• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

post pre-season concerns

fansince62

ok....we saw a lot of good things. this is the first time IN YEARS that the Skins have looked disciplined, talented, competitive. the rebuild has begun in earnest and it looks like the restaffing effort has been done smartly. that said...what still seems problematic and will likely persist into next off-season. to start the list

1) obviously...QB

2) cornerbacks: not sure whether that part of secondary is a strength or a weakness

ok....we saw a lot of good things. this is the first time IN YEARS that the Skins have looked disciplined, talented, competitive. the rebuild has begun in earnest and it looks like the restaffing effort has been done smartly. that said...what still seems problematic and will likely persist into next off-season. to start the list

1) obviously...QB

2) cornerbacks: not sure whether that part of secondary is a strength or a weakness

We really won't know about the QB situation until we're about half way through the season IMO. I won't pass judgment till we have real game action.

I'm concerned with the corners. Hall is a ball hawk, but gets beat too often in man coverage, and he's our best corner. Hope one of the young guys develops fast, or maybe we find some help there on the waiver wire in the days to come.

I like that Josh Wilson did exactly what a #1 CB in this league should do against backups, he got an int last night. He looked healthy and ready to play football last night.

I know this is a thread for concerns and I agree QB is a major concern still, but I cannot help but notice how happy these guys are! It seems like a total contrast to the team's overall tenor going into last season.

I don't have any 'concerns' only because this isn't a one-year project. We should be overjoyed - seriously - at the progress and clear 'plan' that is being executed. Imagine where we might be with 4 years of this type of reasonable, productive approach. We need a franchise QB, and I'm not seeing the O-line we'll need to truly dominate the NFC East yet. We're also not set at WR either. I think we've got some guys who can play, but Santana has 2 good seasons in him before he really starts declining. And I'm really not sure where our defense is...no doubt better...but I'm not ready to think we're done there either.

Generally speaking though, what's not to be happy about? We are moving in the right direction, and honestly except for the McNabb reach, this front office and coaching staff appears to know exactly what they are doing.

Actually, basing it only on the preseason, we shouldn't have qb concerns. Our qbs were magnificent (except against TB) throughout the preseason and against elite defenses.

The fault you have with qbs is a preconception that you carry with you from before the lockout and decided to doggedly hold on to. Now, you may be right... once there's less vanilla Grossman or Beck might revert to blech, but based on the pre-season we witnessed this is an unreasonable complaint.

I don't have high expectations for this year, so anything above 8 wins will be a plus. This team is a work in progress, which for first time in many years is headed in right direction.

Other than QB, I still have concerns over the OL and DL. OL did well, but Tampa's reserve got way too much pressure against them. I want to see the OL and DL against couple good teams hold their own. If DL finally starts to put some pressure on opposing QB's our secondary will suddenly look good.

I'm also still not sold on "Oh No" Gano.

My only concern is that the time between now and the opening kickoff Sept. 11th seems to be moving...

too

damn

slow.

Actually, basing it only on the preseason, we shouldn't have qb concerns. Our qbs were magnificent (except against TB) throughout the preseason and against elite defenses.

The fault you have with qbs is a preconception that you carry with you from before the lockout and decided to doggedly hold on to. Now, you may be right... once there's less vanilla Grossman or Beck might revert to blech, but based on the pre-season we witnessed this is an unreasonable complaint.

While Beck and Grossman looked pretty good in the first 3 games, I don't think you can say they were magnificent or that any concerns about them are just preconceptions. We can't say either of those things until such time as defenses are game planning specifically for them and for this offense. Did we look better than last year? Yes. Did we do it against some of the better defensive teams in the league? Yes. Does any of that equate to "magnificent"? No, not till it happens when the games count.

We have all been around enough to know can just as easily be a mirage as a harbinger of greatness. In fact, I think the odds are about even in favor of either outcome.

I can :)

Grossman was magnificent in that first Steelers game and absolutely shredded them. He missed nothing and the team was moving with perfect efficiency. Likewise, Beck was hitting at 90% for most of the first half against Indi (okay, it was Indi in the preseason, but he was operating like it was a seven on seven drill)

Against, the Ravens, that was a good qb performance relative to what the Ravens D allows anyone to do. The two minute drive especially.

Does it mean anything? I have no clue, but I will say I feel much, much better about our qbing than I did in July.

Overall, I'm very happy and excited about what I've seen so far this year. I couldn't have asked for a more positive preseason. (Well, I would have preferred to have not lost Jenkins for the year, but I guess that sort of thing just happens). I think I fall mostly in line with what Boone said earlier in the thread, that no matter what happens this season it appears that we have upper management at long last following what appears to be a sane, productive plan. I think that in time we'll find ourselves with an upper echelon ball club. While some teams who follow this plan never seem to get over the top, I think that here's where the money of Daniel Snyder makes the difference. Maybe not this year, but at some point down the line it will.

