• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

OT SELVISH CAPERS

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Capers121709.jpg

OT SELVISH CAPERS

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 308 lbs.
Arm Length: 34 in.
Hand Size: 10 in.
College: West Virginia
Conference: Big East

496996.jpg

NFL COMBINE ANALYSIS

Capers is a converted tight end that made the move prior to his sophomore year and has shown steady improvement each year. While he has the speed and initial quickness to play on the left side, he is probably best suited to play right tackle. He is an adequate knee bender in pass protection and will let his pad level get a bit high but does play with a good base and often manages to recover in time to ride opponents by the pocket when pass blocking. Would like to see him finish blocks off more consistently but at least he doesn’t back down from a challenge. Still needs some work on his blocking angles as well as how quickly he picks up blocks on his own but when he knows what he needs to do he can look decisive.

STRENGTHS

Good height and bulk. Flashes above-average speed and athletic ability. Quick first step allows him to get to defenders in the open field. Uses long arms in pass protection to move rushers past the pocket. Maintains body control and balance with a wide base.

WEAKNESSES

Does not have the strength to consistently drive defenders off the ball. Fails to attack with a punch and lets defenders engage him. Plays high and struggles to finish blocks. Needs to improve his awareness for blocking angles and assignments.

goldblue15041809.jpg

The real question has to be, is he better than Heyer?

The real question has to be, is he better than Heyer?

THAT'S the $64 Question. I certainly think he's capable of pushing Heyer on the right side of the line and is probably, at worst, a guy who will stick around on the Practice Squad.

I don't think he's allergic to Shelvish-it's capers. :D
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Capers has all the tools in the world to blow right past Heyer, and even challenge for a starting spot. But if he can't get past his laziness and lack of motivation then he won't do jack for us or anyone else.

The Heyer comparison is where I start on this guy ... the one thing about Stephon I noticed from day one and he's never really improved on is how "high" he plays. The whole "natural knee bender" thing.

Bugel talked about how Heyer needed to work on that and that he had made progress, but I've never really seen it on the field. Particularly once games get going and he gets a little tired ... he defaults to that upright, kinda stiff stance with poor leverage and limited lateral movement. It's why I don't think Heyer will ever get much better than he is today---he'll improve on recogniting/anticipation and that will help, but physically I think what you see it was we're going to get.

Haven't seen Capers play, but what jumps out a me from the "NFL Analysis" are the comments about playing high and bending knees. It does contradict itself a bit in the two bolded parts below, but still causes me the same initial concerns I have over Heyer. You can't play "high" and protect the passer. Stronger DE's will leverage you and push you back into the passer or throw you aside. Quicker ones will simply blow around or spin off you once they get you moving/leaning in a direction.

Won't take long come camp to see if/how Capers bends his knees ... if he's just another physically imposing but "stiff" RT like Heyer, or an athlete who can get his butt down, plus has some spring in his legs to leverage and slide fliudly when he's tired and all the coaching tips from the week are forgotten in the heat of battle.

Capers is a converted tight end that made the move prior to his sophomore year and has shown steady improvement each year. While he has the speed and initial quickness to play on the left side, he is probably best suited to play right tackle. He is an adequate knee bender in pass protection and will let his pad level get a bit high but does play with a good base and often manages to recover in time to ride opponents by the pocket when pass blocking. Would like to see him finish blocks off more consistently but at least he doesn’t back down from a challenge. Still needs some work on his blocking angles as well as how quickly he picks up blocks on his own but when he knows what he needs to do he can look decisive.

STRENGTHS

Good height and bulk. Flashes above-average speed and athletic ability. Quick first step allows him to get to defenders in the open field. Uses long arms in pass protection to move rushers past the pocket. Maintains body control and balance with a wide base.

WEAKNESSES

Does not have the strength to consistently drive defenders off the ball. Fails to attack with a punch and lets defenders engage him. Plays high and struggles to finish blocks. Needs to improve his awareness for blocking angles and assignments.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAo3MsI2AMw[/media]

Found this on another site. In a controled environment looks good. Maybe there is hope for this kid.

Capers will make the final roster IMO.

Heyer is a project from the previous administration and has not turned the corner despite being in NFL camp for 3 plus seasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.