• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Albert Haynesworth is "tired of this B.S."

he didn't win. not even close. one playoff victory since Elway retired in 1999. sorta the same stuff we throw at Romo and the Boys. you are..of course.....free to set your own standards in life.

mis-manged the roster. wasn't able to fix their d-line problems. GOT FIRED.

I guess there is just no pleasing some people.

As far as their "d-line problems," I don't follow. The defense in Denver was pretty consistent over Shanahan's tenure, as was the offense and running game. The problem he faced was he had to play the Colts, Steelers and Ravens.

That's a 9.44 wins per season average, made the playoffs almost half those years, got to the AFC championship once. Of course not winning those playoff games ultimately falls on coaching, although we also know luck and the opponent :))) has an impact as well. One could easily argue that that 9 year stretch shows consistency and solid coaching. It's also very misleading to look at a performance period without also looking at the rest of the division. That the Broncos fired Shanahan is shaky evidence he isn't a great coach. Sometimes relationships run their course and it's better for both parties to start fresh. I think we all have seen that. A parting of ways is not always indicative that one or the other is incompetent.

After being out of the NFL, Shanahan should be highly motivated to prove his coaching prowess again. We'll see over the next several years if your fairly harsh assessment of him is accurate or not.

That's a 9.44 wins per season average, made the playoffs almost half those years, got to the AFC championship once. Of course not winning those playoff games ultimately falls on coaching, although we also know luck and the opponent :))) has an impact as well. One could easily argue that that 9 year stretch shows consistency and solid coaching. It's also very misleading to look at a performance period without also looking at the rest of the division. That the Broncos fired Shanahan is shaky evidence he isn't a great coach. Sometimes relationships run their course and it's better for both parties to start fresh. I think we all have seen that. A parting of ways is not always indicative that one or the other is incompetent.

After being out of the NFL, Shanahan should be highly motivated to prove his coaching prowess again. We'll see over the next several years if your fairly harsh assessment of him is accurate or not.

Well said, Boone. Although I swear those wins added up to 90 yesterday at work.

While I will not subscribe to the entire point fansince62 is making, I do believe there is some merit. I was never a huge fan of Shanahan. When the rumors were swirling last year about his courtship with Danny Boy, I expressed my displeasure with this move. Having seen the lean years of the 60's, the good years of the 70's, the great years of the 80's-early 90's, and the leanest years of the past 2 decades, I am sure fs62 has seen much to give him some insight, but I think he is overlooking a couple of differences with Mike Shanahan, Head Coach of the Redskins.

There are two glaring differences in this team for Shanahan as opposed to the non-Elway Broncos, but first I am not sold on his idea that Shanahan is a "complete failure" without John Elway. He had flaws that Broncos fans have been exposing to us since he was hired, but he was not a failure out there. He competed in the AFC and their juggernaut teams of the 21st century. 4 AFC teams have won the majority of Super Bowls in the AFC during that time. I am not certain that if Denver had a small bit of luck like any of those teams that won the SB, Denver could have advanced to the SB and beaten most of the NFC opponents.

Anyway, here are the differences I see here that I didn't see in Denver without John Elway. When I was arguing my desire for coaches, I wanted Snyder to bring in some youth at the coaching level, someone hungry to win with a fresh approach provided there was experience and stability in the FO. Well, I think we have better than that. Shanahan has proven he demands respect or at the least control of the team, the key in my mind is his son.

After watching Kyle yesterday and seeing how he handled the Texans top ranked offense last year, I am convinced with a few more years of refining he will be a Head Coach in the NFL. He is fresh, mature and poised. It is this fresh young mind that will compliment the stern elder coach.

The other factor is Donovan McNabb. McNabb's travels thus far are online with Elway's before Shanahan came along. I wasn't sure I bought into this theory when it was mentioned before, maybe because I was remaining guarded as the off-season wore on. But if you look at their careers paths pre-Shanahan, they are parallel. So without Elway, Shanahan was a little more than mediocre (May I remind you that is way better than we have been over the past 19 years since winning our last SB and yes I would rather have the success the Cowpukes have had much more than where the Skins have been over the last 5 years!). McNabb has had a parallel career to Elway prior to Shanahan. So why can't Shanahan with a year off to contemplate be successful with McNabb?

Throughout this off-season, I have been guarded as I watched things unfold. I remain skeptical, but I see hope. I see a positive future. Am I as giddy as I was when Joe Gibbs came back. No way! I will not be "giddy' until I see an NFC Championship Game in our future. Do I see that this year, no. But with Donovan McNabb at the helm guided by a fresh young coach and the leadership of his father, this team will probably double their win total from the previous season, at least!

The whole "he never did anything without Elway" point is pretty hollow for me because the same can be said in the opposite direction and be just as correct. Elway was never able to win anything until Shanahan came along. Before the response comes "Yea but he played in 4 Bowls before that" I'd say Shanahan was involved with some pretty stellar achievement as well with San Fran and other teams. Ask Steve Young how he feels about Shanny.

I also think it's amazing how mediocre running backs one after another excelled in his system and had careers they'd never have had anywhere else (Olandis Gary, Bell, are you kidding me?). I was not much of a fan because I just didn't like Bowlen and I didn't like their franchise in general, but I think it's more than a little off to state that he was average at best.

Shanahan will have to win here too, to be considered successful. I for one, do not htink that means he has to post 10+ victories this year. Let's see the record after 5 seasons.

