• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Nick Foles on DeSean Jackson: It’s surprising, but it’s a business

BGO

Eagles quarterback Nick Foles didn’t expect to lose his No. 1 receiver, DeSean Jackson, and didn’t see it coming before the Eagles sent Jackson packing. “You know, it’s surprising,” Foles told CSNPhilly.com. “But at the same time, you learn that it’s a business. It’s a tough business, at times. We develop a lot of friendships…
b.gif

More...

You guys know I'm an old school disciplinarian type. That's why my initial reaction to the Redskins interest in Jackson was lukewarm at best. But the more I hear, the more it looks like the Eagles front office just did a total tar and feather job on this guy. I'm not saying he's Mother Theresa and Gandhi all wrapped up in one, but it does appear that the rumors about what a lockerroom cancer and bad teammate Jackson was were just pure fabrications to justify dumping his salary. Pretty despicable behavior on the part of the organization from my vantage point. And the most curious part of all of this is why you want to shed a player with the kind of talent and production Jackson has displayed. I almost have to come to the conclusion that there was some personal issue/animosity with Chip Kelly involved here. Because letting the guy go to a rival, at the peak of his career, at a reasonable price - it's really mind-boggling. Foles has every reason to 'tow the party line' here, or, at a minimum say nothing. And he makes supportive, praising comments. Hmmm?

This is one of the reasons why I have been a fence-straddler on the Jackson move. The suddenness of the appearance of the "controversy" as an explanation seemed to have a "fishy" quality to it. In most cases, in my observation, when something similar to what the Eagles' organization claimed has been going on, the sports media pundits and Twitter have been all over it spewing rumors and speculation from whomever they can find in the quest for sensationalism. It just didn't "feel" quite right.

There may indeed be something to the Eagles' story but given the points Boone made and the problems I just mentioned I had buying into it wholeheartedly didn't give me enough reason to have an immediate negative reaction to the move. Time will tell, of course, but right now I think it just might turn out noticeably in our favor.

You guys know I'm an old school disciplinarian type. That's why my initial reaction to the Redskins interest in Jackson was lukewarm at best. But the more I hear, the more it looks like the Eagles front office just did a total tar and feather job on this guy. I'm not saying he's Mother Theresa and Gandhi all wrapped up in one, but it does appear that the rumors about what a lockerroom cancer and bad teammate Jackson was were just pure fabrications to justify dumping his salary. Pretty despicable behavior on the part of the organization from my vantage point. And the most curious part of all of this is why you want to shed a player with the kind of talent and production Jackson has displayed. I almost have to come to the conclusion that there was some personal issue/animosity with Chip Kelly involved here. Because letting the guy go to a rival, at the peak of his career, at a reasonable price - it's really mind-boggling. Foles has every reason to 'tow the party line' here, or, at a minimum say nothing. And he makes supportive, praising comments. Hmmm?

Players have good reason not to make derogatory comments about ex-teammates: they might be teammates again in the future. However, that does not compel them to make positive ones either.
Like you said, he could have taken the path of a 'No Comment' or the like.

It's the Eagles...who historically send expensive players packing during their prime.

Who else, for example ?
certainly not players like McNabb, Dawkins, Westrbook, Asomugaha, Asante Samuel, Trotter, or Thrash.
I can't think of any examples. In fact, just the opposite seems to be true, historically - they hang on to talent as long as they can, and know just when that player's talent runs dry. Jackson seems to be the exception to their rule. Probably a reflection in the drastic way that Kelly runs things

Last edited:
Money.

It's the Eagles...who historically send expensive players packing during their prime.

Yeah... 'Skins NEVER do that.... dho'p! (Homer Simpson Facepalm)

As long as Jackson stays on the straight-and-narrow, it's very interesting what this reveals about Chip Kelly. Classic college coach mentality.

As long as Jackson stays on the straight-and-narrow, it's very interesting what this reveals about Chip Kelly. Classic college coach mentality.

Maybe Kelly thought that in the NFL, when you release a player, he's only suspended from the team, and can return to the same team, after missing his next 4 games :)

Chip Kelly - College Coarch

The "college coach" label isn't too far off. He is looking for Vets to tow the party line, so that the younguns step in. This is a hard thing to do in the pros. But Jimmy did it successfully w/ the Cowpatties. It can be done.

Luckily, we're the benefactors of this mindset. Let's make'em pay!

eh...it's the Iggles problem.

we have a top tier WR who stretches the field and will open the passing game for all the other folks.

The human beings on those Dallas teams (all the way from the owner down to the players) were extreme pieces of crap. The only one worth a damn as a human being was Aikman and I say that half-heartedly. They were insanely talented and that was how they won so much. Probably some of the most talented teams of all-time, especially on the O-Line (I won't give Emmitt Smith credit... great O-Line and he benefitted from Barry Sanders walking away from the game).

All JJ did was keep it under wraps. A monkey could have coached those team.

Just think... this guy's in the HoF next to Art Monk.

Nick

Larry Allen was an offensive line all by himself.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

If I hear one more person praise any member of any Dallas team, I will explode! You're Redskins' fans! Shut up!

:moon::adoration::abnormal::devilish::dog:

@#$%&$#@/! \ Dallas....on the other hand we all known for years that the bottom line is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$allways has been ..alwasys will be ..too simple... at the end of the day
..$ money is the root to all evil.....with Money comes power with power comes more money

@#$%&$#@/! \ Dallas....on the other hand we all known for years that the bottom line is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$allways has been ..alwasys will be ..too simple... at the end of the day
..$ money is the root to all evil.....with Money comes power with power comes more money

one day my typing is going to get better so maybe then everyone will know what I ams trying to say...or my point...MAYBE

I didn't praise anyone, exactly. I just was giving an example of a coach who instilled a college mindset on a pro team by getting rid of players who didn't cotton to the program.

And as much as I hated them as Cowpatties, I lurved them as mah 'Canes! And when did we start holding up Foobaw players as exemplary citizens?!? I mean, it's great if they are... but I'm not holding my breath.

one day my typing is going to get better so maybe then everyone will know what I ams trying to say...or my point...MAYBE

Dr Johnss advice: STOP listening to dallas & seattle fans; it drains you of precious brain cells which can lead to slurred speech and diminished typing skills...:secret:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.