• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Pick your 2021 QB Poison!

Pick your 2021 QB poison...

• Total voters
I think given the sticker prices on the passers that are or may become available, the best course of action is to keep Heinicke, draft a quarterback at #19 or in Round 2 and then fill out the roster. I would release Alex Smith and use that cap savings to acquire an impact offensive player that can help out McLaurin in the passing game and in giving the quarterbacks more targets.

Cam Sims to me is a #3 or #4 receiver in the NFL given is '50/50' hands. He has size and good speed but he simply drops too many passes at this point to count on him as a frontliner.

Steven Sims had a dreadful 2020 season and if he is not making in impact on punt returns and on third down as the slot receiver we don't need him.

The reduction in the cap is going to provide Washington and other teams like Denver and NYJ a great opportunity to pick up quality veteran players from Dallas, Minnesota, Kansas City, Tampa, New Orleans and others that look like they are over the estimated cap figure of $180M by millions.

"called about" is very vague. It could literally be Rivera and the Martys calling it going like:

WFT : "So you're taking Fields no. 2 overall, what do you want for Darnold"
Jets: "He's still young and good so we need a first and then some"
WFT: ---Dial Tone---

As mentioned in another thread, the Jets were *initially* rumored to be asking for just a 2nd round pick for Darnold, then the rumor seemed to morph to a 2nd round pick and a late pick. I think Darnold could be an intriguing guy to consider. One of the biggest negatives attributed to Darnold on social media is that he's 'not accurate' and makes bad decisions with the ball. He has struggled with the Jets to complete 60%+ of his passes. I looked back at his USC career (in a nutshell, he completed 65% of his passes in his two years as starter, 7200+ passing yds, with 57 TDs and 22 INTs).

I'm here to provide context.

He plays for the Jets. You think Washington has been bad in recent years? Jets fans have been just about the only fans we have had bragging rights on and could talk smack to in recent years. They've been historically awful.

That doesn't make Darnold a franchise QB. But I wouldn't be so quick to write off his future. First of all, Darnold has a great attitude, especially considering what he's had to endure in his young NFL career. Most QBs would've already started spouting off, complaining behind the scenes, and deflecting blame. He's never done a bit of that. He's big, has plenty of arm, and he has decent to good accuracy especially in the short passing game. He's not a burner, but he does have good pocket awareness. He's almost an ideal West Coast offense QB from a skills perspective. He has had issues with ball security and INTs. I'm not discounting that, but I do believe that can improve with better coaching and a better team around him.

I'm not going to sit here and say he would be my number 1 target this offseason, but giving up a 2nd and some change for a guy with his potential - it's a no-brainer. Other than Taylor Heinicke's 5 quarters of stardom, his 'God-awful' career in a Jets uniform would still surpass anything a Washington QB has done since Cousins was under center. And that's the basement. His ceiling could be very solid in the right circumstances.

Reactions: Om
With the craziness set to start in less than a week - how things have changed since this thread was started.

• Stafford is traded to the Rams
  • Goff is traded to Detroit
  • Wentz to Indy
  • Dak signing big money
  • Alex is cut
Any new thoughts out there?

Updated our poll based on recent events.

What I think we have learned is teams like the Jets and Jaguars that have a LOT of change in the front office and coaching staffs are not yet finalized in their strategy in regards to how they want to handle the quarterback position.

If the Jets are going to draft a quarterback it only makes sense to trade Darnold, but they evidently aren't sold on making that pick.

If the Jaguars are going to take Trevor Lawrence it seems they might be able to get something in the trade market for Gardner Minshew, but again a new coach and head of the organization who is in his first stint in the NFL after years in college.

Again, what is going on with Mariota and the Raiders is simply confusing. He is going to cost significant money for the Raiders in 2021, money they don't have to pay a backup, and yet they don't seem able to make a reasonable deal to unload him.

The reality seems to be that everyone is waiting until the draft and these quarterbacks are likely to be in motion DURING the draft and immediately thereafter once teams actually make their moves at the top of the draft order and are looking to move on from players they currently have on the roster.

Among the better know quarterbacks, I am not of the belief that Russell Wilson is going anywhere. Aaron Rodgers is not going anywhere.

It's not surprising that Newton is going back to New England. Washington didn't sign him last year when he was as cheap as you can sign a veteran qb for and we passed. So, I didn't see a move to bring him here in 2021.

I do think that there is a better than 50/50 chance that Deshaun Watson is traded, largely because his issues with the team are not based on contract length or guaranteed money, etc. but on trust issues with the owner and front office.

With DeAndre Hopkins being traded for a bag of peanuts and JJ Watt apologizing to Watson for the team's wasting his prime seasons at the conclusion of the season and then departing himself, the Texans don't have a lot going for them right now. If Watson were to sit out the season it would be a disaster for the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.