• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Picking Grossman sends the right message

I disagree that Grossman lacks arm strength. He puts some terrific zip on the ball, and can fling it deep.

reasonable football folks can disagree! you're a savvy football guy. I don't see it that way and neither do some former NFL QBs. we'll see as the season unfolds.

Beck is the more mobile of the two. Hopefully, this line will allow Rex the time that a pocket passer needs. If not, we may see Beck sooner than later.

What's his range? How deep can he go and still be accurate? What's his longest pass in the last few games? Can Kyle effectively scheme around this limitation?

Perhaps this is part of what makes Rex compete so hard. He's got a bit of the "little man's syndrome". If he were taller, maybe he wouldn't have made it this far.

Has the frequency of such errors decreased under Kyle Shanahan's tutelage? How is this offense different from the Bears' offense in which he formerly played? Has he matured? Is the sample size of his play in this offense too small to determine whether or not turnovers are more or less likely to occur?

There's a lefty I know who plays basketball with me occasionally. He has very little experience playing and when he drives to the basket, he seems to be out of control. His shot, by all appearances, should never even glance off the rim. But, somehow, it seems to go through the hoop more often than not. I don't like watching him play, but two points is two points. ;)

nice responses! let's hope we get our two points from Rex!

reasonable football folks can disagree! you're a savvy football guy. I don't see it that way and neither do some former NFL QBs. we'll see as the season unfolds.

He's got the arm, over 25 yards he loses accuracy, but I have seen nothing that suggests Beck has anything more than Rex does. I don't see any upside.

Here's one of the places I really hope you're wrong. Everyone keeps clamoring for Beck to be the Cindarella story, but wouldn't it be great if Rex could be another Rich Gannon type? That's how I hope this is going. Rich Gannon was a Pro-Bowler at the ages of 34-37, an All-Pro for three of them.

I am not sure I see that for Rex. What I am hoping is that Rex has been able to mature over the years enough to overcome the amount of boneheaded plays. I know he won't ever over come them all, he is Rex Grossman after all, but if he could turn his 50/50 TD/INT ration to 75/25, he can be successful, if not pretty darn good.

All in all, I agree with burgold. While my initial reaction to the Shanahan hire was concern that a former SB winning coach would let his ego get in the way, and last year seemed to support that concern, what I am beginning to see is more calculation and tact. He appears to be on his way to turning things around. I think it is most evident when you see the players on the sideline, they seem happy. They do not look so unfocused and, for lack of a better term, miserable.

Here's one of the places I really hope you're wrong. Everyone keeps clamoring for Beck to be the Cindarella story, but wouldn't it be great if Rex could be another Rich Gannon type? That's how I hope this is going. Rich Gannon was a Pro-Bowler at the ages of 34-37, an All-Pro for three of them.

Or Brad Johnson is another example

I stopped getting irritated with Al this weekend over his anti-Grossman campaign when I realized it could only be driven by one thing. An insatiable urge to feel Grossman's lips upon his own.

He's sexy. Not even fansince can resist the hypnotic draw of Grossman.

And that just drives him crazy. Like democrats. :)

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

One thing puzzling me here is the impression I have had, (possibly inaccurate?), that Mike Shanahan was the main "I love this guy" force operating on Beck's behalf rather than Kyle.

As far as the how much Rex has/has not improved in terms of the effect of Kyle S.working with in his four-game stint last season his TD/INT ratio was 7TDs/4INTs per ESPN's NFL player stats so perhaps there is some hope there.

One thing I'll say about the media, and I don't think most get this until you've been in a situation where you know what's really going on, and you're able to read and hear what the media says about 'the facts' - in the absence of the facts, the media will just plain and simple make them up.

I'm not saying the Shanahan's haven't said glowing things about Beck. But they've said the same sorts of things about RG too. It's more than possible that writers and skins media hounds just read-in to those comments on a massive scale.

teddy bruschi called it right after game 4. he said "shanahan not even having rex play a game sends the message that his starting QB is not out there to get hurt"

That's not how I saw it. I saw it as compensation for the fact that Beck missed an entire game from injury, so he needed more playing time to equal Rex's preseason stats to get a better comparison to judge by.

One thing I'll say about the media, and I don't think most get this until you've been in a situation where you know what's really going on, and you're able to read and hear what the media says about 'the facts' - in the absence of the facts, the media will just plain and simple make them up.

