• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Poll: AP NFL MVP

Who is the 2022 NFL MVP?

• CIN - Joe Burrow - QB

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • KC - Patrick Mahomes - QB

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • PHI - Jalen Hurts - QB

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • BUF - Josh Allen - QB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MIN - Justin Jefferson - WR

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don’t really care for Mahomes but he is unequivocally MVP. He is statistically in another stratosphere (I looked them up because I was hoping I could make a case for someone else. I can’t. Burrow and Hurts really elevate their teams and deserve mention. But Mahomes is at a whole other level. The hype isn’t hype. He is superhuman.

Reactions: Om
Thing about "MVP" is it means different things to different people. It's kind of become a "best player" thing over the years. To me it has always been more about what player is/was the most valuable player to his team in a given year ... which is what I think it used to mean back in the day.

Strong arguments to be made on that question as well.

I think this year, neither the Chiefs, nor the Bengals, nor Philly are playoff teams with lesser QBs. So in that sense all 3 are MVPs.

Clearly we need another post-season award ...

Team Likely to Benefit Most From Franchise QB

Who might be on that list I wonder?

It would be nice to see Jefferson win it, but he had some stinkers late in the season. The problem with a WR is that you are dependent on someone getting you the ball. I wish Kupp had won last year as he was even more dominant. So if he didn’t win last year, I doubt Jefferson does this year. But I’m rooting for it to happen.

So the winner to me is Mahomes. Hurts getting hurt definitely hurts (couldn’t help it). Allen also got banged up, but I think he is most valuable to his team. Burrow had a slow start to the year and I think most of the year was more under the radar. Mahomes just keeps doing Mahomes things even while losing Hill. I think he wins by default.

He broke like 14 all time NFL records this season including the most passing yards EVER. There’s really no debating it unless we go down the ‘alternative MVP definition’ path and then it’s easier to make the case for other players. But from a pure ‘who had the biggest year’ vatage point got to be Mahommes.

No argument there. Mahomes is redefining the position.

I agree with Om about needing another post-season award.

I'm thinking we need MVP-QB and MVP-Other because, in the last 20 years, it has only gone a non-QB 3 times (all RBs).

Since 1980 it has gone to non-QBs 10 times - all RBs except for Lawrance Tayle (86) and Mark Mosely (82).

Before 1980, the award had about a 50/50 shot of going to someone other than a QB. Assuming it is Mahomes this year, this will make 13 straight years that the league MVP (from the AP, anyway) has been a QB.

Agree Neophyte. I think QBs are almost by default going to be the identified MVPs because other than the center they are the only position that touches the ball on every play. Almost by definition they have the most potential value. While that’s true, it doesn’t leave much room for others who excel to be recognized. Why not have a QB, Offensive, and Defensive MVP award?

Agreed. And maybe a Special Teams award too.

In the quick history I looked through, Taylor and Alan Page were the only two defensive names I saw and Moseley the only non-22 name.

Every other name was either a QB or a RB.

No WRs. No DEs. No CBs.

Crazy considering the talent level in this league. Also crazy considering the way the league has slanted the rules for QBs and against pretty much every other position except for WRs.

They do have the offensive player of the year award. as well as a defensive player of the year award. The AP offensive player of the year goes to non QBs more often (13 non QBs and 9 QBs since 2000). The last 3 have all gone to non QBs. I think the voters are recognizing the need for having an offensive award that isn't just going to the QBs. I'm still rooting for a non QB to win it though. I just don't think this is the year it will happen.

I agree with Om about needing another post-season award.

I'm thinking we need MVP-QB and MVP-Other because, in the last 20 years, it has only gone a non-QB 3 times (all RBs).

Since 1980 it has gone to non-QBs 10 times - all RBs except for Lawrance Tayle (86) and Mark Mosely (82).

Before 1980, the award had about a 50/50 shot of going to someone other than a QB. Assuming it is Mahomes this year, this will make 13 straight years that the league MVP (from the AP, anyway) has been a QB.

Similar to the Heisman. Since 2000 19 of 22 are QBs.

They do have the offensive player of the year award. as well as a defensive player of the year award. The AP offensive player of the year goes to non QBs more often (13 non QBs and 9 QBs since 2000). The last 3 have all gone to non QBs. I think the voters are recognizing the need for having an offensive award that isn't just going to the QBs. I'm still rooting for a non QB to win it though. I just don't think this is the year it will happen.

Thanks Kel. Still not quite the same thing as I'm talking about. Now make QBs ineligible for the OPOY award and maybe that solves it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.