• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Pearl Harbor and the Redskins

Docsandy

The Starter
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Okay... some of you know that I met my husband because of a minor dispute over the Redskins (specifically Darrell Green). Mind you he was and I am (in case you haven't figured it out) an avid Redskins fan. We were in a Redskins chat room discussing Darrell's run-down of Tony Dorsett. We were both at the game (this was long before we met). He insisted that Darrell was running from left to right, I said NO.. it was right to left. Bottom line.. we were both right, we were on opposite sides of the field.

Anyway... we eventually met, got married and in the few short years I had him in my life before life took a mean turn and took him from me (I came home to find him having died after attending a private memorial service for an actor/friend at Paramount Studios)... he got me hooked on the history channel (among other things).

So here I am watching the history channel and they have a program on Pearl Harbor. My immediate thought is of stories my dad told about being at that game at Griffith Stadium when Pearl Harbor was bombed, and hearing all the "important people" being paged over the PA system to return to offices, etc. Because of rules, they could not announce at the game what was happening but everyone knew SOMETHING was up.

So I'm watching this show... and they are talking about Pearl Harbor and what do I see but Griffith Stadium. They did about a 5-6 minute segment on the game going on at Griffith Stadium and told it just like I remember my dad telling it so many times. Of course I scanned the fans for my dad, but they mostly showed the game itself... but it was interesting/neat seeing something and hearing it almost identically as my dad had told the story.

Anyway.. I just wanted to share that.. no clue why.. been feeling a little reminiscent lately over things (it's no special anniversary or anything)... my dad never saw us go to the Superbowl (though he was around for the championships before the "Super Bowl).. he died the summer before the infamous 26-3 New Year's Eve game against Dallas that put us in Super Bowl VII... but the Redskins was his life during football season. And his love for them and the game is what instilled that same love for the game and loyalty towards the Redskins.

Anyway.. we have a new era starting now. It was only one game, but all of a sudden the "experts" are piling on the praise on RGIII instead of talking about how he cannot handle the opposing team. Interesting. Hopefully it will be the beginning of an era that resembles what I remember in the 1980s and 1990s and for those not old enough to remember that.. I hope it is one that you can enjoy now as much as I did then (and wouldn't mind enjoying again).

Thanks for sharing, Sandy. My Dad was also in attendance at Griffith Stadium that day and I remember him telling me the same story. It was one of the first Redskins games he had ever attended and wouldn't see another one until after WWII. He was drafted in 1942 and wouldn't make it back to the DC area until the late 40's.

Thanks for sharing that story and sorry for your losses.

For me, the Redskins memory etched into my mind is the yellow seat cushion game at RFK in the playoffs. I was in the upper deck, soaked, cold and just LOVING LIFE!

Deion had been hyped for that game, and we beat him and the Falcons in decisive fashion.

I remember Deion so well that game.. my seats are behind the visitors bench and he was totally hyped. Rain. Etc. When the seat cushions starting coming down it was wonderful.

I think that seat cushion game is in the collection Sandy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_bzRJVpinY[/media]

to have actually been at the seat cushion game would have been right there with being at canton for art and DG's induction.

thank you for sharing, Doc. that was really cool.

You're welcome.. just some of my ramblings :) I was at all of the above.. the weekend in Canton with Art and DG's was a weekend I will NEVER forget :)

to have actually been at the seat cushion game would have been right there with being at canton for art and DG's induction.

thank you for sharing, Doc. that was really cool.

Great memories!

I sold that game.

That was the only way the girl who sold us the tickets would guarantee that we would get the tix for the NFC Championship game.

I remember watching that game and being a little bummed that we weren't there, but real happy that we won.

It worked out pretty good in the end!

Whenever I talk to relatives about Dec. 7, the conversation drifts to when my family had to quickly move to Louisiana within a few months. My grandfather went to an Army training depot in Alexandria, LA and the family remained there for two years while he was deployed.

They were able to find a local radio station that broadcast NFL games - especially the Redskins. For most of the South, the Redskins were their team ("for old Dixie" instead of today's "for old DC" was in the song) and getting the game each week was like getting a feed on the internet today - they were thankful for it. There are too many memories to share here, but that is one of the things that helped them to pass the time in a new place.

The cushion game - what a great memory. Just hoping that FedEx can see some similar scenes sometime soon.

Thanks for sharing Sandy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.