• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Rex Grossman says Redskins will win the NFC East

BGO

Delusion seems to be the operative phenomenon in D.C. right now, what with coach Mike Shanahan staking his reputation on quarterbacks Rex Grossman and John Beck, and with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan claiming that he “stood on the table” to get the Texans to use the 10th overall pick on Beck in 2007. Grossman apparently…
b.gif

More...

The best thing Rex has going for his optimistic outlook is that PFT is laughing at him :) Even PFT gives the caveat that it's not beyond the realm of possibility. I like that Rex isn't writing off this season as we fans are, at least not publically.

I like the confidence and the fact that others are laughing at it, but he needs to shut that big trap and play the game. No need to give any bulletin board material to the opposition, even if it is something insignificant.

More nonsense. What is he supposed to say, that he expects the team to be crappy and finish last in the division? I think he'd get more flak for saying that, despite the fact that it would be more realistic.

He's supposed to expect to win, as that's what they try to do. It's self defeating to go in expecting to lose.

Much ado about nothing.

I'm not suggesting that he say the opposite! Sheeeeesh. Just stay quiet is all I'm asking.

Good grief.

I'm not suggesting that he say the opposite! Sheeeeesh. Just stay quiet is all I'm asking.

Good grief.

Well that would be an exciting interview:

Interviewer: "Rex, how do you think the Redskins will do this year?"

Rex: "..."

Interviewer: "Insightful, thanks."

;)

I like that Rex isn't writing off this season as we fans are, at least not publically.
Count me as one fan, who is NOT writing off this season.

And as China points out, WTF is he supposed to say?

I guess he could said,

"I promise you this. We'll do something."

I agree with most. Not only is that what Rex should say. It's what he should believe and fight to achieve even if it's really unlikely.

Some of you guys are funny. Pro athletes get asked stupid, leading questions by reporters every day. They have stock answers they learn to give...even Nuke Laloosh grasped that eventually. The one Rex chose was totally appropriate. You'd like your quarterback to be confident. At least I would.

As to it being "bulletin board" material ... only other fans' message boards. Not actual pro athletes from other teams. Eli Manning is not going to try extra hard against us on opening day because Rex Grossman chose Stock Answer 8.7 on August 9th. Just not going to happen.

Relax brothers. :)

Rex said this offense is better than his Superbowl offense in Chicago. That offense scored 27 points a game and was #2 in the league! I understand he can't say anything negative, but there's a way to be diplomatic about saying "we're improving."

Why be diplomatic? Make a little noise, if it takes this guy's form answer (I agree with Om) stuck on a bulletin board to motivate teams like Philly or Dallas or NY to get up to beat a team that should be lucky to win more than 5 or 6 their team's are doomed for post season failure. That's if they even get to the post season.

I think anyone with an ounce of gray matter playing these days sees it as the type of preseason confidence that virtually EVERY player feels before the preseason even starts. You hear this stuff at every camp every year. If an athlete was already defeated and sounding like it in August that'd be a hell of a lot more worrisome than a typically cocky skill player blowing a little hot air during Camp.

I think a lot of folks forget the career success Grossman has had, college success, and then taking his team to the Super Bowl with the help of a pretty damn good defense. Still having gone that far HAS to have given him some self confidence...I'd expect nothing less from him at this stage if he genuinely believs the team has improved that much. Dallas did virtually nothing to improve their squad and New york has some issues too. Philly could crash and burn hard if they have a key injury here or there and as Skins fans we all know about FA shopping sprees.

This ranks right up there with Namath promising SB III victory!

not.

What's ironic about Grossman's outburst is that it is likely that the quarterback position will be the one that holds this team back the most during the 2011 season.

You can make an argument the reconstituted line will be better, that the depth at WR is better and that the defense overall will be better.

We have better goal line (Hightower) and breakaway (Helu) ability at RB.

But we haven't improved one ounce at qb.

STFU & have another sandwich, Rex.
C'mon, DS. Really? The man is a Redskin. He's high on his team. His teammates seem to like him. I guarantee you THEY all feel they have a shot at the NFCE title. Pretty sure you wouldn't find even one guy in that locker room who batted a single eye at the cliche Rex pulled from the drawer in response to the question.

What's the problem here?

Rex is catching all this heat for talkin' a little smack?!?

C'mon, I'm with Om here-putting out a little verbal swag is what I want to hear from a QB-not an insipid "well, we might have a better season this year..we'll just have to wait and see."

I mean sure, everybody's got their questions and doubts about things but I'll be damned if I'll have anything to do with a team that acts like it's quit. I watched that in 2009 and I don't care to endure that again. Talk sh*t Skins all you want. It's called pumping yourself up. People perform better that way-you can psyche yourself into performing better and if hyperbole does it, I'm all for it.

I don't want any players on this team that aren't thinking Super Bowl.

That being said, I did release a hearty guffaw when I heard him say that. But I'm allowed that. I'm a fan. Everyone else can pound sand.

It was not an outburst. If you saw the interview, it was more like a passing comment. The media is over sensationalizing the story for headlines.

Honestly, if there is a player on our team that does not believe that we can win the NFC East, well, they need to find a new place to play!

What is amusing is Cris Carter getting all upset and downing Rex on ESPN.

Cris Carter is the most holier-than-thou former athlete I have seen in some time.

Here was a guy that at one point was booted off the Eagles because of a substance abuse problem and didn't get his career going until he was in his mid to late 20's, and yet he has absolutely no problem trashing other players he really doesn't even know.

Carter never played on a team that won a Super Bowl or even made a Super Bowl. The lasting impression from his career was the 0-41 loss to the Giants in the 2000 NFC Title Game where he and Moss with the rest of the Vikings left for the airport mid-way through the game.

Carter needed a whipping boy this week as guest host and he found one in Grossman.

Congratulations, Cris, I hope downing Rex made you feel better and get better ratings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.