As for AH...he now knows he is not the boss. The rest of the team knows this too. If future FA avoid the team because of Shanahan's coaching style, then I'll be glad if they choose to go elsewhere.

I guess there is just no pleasing some people.

As far as their "d-line problems," I don't follow. The defense in Denver was pretty consistent over Shanahan's tenure, as was the offense and running game. The problem he faced was he had to play the Colts, Steelers and Ravens.

1) the whole objective is to reach & win the SB. everything else is meaningless.

2) they had repeated d-line problems.

3) your answer is that the opposition he had to play was better? why would that be?

Shanahan will have to win here too, to be considered successful. I for one, do not htink that means he has to post 10+ victories this year. Let's see the record after 5 seasons.

As for AH...he now knows he is not the boss. The rest of the team knows this too. If future FA avoid the team because of Shanahan's coaching style, then I'll be glad if they choose to go elsewhere.

look....unless something Earth shaking happens...AH is history next season. the Skins can't afford a recurring melodrama with this man-child.

everything going on right now is positioning for money.

Very nice post Elephant - 'Blog this Post'-worthy even :)

While I will not subscribe to the entire point fansince62 is making, I do believe there is some merit. I was never a huge fan of Shanahan. When the rumors were swirling last year about his courtship with Danny Boy, I expressed my displeasure with this move. Having seen the lean years of the 60's, the good years of the 70's, the great years of the 80's-early 90's, and the leanest years of the past 2 decades, I am sure fs62 has seen much to give him some insight, but I think he is overlooking a couple of differences with Mike Shanahan, Head Coach of the Redskins.

this is a nice post. the line I have been pushing has some intentional hyperbole. I'm happy Shanahan is here and hope for the best - if for no other reason than because an inspiring Skins' season will distract from the daily comedy routine that is this country's political environment. he's already professionalized the Skins culture and moved the ball forward.

some background:

1) he's not perfect......there were problems in Denver

2) I really like this coaching staff.....yet.....I can only express this by example: when Gibbs came back it felt like the Skins were resurrecting; with Shanahan coming back it feels more like Shanahan and his coaching friends being resurrected. they're here on loan to refurbish their reputations, strike a quick hit and then move on. probably unfair....but there's just no sense of history...no real Skins bond for these cats. I secretly believe that is one (but not only) reason Allen has very cleverly made some of the moves he has made. when Shanny goes into the HOF...he'll be wearing blue & orange.

3) the reality is that we have sat through of 18 seasons of "he's great...this guy is the best xxx in the league....we match up well against all the other teams..i'm zorny for.. " hype, silliness and oversell. it just jaundices you. I'm in a holding pattern for at least two seasons. no more of this modern NFL BS - with a special Redskin twist - of marketing trumping excellence.

so..yea.....10 wins would be nice. PO wins would be better. A SB win is all that really matters - precisely because of this team's past. but that's all a pipe dream 'til the basics get squared away and sustained excellence is the norm. make it happen Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still very concerned with the 3-4, simply because we really don't have the personnel for it. Players who've been out for a year due to injury don't inspire me.

The only weakness I see is Fletcher as ILB in the 3-4. Where else do we not have the personnel? Assuming of course Kemo is healthy and plays this season.

2) I really like this coaching staff.....yet.....I can only express this by example: when Gibbs came back it felt like the Skins were resurrecting; with Shanahan coming back it feels more like Shanahan and his coaching friends being resurrected. they're here on loan to refurbish their reputations, strike a quick hit and then move on. probably unfair....but there's just no sense of history...no real Skins bond for these cats. I secretly believe that is one (but not only) reason Allen has very cleverly made some of the moves he has made. when Shanny goes into the HOF...he'll be wearing blue & orange.

Honestly.......do we really care that much about "sense of history" anymore? The memories are great, but this organization is wise to stop looking so much at the past and move on. It has been refreshing at the pressers in the offseason to have those Lombardis locked away and not on display.

Otherwise, fs62, agree with the rest of your post.

Honestly.......do we really care that much about "sense of history" anymore? The memories are great, but this organization is wise to stop looking so much at the past and move on. It has been refreshing at the pressers in the offseason to have those Lombardis locked away and not on display.

Otherwise, fs62, agree with the rest of your post.

I hear ya...it's just wierd seeing MS on the tube. He's my coach and yet he isn't. Maybe it's his personality - you don't hear a lot of Skins stuff from him like you do from Allen.

I'm still a bit wary of the guy, but I've seen some stuff that I like. His handling of big Al has been just a pleasure. He embarrassed the guy for everyone to see...I'm sure it was especially good fun for the teammates.

I doubt AH will be around for much longer.

As for his loyalty to the Skins, I'd predict that success could entrench him here for another 5 years...and an 8-8 season this year and a ten win season next year would be success, regardless of missing the playoffs.

I'm still very concerned with the 3-4, simply because we really don't have the personnel for it. Players who've been out for a year due to injury don't inspire me.

Perhaps we'll adopt an 'all-in' approach like the pukes or the old Buddy Ryan Eagles, where it's a very pressure defense subject to big plays...something that causes a lot of heart attacks during the year...

I'm thinking we'll be easy to run against, and give up some big pass plays on a regular basis...which should make for a long year.

At least MS has warned us that this rebuilding will take time...and the offense should be fun to watch.

agree in large part about the D. The line just seems to be a big? I have exactly the same thoughts abt a cat coming off an achilles injury. it'll be an interesting Summer!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.