• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Portis seal his fate ?

I feel more strongly about cutting Portis, only because Moss has been able to stay on the field more consistently and produce when he was there. However, I've advocated to shedding most of the Gibb's years veterans as well, and Moss is one of them. At some point, you just have to draw a line in the sand and say 'we're going young across the board'.

I expect that both Moss will be resigned and CP will restructure and be back, Moss has a few good years left and can play all the WR slots. CP hasn't stayed healthy, its a concern but for the right price he's still intense as hell when he's on the field, something young players need to see.

I'll respectfully but vehemently disagree. We cannot afford to tie up a roster spot on Portis who, even if he is healthy enough to start, is a single concussion away from being out for the year from here on out. But he's been a good back and understand others disagree. I just don't think his talent level at this point in his career justifies the risk or the roster commitment. Moss I could go either way on.

Look, Portis' contract if he is brought back calls for him to earn $6.5M.

Nobody in their right mind is going to bring him back at that number.

It's time to cut him and Santana Moss loose and let them move on. We need to do the same.

Portis and Moss were in their prime in 2005 when Joe took this team to 10-6 but that was the crest.

Both players' playmaking abilities have eroded year by year.

I agree with CP, but Santana just tied his record receptions on Sunday and will likely break it this weekend. Why would you let him go when we need so much help at that position yet more glaring needs in other places?

Of course, he is a FA and if he demands a huge contract, I say let him go!. But if he realizes his days a #1 are over and is willing to sign for less, then why not sign him? He is still productive.

we cant let anyone go if we dont have a viable option to take their place, its that simple. in a perfect world where we only had a few holes and a lot of draft picks id say go young immediately, we dont have thet option at every spot, there are more pressing needs right now.

I don't agree. Walking away from a 32 year old receiver who is 5'9 and has slowed down a bit is the smart move. Signing him to a contract extension means you are realistically looking for production from him at 34 or 35?

That is simply putting off pain to the future which is something this organization has done WAY too much of over the years.

Again, with McNabb, Haynesworth, and a host of other players off the field the Redskins in the past 2 games haven't looked any worse than they did with them ON the field earlier in the season.

I think that is a subtle sign that there are in fact few players on this team that are MUST HAVES, guys that we HAVE to sign or resign.

If we can rebuild at 6-10 with them we can certainly rebuild at 6-10 without them.

In my mind anyone that is 31 or 32 years old on this club SHOULD be at risk if they are a free agent or their contract has become outsized.

With a new labor agreement there will be a reinvigorated cap and the last thing we need is for any additional space allocated for guys that are more past than future.

look at it from shannys view, not only are we already committed to a massive turnover on the roster again, but we have evry limited resources to do it, if we cut moss who is the number 2? because we already need a #1. if we get a number 1 then mss becaomes a solid number 2 and hopfully we can get a cap friendly deal on him, if not yeah I would cut him too. but we have so mny more pressing needs at the monmet.

if we make a run at Fitz Moss is gone...plain and simple.

why is that? Moss would be an excellent Y or Z to Fitz's X. Probably would extend Moss' career. A money matter? Moss wouldn't accept the change?

if we get fitz (and given our recent fun times with free agents thats a huge if) I could see us getting rid of moss, but moss is a solid player and if hes willing to take a low cap number I think we keep him, we arent in a position to chase away talent. if we were set at wr and several youngs guys then we could pull a Patriots and trade him now while he is worth something. we arent.

My biggest reason for thinking this is simple.

make a list of our needs on offence, then once you prioritise that list and add defence and prioritise that list you see that we are going to struggle as it is without adding more resource draining holes.

a LOT will depend on middle tier free agents who are available, because money is never an issue with this team.

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Portis is still trying to talk his way out of DC

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2130753

Portis said the Redskins lost a lot of close games in which a play or two by Haynesworth could have made a difference. "When you go and sacrifice a guy such as an Albert Haynesworth to prove like, 'OK. This is my team, I'm in control,' sacrifice a guy you know can help you win _ it's get with the program or get out," Portis said

I think if we get Fitz that Armstrong moves to slot and hits the big streak routes. plus I think we will need the money

got it. well...I hope we trade then. SM still has several good years in him.

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Portis is still trying to talk his way out of DC

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2130753

Portis said the Redskins lost a lot of close games in which a play or two by Haynesworth could have made a difference. "When you go and sacrifice a guy such as an Albert Haynesworth to prove like, 'OK. This is my team, I'm in control,' sacrifice a guy you know can help you win _ it's get with the program or get out," Portis said

you missed the part where he gives shannhan credit for changing the mentality and uses haynesworth as an example that noone is above the law anymore.

I hope both Portis, and Moss, are back next year.

Fix the lines. Both of them.

Do that, and we can be in contention next Dec-Jan.

Do it not, and we'll be out of it before November ends.

Just got home last night, did I miss a rumor that we are going after Fitzgerald?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

you missed the part where he gives shannhan credit for changing the mentality and uses haynesworth as an example that noone is above the law anymore.

Not really. When I read that it just clarified to me that Portis just runs his yap to hear himself talk. Like you said, he started with the "No one is special" spew and then turns right around and contradicts himself with the "Mikes an asshole for not playing Butterworth" rant

I hope to God he's gone next year. His act wore thin with me years ago

Just got home last night, did I miss a rumor that we are going after Fitzgerald?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device
You know how it goes around here. We're going after every free agent available, whether we actually are, or not.

Mediots RULE!!!

I dont think its a secret that the Skins like high profile free agents. And with the desperate need for a legit #1 WR I dont think its that far of a stretch to say we will be in the immediate running for Fitz.

it'll ultimately mean a first round pick or more.

My mistake. If the Redskins were to bring back Portis his cap number for next year is in fact $8.3M and not the $6.5M I stated earlier.

Anyone still think that Portis returns in 2011?

If CP leaves I don't think it would be a bad idea to dig around the draft pool with a center in mind-I rather like Mike Pouncey or O'Dowd from USC but they might go early-I'm thinking lower rounds, unless someone like those above slips through to 6 or 7.

Well, depending upon what happens at guard, the Redskins do have Montgomery and Lichtensteiger who came into the NFL projected as centers. Montgomery played well in relief of Rabach at center.

I would not be surprised to see one of these two players move over and play center and then see the team either sign a guard in free agency or draft one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.