• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Patrick Mahomes

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Putting this here to track in real time a career that may well end up in the GOAT conversation.

Look at the faces ...

Feel free to comment, debate, etc. And please ad vids you think worthy. I will be.

Edit: I should have posted this in the OP ... just took me a while to track it down. This is a piece I read written by a lifelong Chiefs fan back in 2018. I was on board the Mahomes train by then, but finding this piece locked it in for me. I'm pretty sure it's the piece I would have written, had it happened here. It's long, but there's not a Washington fan here who won't understand what the man was feeling.

Last edited:
I’m waiting for the 30 for 30 on how they ‘treated’ his ankle.

And on Valentines Day… so sweet ❤️

He’s the most talented player in the NFL right now - but GOAT candidate? So many things would have to occur for that to even be a possibility for me.

He’d have to win a lot more Super Bowls. That’s possible, but that requires a lot more than a great QB as we have seen throughout the league’s history. With Reid an older coach not sure that’s realistic. Is it possible KC could win another 4 or 5? Yes. But that is a hell of a mountain to climb for any team, even with a Mahomes under center.

And the other thing, that allowed Brady to rack up the kind of numbers he has - longevity - whether Mahomes can keep his play at this level for a decade or more, that’s another big factor. With his style of play we are already seeing injuries become an issue. It will be tough for any QB to approach Brady’s success and numbers - ever - without an incredible career of sustained health and HOF level play.

Mahomes deserves all the praise and attention he gets. But GOAT isn’t close to being a thing for me.

Of course there will always be those who will argue ‘in his prime …’ but for me that’s not the standard unless the achievements are similar between players. Just my opinion.

Btw… I feel baited :). So giving you what you wanted, because you know, it’s Valentines Day ❤️

I was very careful how I worded it ... "track in real time a career that may well end up in the GOAT conversation." :)

Wasn't baiting, at least not intentionally. I clicked on that video by chance this morning, and after watching the faces of his teammates as they reacted to him I was moved to post. Where it all goes it is impossible to say, absolutely, but right here, right now, the man is special.

I’m waiting for the 30 for 30 on how they ‘treated’ his ankle.

I wondered during his scamper late if maybe Mahomes rope-a-doped the whole world and perhaps his injury was nowhere near as limiting or severe as we believed. He didn’t look very limited to me :)

Umm, a wee bit early for that kinda talk but it's now the off season so it's filler and fodder time in the sports media cycle. The sheer longevity one needs to reach some of Brady's numbers is what's daunting, like chasing Ripken's consecutive games streak, I just don't see that happening. Brady minus one season stayed healthy for 20 years, it's almost unheard of especially in a game with so much physical interaction. I still view Joe as the GOAT, in fact I'd argue if he wasn't hurt and even after so had played on those 9'ers teams they'd have won more than 1 superbowl like they did with Young. All conjecture on that but dammit I like my conjecture.

Yeah, my bad for focusing on the GOAT reference as I don’t want to detract from the thread topic.

I should have known not to put the GOAT reference there ... it's too hot-button not to draw attention. All good though.

Updated the OP with a fan article I read back in 2018 that has kind of stuck with me. You'll understand why if you read it ...

I saw the same article right after the superbowl, thought the same thing I posted, it's early, how many players had promising careers that went off the rails due to injury, it happens. The question isn't whether can he be the GOAT, it's can he stay healthy enough and can the team keep building around him. Don't see many players taking discounts anymore these days like we did when TB was in NE and players were chasing championships on the cheap.

Honestly, I'm okay with the GOAT talk. Sure, it's premature, but he's had a hell of an impressive first five years in the league. Maybe injuries take him down, but he's something very special. He's done it long enough that you can have the Kobe vs. Michael debates. Sure, Michael wins because of the number of titles, but it's not an embarrassing question to wonder if Maholmes is already up there with the very best. After all, he's done it now with different receivers, different running backs, and got the same results.

Is he the best? Not yet. Could he be the best when the dust settles. Yep. I'd certainly put him ahead of Marino and Elway at this point. I think he's beyond Steve Young and Montana, too.

I'm careful with the GOAT term because it is so hard to compare eras.

Example 1 - Sammy Baugh. The man played every play of every game he was in that didn't involve a kick-off or FG attempt. He was the first-string QB, CB, and P. And he was still the single best QB of his generation. How is a modern QB supposed to compete with that?

Example 2 - Terry Bradshaw. The man won 4 Super Bowls in 6 years, going back-to-back twice and he did it calling his own plays. On game day, he was effectively a QB and OC rolled into one. Again, no modern QB is asked to do that in any way, shape, or form.

So with that as a backdrop, I think it is fair to put Mahomes in the GOAT conversation. He is, right now, playing as far above his contemporaries as Brady ever did. He has 2 Super Bowl victories from 3 appearances in 5 seasons as a starter. And he has done it playing in arguably the best division in the NFL over much of that time. Brady never did that as the jAFC East was middle of the road, at best, most of the years that Tom Terrific was with the Patriots.

By the time Mahomes hangs up his cleats, this game will look completely different than it did in Brady's heyday. Already the pocket-passer, like Brady, is becoming an endangered species.

So bring on the GOAT talk - I think we will end up having a lot more than one.

Last edited:
Mahomes has "it". He sees the game, it's never too big of a moment, and players rally around him. He does things you don't want players doing but know he is ok because he is who he is.

All of my hate for him comes from his wife and brother. He seems like a really good guy who just wants to win and does it. I'd have him on my team any day of the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.