• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Please, Please, Please, cut preseason in half

B Mitch, Doc etc. at ESPN 980 were hot and heavy on the worth of preseason, B Mitch really harped on the ticket prices.

DYoung was asked about the topic, pick it up at the 5:00 min mark if not interested in the entire interview

ESPN 980 Audio Vault - Play Now

Come on Fear... I know you're smart enough to know I was giving an example of injuries happening at any time. There was no logic implied as to the number of preseason games played. Pure example, and nothing more. Some folks deem part of the preseason unnecessary, while others don't. Coaches, players, fans... there's a divide. No matter how it boils down, they will still play the same number of games combined, which seemed very clear from what I read coming out of the league office. Same number of games nets no reduction in the chances of being injured while on the field. Could actually raise the chances being the games count, and people play for keeps when their keepin score.

There is a deeper level were not looking at here though.. In preseason, you generally have guys who are "new" to the game, on the pro level, as well as inexperienced guys, and guys trying to stand out. Regular season i dont think Keller's knee gets turned sideways. Vets dont make that hit. Not saying it was dirty, but the guy who made the hit was a rookie.

I am absolutely looking at it from multiple viewpoints and let me say i'm against having 4 preseason games, but i want to look at it objectively. I understand where it comes from, but i see the risk in it as well. Preseason is a necessity. Scrimmages dont fill stadiums, so you're not going to get the owner vote on that, and when you have to cut your roster virtually in half... coaches are going to lobby for as much field time at game speed as they can... and they should. We have a good coaching staff that obviously has found talent in depth that without the preseason, may have been overlooked. Are they boring? Yes. Are they a risk? Yes.

I personally feel that the season format is the problem BEFORE the preseason. Guys shouldn't be walking onto the field for their first preseason game 2 weeks after camp breaks. Extend the Training Camp period to July 15, and include a scrimmage. That's 3 - 4 weeks for guys to get into "football shape." Then put your starters out there for their longest field time in game 1. That way minor injuries have 4 weeks to recover... guys are getting field time to get into the swing, and that leave 3 weeks to evaluate, while still giving starters 3 preseason games on the field. I know this isnt going to be popular but i think a lot of the injuries we're seeing is from guys not being able to get back into game shape, and gettin thrown back into the mix 2 weeks after camp breaks.

eh. 2 preseason games is enough. there's a growing trend of teams holding week long practices against one another: Philly and NE did it this training camp. the rooks can get their looks. my guess is that this would increase if there were fewer preseason games.

And since a player can be lost for the season opening day, that justifies having 4 pre-season games ?
Then why not use that logic, to increase to 8 pre-season games, since players can be hurt anytime of year anyway ?

Once again, you use poor a analogy. That is not what I was saying at all! And I shouldn't need to be more clear, it was clear enough the first time I said it.

There is a deeper level were not looking at here though.. In preseason, you generally have guys who are "new" to the game, on the pro level, as well as inexperienced guys, and guys trying to stand out. Regular season i dont think Keller's knee gets turned sideways. Vets dont make that hit. Not saying it was dirty, but the guy who made the hit was a rookie.

I am absolutely looking at it from multiple viewpoints and let me say i'm against having 4 preseason games, but i want to look at it objectively. I understand where it comes from, but i see the risk in it as well. Preseason is a necessity. Scrimmages dont fill stadiums, so you're not going to get the owner vote on that, and when you have to cut your roster virtually in half... coaches are going to lobby for as much field time at game speed as they can... and they should. We have a good coaching staff that obviously has found talent in depth that without the preseason, may have been overlooked. Are they boring? Yes. Are they a risk? Yes.

I personally feel that the season format is the problem BEFORE the preseason. Guys shouldn't be walking onto the field for their first preseason game 2 weeks after camp breaks. Extend the Training Camp period to July 15, and include a scrimmage. That's 3 - 4 weeks for guys to get into "football shape." Then put your starters out there for their longest field time in game 1. That way minor injuries have 4 weeks to recover... guys are getting field time to get into the swing, and that leave 3 weeks to evaluate, while still giving starters 3 preseason games on the field. I know this isnt going to be popular but i think a lot of the injuries we're seeing is from guys not being able to get back into game shape, and gettin thrown back into the mix 2 weeks after camp breaks.

I agree many injuries stem from lack of conditioning. Thank the players and league for that, in the name of players health of course. Injuries to Cousins and Cofield are just bad luck. With the players doing less then they ever have in camp, it seems that it adds to the number of pulls, strains, and injuries of that sort.

My comments were addressed to the poster before you :)

Never mind :)

yeah but if you eliminate 1 preseason game... that means 16 teams get 2 home preseason games while the other half only get 1....

It's difficult to go from 90 to 53 with only 2 or 3 games at "real" speed. While i'm cant stand this time of year where guys are at risk to get hurt, i can see the point... i wouldnt want my whole first team only getting a quarter together before they take the field when it matters.

Yeah, 3 wouldn't work; it would have to be 2 or 4. I think 2 is plenty, for the same reasons Al pointed out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.