I'm not saying the Shanahan's haven't said glowing things about Beck. But they've said the same sorts of things about RG too. It's more than possible that writers and skins media hounds just read-in to those comments on a massive scale.

spot on. I'll go one further. from my days in the military...in situations where I had personal knowledge.....it was my observation that the media will make stuff up EVEN WHEN IT HAS BEEN INFORMED ABOUT THE FACTS. Agenda often trumps reporting -> not only by what is reported but by what is not reported.

I stopped getting irritated with Al this weekend over his anti-Grossman campaign when I realized it could only be driven by one thing. An insatiable urge to feel Grossman's lips upon his own.

He's sexy. Not even fansince can resist the hypnotic draw of Grossman.

And that just drives him crazy. Like democrats. :)

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ha! too funny!

Butterball foreva!!!

spot on. I'll go one further. from my days in the military...in situations where I had personal knowledge.....it was my observation that the media will make stuff up EVEN WHEN IT HAS BEEN INFORMED ABOUT THE FACTS. Agenda often trumps reporting -> not only by what is reported but by what is not reported.

This doesn't belong in the sports section, but I'm sorry you met that ****ty brand of reporter. Those muck rakers suck.

This doesn't belong in the sports section, but I'm sorry you met that ****ty brand of reporter. Those muck rakers suck.

I didn't open the door.

But I'll forward your thought to the NYT, WPL, WP, Sports Reporters, Wilbon, etc.

but...no mas.

Grossman clearly outplayed Beck. He won the starting job in the two minute drive at the end of the second half against the Ravens. He was accurate as all hell and threw two touchdown passes that drive (one was just really well defended.). What impressed me the most was his ability to rebound after the offense bogged down on that drive near the Ravens' 20-yard line. The competition wasn't as close as some are suggesting.

While the Shanahans had (and still have) very positive things to say about Beck, the media's insistence that he was going to be the starter had more to do with the fact that they liked him because he provided great quotes and has potential to be an interesting storyline than with what actually took place on the football field.

Grossman clearly outplayed Beck. He won the starting job in the two minute drive at the end of the second half against the Ravens. He was accurate as all hell and threw two touchdown passes that drive (one was just really well defended.). What impressed me the most was his ability to rebound after the offense bogged down on that drive near the Ravens' 20-yard line. The competition wasn't as close as some are suggesting.

While the Shanahans had (and still have) very positive things to say about Beck, the media's insistence that he was going to be the starter had more to do with the fact that they liked him because he provided great quotes and has potential to be an interesting storyline than with what actually took place on the football field.

historical reconstructionism. Beck played even with Butterball through the tough games (i.e., the games against good teams and with a motivated offense) and was actually outperforming RG statistically. they were rated pretty much evenly going into that last preseason game. he blew it in game four. ergo Sexy Rex.

I don't know. Grossman played great against the steelers. The Steelers usually play hard during the preseason. Beck played great against Indi. Indi is historically a cakewalk during the preseason. Grossman played slightly better against the Ravens esp. in that two minute drive. Beck's best plays came in the third quarter after all the starters had been retired. Sadly, Beck didn't play well against the Bucs.

I had it as an even horserace until the Bucs with Grossman pulling way ahead at the end, but you certainly could make a case that Grossman was a bit better against harder competition (Mind you, you could also say that Grossman looked pretty bad against Indi's second stringers in the third quarter).

cmon now Burg....the Steelers game was the first of the preseason - after less than two weeks of practice. Tomlin came out after the game and stated there was no gameplan!!! it was a fun game to watch...but I'd be careful not to draw too many conclusions from that game!

cmon now Burg....the Steelers game was the first of the preseason - after less than two weeks of practice. Tomlin came out after the game and stated there was no gameplan!!! it was a fun game to watch...but I'd be careful not to draw too many conclusions from that game!

Yes, but because it was the first game against a team that had years in the same system and much success against a team that was quite raw and with a many players who'd never worked together... everything was aligned for the Redskins to be a mess.

Even if there was no gameplan, Grossman, the line, and the receivers won their one on ones. They beat the Steelers on talent. You don't think Shanny really gameplanned, do you?

The thing that told me most about how the Steelers' felt about that game was what they did the following week. They took out a lot of frustration against the Eagles. The 'skins outplayed and embarrassed them.

It might mean nothing, but to the Steelers it meant something and Grossman's play was a large part of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.