrance Austin move still has me confused. The more I think about it, the more I opine he showed more in pre-season games than Banks did. I like Banks and really enjoyed seeing an explosive, elusive returner on punts, but how many will he put on the ground?

Glad to see Austin and Capers on the practice squad.

I think that decision is all about 'upside' Elephant. Yeah, Banks pre-season performances were 'scary', from all angles. But I think a real *threat* on returns is so rare, the coaches felt it was worth the risk. Ball control, technique can be coached. Speed, elusiveness, and creativity cannot. I think it's a smart move. He could be a game-changer.

I think that decision is all about 'upside' Elephant. Yeah, Banks pre-season performances were 'scary', from all angles. But I think a real *threat* on returns is so rare, the coaches felt it was worth the risk. Ball control, technique can be coached. Speed, elusiveness, and creativity cannot. I think it's a smart move. He could be a game-changer.

I get that Boone, but Austin had some quality special teams play himself and several 3rd down conversions while appearing far more consistent. I guess my conservative nature is dominating my train of thought in this situation.

But Banks sure is explosive. I can't wait to see him run back a punt against the girls next Sunday!

I'm really not arguing with you - I've had some of the same reservations...every spot is a judgment call. Until proven wrong I'm willing to give the coaches who've seen much more than we have to date the benefit of the doubt.

I'm really not arguing with you - I've had some of the same reservations...every spot is a judgment call. Until proven wrong I'm willing to give the coaches who've seen much more than we have to date the benefit of the doubt.

Oh I wasn't taking it as an argument, merely trying to help me understand. The coaches have seen much more in practice and are far better qualified to make these decisions. After what I saw in pre-season, I think I would have chosen Austin over Banks. I like Banks and I saw his dynamic play, I am just more interested in a player who will quietly go out and do his job without much risk for mistake. I don't like roller coaster rides anymore.

I'm wondering if they looked at the risk factor of placing Banks on the Practice Squad? You think maybe they saw Austin less likely to get scooped up by another team?

Oh I wasn't taking it as an argument, merely trying to help me understand. The coaches have seen much more in practice and are far better qualified to make these decisions. After what I saw in pre-season, I think I would have chosen Austin over Banks. I like Banks and I saw his dynamic play, I am just more interested in a player who will quietly go out and do his job without much risk for mistake. I don't like roller coaster rides anymore.

I'm wondering if they looked at the risk factor of placing Banks on the Practice Squad? You think maybe they saw Austin less likely to get scooped up by another team?

Maybe. That's a great example of the kinds of nuances involved in the decisions though - something fans don't always acknowledge. May well have come down to something like that.

I think this is probably the case. Austin is also a developmental project, one a few years away from contributing. What team is going to snatch a developmental WR off another team's practice squad, knowing the player will not be contributing to their team that much right away? They can pick up any number of free agents who would be better suited to quickly picking up an NFL offense right away.

But Banks? Well, he could win a team a game or two this season. Granted, he could also lose a game or two this season, but his impact is likely going to be more immediate, which is generally why you take someone off the PS.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Another factor that Banks might add-even given an occasional problem with the "dropsies" which as has been mentioned, can be worked on with coaching-is in changing how an opponent sets up their secondary. His speed has already been seen to give an ability to gain separation, especially on deep throws, that an opponent has to keep in mind thus limiting the options available to them in pass D.

That was my first thought. Austin didn't garner the attention Banks did by taking one 70+ yards to the house on national television. Not saying he was bad or even better than Banks but Banks has the ESPN highlight of the Skins preseason and might have been considered a target by the team. Who knows...maybe someone even inquired about picking him up which lead the team to believe he wouldn't clear waivers?

I thought the Practice Squad was increased to eight players from seven, or am I dreaming it? In any event, I'm kinda surprised about Cook. I didn't think he showed much all preseason. Then again, the PS seems to change quite a bit over the course of a season so I guess the way it looks now makes a good bit of sense.

As far as Austin is concerned, I think it says a lot that he made it through waivers. Especially with the many wide reciever needy teams out there.

I am still surprised Banks made the roster. He reminds me of a guy we had during Gibbs II. I think his name was Antonio Brown. Seemed like a dynamic returner, but just couldn't hold onto the ball. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I am pretty sure this is the guy I am thinking of.

http://blog.redskins.com/2010/09/06...ad/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Redskins announced the eighth member of their practice squad today, linebacker Mike Balogun. Balogun spent the preseason with the San Francisco 49ers, where he tallied eight tackles, one interception, and two special teams tackles in his four preseason games.

More at the link above - including some interesting notes about him.

The composition of the practice squad is going to change over the course of the season.

Teams sign their own former picks at first and then look around and find other players they want to look at.

That's how the Redskins ended up with Anthony Armstrong last year.

Don't expect Terrence Austin to last on the PS the entire season. I would expect when injuries hit teams that Austin could be looked at as a potential #5 to come in as a backup and perhaps return some punts as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.