I really don't know what to expect come opening day.....but I also know better than to think that the game against the Giants will tell the tale for the season. Win or lose, it'll be games 2 thru 4 that will tell us what we have. The team feels, for the first time in a long time, like a team. No dissension, no strife. I'm not worried about the QB position....either guy can put us in a position to win. Frankly, I'm not worried about the "skill" positions at all.....on either side of the ball. What I'm concerned with is defensive line depth....and most importantly, the offensive line. I feel like the OL has made great strides and that in time may develop into a great unit (emphasis on the word UNIT). Still, we may be a year or two away from having an elite unit there. If we can handle the blitzes and make smart choices from the QB position under pressure (and we WILL be under pressure), then I think anything can happen this year.

Lotta "ifs".....but at the very base level, I'm excited for the season and for the direction the team seems to be going in.

Let's get the cuts done today....and let's get to game one. Bring on the Giants!!

I want to echo Tarhog's .... er Boone's sentiments. This is a multi-year project and so I don't really care if we don't have all aspects of the team strong headed into the season. I expect that we can only take care of this piece by piece.

That said, if I were to point out some concerns they would be:

1) QB (however I hope we are still planning on addressing this in next year's draft)
2) Safety (in particular, the health of Landry - seems to be a lingering issue headed into opening day)
3) OL consistency and depth (maybe the performance against TB was a lack of mental preparedness? will we pick up some depth after roster cutdowns this weekend?)
4) All other WR not named Moss (Austin has shown flashes and I'm bullish on him and Armstrong seems to be a one-trick pony - I don't feel confident that we have much of a passing attack this year esp with Cooley injured)
5) LB (our interior LB corps is still suspect)

I want to echo Tarhog's .... er Boone's sentiments. This is a multi-year project and so I don't really care if we don't have all aspects of the team strong headed into the season. I expect that we can only take care of this piece by piece.

That said, if I were to point out some concerns they would be:

1) QB (however I hope we are still planning on addressing this in next year's draft)
2) Safety (in particular, the health of Landry - seems to be a lingering issue headed into opening day)
3) OL consistency and depth (maybe the performance against TB was a lack of mental preparedness? will we pick up some depth after roster cutdowns this weekend?)
4) All other WR not named Moss (Austin has shown flashes and I'm bullish on him and Armstrong seems to be a one-trick pony - I don't feel confident that we have much of a passing attack this year esp with Cooley injured)
5) LB (our interior LB corps is still suspect)

that's the point of the thread: identifying the pieces..based on imperfect/limited pre-season games...that will need attention next year. we'll be talking about all of this stuff at season's end. I thought it would be interesting to build a list now and contrast it with what the community focuses on down the road.

Bryant on the DL and a guy like Hicks on the OL were both borderline NFLers at this point in their careers - the team was not losing out on anything by releasing them. My feeling is anyone we can sign off the street or waiver wire right now could be as good or better for the team in 2011 and evidently Shanahan thought the same thing.

that's the point of the thread: identifying the pieces..based on imperfect/limited pre-season games...that will need attention next year. we'll be talking about all of this stuff at season's end. I thought it would be interesting to build a list now and contrast it with what the community focuses on down the road.
Don't read me wrong, love the thread. I was just qualifying my answers.

Boone, why don't you feel comfortable with our receivers ?
We've got a lot of promising youth there we can build on.
Obviously Moss is getting up there in years, but you always want 1 or 2 seasoned vets at a position.

Boone, why don't you feel comfortable with our receivers ?
We've got a lot of promising youth there we can build on.
Obviously Moss is getting up there in years, but you always want 1 or 2 seasoned vets at a position.

Oh, I'm not particularly worried about WR for now - I'm just pointing out that when Santana is gone, who's our sure fire #1? It's possible Gaffney or Hankerson could fill that role, but I think that's being hopeful. Gaffney is 30, so he's not the answer. Hankerson is a project - he has the physical skills to be a great WR, whether he develops and becomes consistent is an open question.

Oh, I'm not particularly worried about WR for now - I'm just pointing out that when Santana is gone, who's our sure fire #1? It's possible Gaffney or Hankerson could fill that role, but I think that's being hopeful. Gaffney is 30, so he's not the answer. Hankerson is a project - he has the physical skills to be a great WR, whether he develops and becomes consistent is an open question.

I see, but anytime a team is rebuilding, there are going to be questions and concerns about whether the young players develop the way you hope.

Well, like I said fear, I don't see this as a 1 year process, so I really don't have any 'concerns'. Preaching to the choir brother :)

What Shanahan has done in 2011 is acquire players at other spots so the team can focus the draft and free agency on key positions in 2012 such as qb and perhaps a #1 receiver.

This year Haslett needed to get players on D and that was the focus.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

What Shanahan has done in 2011 is acquire players at other spots so the team can focus the draft and free agency on key positions in 2012 such as qb and perhaps a #1 receiver.

This year Haslett needed to get players on D and that was the focus.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

that and RB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.