• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFW:RG3 can rev up Redskins' running backs too

SNF

The Starter
Reaction score
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/07/20/rg3-can-rev-up-redskins-running-backs-too

RG3 can rev up Redskins' running backs too
By Eric Edholm

A former Broncos assistant who spent time on Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan’s staff in Denver (and who requested anonymity because his current team plays the Redskins this season) told PFW this week that Griffin and his unique set of skills will change the dynamic of the Redskins’ run game.

“I am still trying to figure out if the kid (Griffin) is a special quarterback, but you watch, they’ll bootleg and play action off that (outside) zone series and it will mess up some (defensive assignments),” the assistant said. “You have to respect the run, but you also have to honor (Griffin’s) athleticism.”

The stretch or zone running play is a Shanahan staple. He has made some not-so-special runners — before and after Terrell Davis — look very good with a system that involved agile, cut-blocking linemen; one-cut runners who hit the hole quickly; and athletic quarterbacks who were a threat outside the pocket, either scrambling or throwing downfield.

“They’ll move it very well, pull a guard or a center, make it look like a run,” the coach said. “This will be after they have run the stretch that way once or twice, (to) get the defense thinking a little. Then they’ll either have the high-low pass play off the bootleg, or they’ll run it naked."

Griffin comes to the pros with the reputation of being an excellent deep thrower, too, and if he can establish connections downfield, it will prevent safeties from edging up closer to the line of scrimmage.

“It will kill teams," the coach said. "Pretty soon you start thinking only about the quarterback; you tell your guys to stay home more, and that’s when the backs will dice you up.”

More at the link above...

Never thought about RG3 helping the running backs. I usually think the other way around. Can't wait to really see what Shannahan has up how sleeve. Should be exciting.

decision-making...that's what I'm waiting to see from RGIII. I know he has the skills - the difference at this level is how fast he recognizes and makes the right decision. that's why all his academic achievements and the way he achieved them (i.e., he picks things up quickly) matter.

decision-making...that's what I'm waiting to see from RGIII. I know he has the skills - the difference at this level is how fast he recognizes and makes the right decision. that's why all his academic achievements and the way he achieved them (i.e., he picks things up quickly) matter.

This made me want to pull up that impressive interview he had with Mariucci, where he picked up new plays in a snap, but I can't find it on youtube. Anyone got a link ?

Making the correct decision is also critical. RG3 made major strides in this area from his freshman year at Baylor. The NFL is definitely a different game and it will take some adjustment. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make some bone headed decisions his rookie year. Consistent improvement is what we need to see.

Making the correct decision is also critical. RG3 made major strides in this area from his freshman year at Baylor. The NFL is definitely a different game and it will take some adjustment. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make some bone headed decisions his rookie year. Consistent improvement is what we need to see.

Appreciate the insight. I'd add though that a lot of a rookie QB's success lies in the situations his coach puts him in. I have no doubt you're right - we'll see some mistakes. I think the Cam Newton phenomenon is an aberration, and that QBs struggling their first year out is much more to be expected.

One thing in Griffins favor... the Redskins are a much better team than the level of team usually grabbing a franchise QB. We spent a lot to move up and get Griffin because we had to. We weren't one of the NFL's worst teams last year. In fact, we were much better than our record reflected. Substitute a decent QB for the wildly erratic Beck/Grossman carousel and we'd have been close to a .500 team. Add Griffin and other additions and we could make some noise. The key is to resist the urge to put it all on Griffin's arm, and pound the football effectively so that teams aren't just worrying about RG3. We do that, he's going to have a memorable rookie year.

This is kind of a no brainer; any time you bring in a playmaker like Griff, he'll make everyone better.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I wish people would stop dumping on the backs. The Redskins have enough players in the backfield to be productive in this scheme IF the offensive line shows improvement and the play at quarterback improves so that it is truly a two dimensional attack.

The Redskins had 5 100 yard rushing performances last year from rookie backs operating behind a makeshift line with marginal passers.

Yeah - I think running back is a strength for us. It's par for the course though - anytime you lack that huge, big name back, even supposed experts aren't going to pay attention. Our backfield is the least of our worries.

The irony is that the league's top backs - Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Michael Turner, etc. - have never made it to the Super Bowl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.