• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

OLine Playing Better?

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Is it just me or is the OLine playing a lot better the last couple of weeks? The running game is certainly looking good, though a lot of that can be attributed to Griff. But even in pass protection, we seem to be holding our own. Nice to see that, particularly against Jared Allen last week and The Giants this week.

I'm not saying there is no need for improvements in the off season, merely that they seem to be playing better than they were early in the season.

Agreed.

It seems our preseason concerns for the oline, and our confidence in our overall defense, is currently happening bass ackwards.

nope, the problem with the oline isnt that they screw up, its that they are physically overmatched. at the begining of the year they were making mental mistakes and getting beaten physically, , now its mostly just getting beaten physically.

they will at times look almost decent, this scheme after all depends on Dlinemen to overpursue and open lanes themselves, but the problem is that this Line simply cant man up and get it done consistently.

my biggest concern is that they do just good enough to get us beat, because frankly they arent going to be a unit that wins games for us.

nope, the problem with the oline isnt that they screw up, its that they are physically overmatched. at the begining of the year they were making mental mistakes and getting beaten physically, , now its mostly just getting beaten physically.

they will at times look almost decent, this scheme after all depends on Dlinemen to overpursue and open lanes themselves, but the problem is that this Line simply cant man up and get it done consistently.

my biggest concern is that they do just good enough to get us beat, because frankly they arent going to be a unit that wins games for us.

Color me confused. Your argument is that the scheme calls for the DLine to overpursue and get out of position, yet you want an OLine to man up and get it done? Given the success Morris is having, I would say the scheme is working well, no?

Not sure if the line is playing better, which wouldn't be a surprise as the O line always seems to take more time to come together, or a result of the system we've run. We're causing enough doubt in defenses that they can't tee off as often a they might normally. It's making the lines job a lot easier. Robert is making everybody's job easier on the offense.

Trent W. has been everywhere from holding his own to being stellar, Polumbus is a disaster.

The ZBS, can serve as a means of compensation through maneuverability and the application of leverage and speed, for lack of outright bulk. With the unique talents and skills of our new QB plus clever and innovative scheming we are confusing defenses to the tune of nearly 30 points per game and running over run defenses, all of which act together to act together to effectively mask size and strength deficiencies on the OLine. Thus the OLine is looking better than an "on paper" assessment.

We need an upgrade at RT, RG and Center but we're frankly doing more and better with what we have than I thought possible-that's what I'm seeing, not necessarily just over-achieving but a scheme-plus-QB that produces results better than a size/strength comparison would indicate would indicate could be done.

This is an area where Shanahan's approach has produced benefits that overcome liabilities.

Not sure if the line is playing better, which wouldn't be a surprise as the O line always seems to take more time to come together, or a result of the system we've run. We're causing enough doubt in defenses that they can't tee off as often a they might normally. It's making the lines job a lot easier. Robert is making everybody's job easier on the offense.

Bingo. Respect for the arm = Room for the run. Still when we telegraph what we're gonna do, they tend to stop it. The scheme is protecting some of the deficiencies up front. That said, I think they're almost doing the best that they're capable of.

I counted at least twice that JPP came free. That's just not going to do it, that man should never be left to rush free....never. Thats the O-line not doing its job communication wise and I'm sure you could comb through the tape and find several more instances. Stupid mistakes for a unit that has been playing together for a while now.

The lack of multiple boneheaded o-line penalties yesterday was a plus though.

I reiterate my comment during camp. The Redskins have ONE offensive lineman, Trent Williams, that another team would be willing to trade for.

The rest of these guys are waiver wire pickups, guys that were out of the league, or former practice squaders that were cut elsewhere.

There are no gems here.

We need better talent.

Griffin and Morris make these guys look better than they are.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Polumbus is a disaster.

That brings me to the question, if Brown is able to go after the bye, will he'll be an asset ? Not much of the season left at that point. The one thing we've developed is some cohesion on the line. Polumbus and Chester have been next to each other since training camp. Even though Brown is viewed on paper as the superior RT, would his lack of playing time cause more harm then good ? He hasn't played in, what seems like forever.

Keim said a couple of weeks ago that Brown at 75 percent is an upgrade on Polumbus at RT. I am assuming someone at the Park contributed such an opinion annonymously for him to write that in the way he did.

Looking at his level of play prior to his original injury, subsequent release and signing buy the Skins, it's easy to make that statement without anybody from the team saying anything. The Skins have never actually had him healthy, so for me, there's a lot of assumption going on weather Keim did in fact get that from somebody on the team, or is just speculating.

We've seen Brown at less then 100%, he was barely adequate, and we were getting killed no less with Brown then we are with Polumbus now.

I guess all we can do is wait, and hope he's 100%. 100% in that he's playing at a pre-injury level, not just 100% pain free.

Last edited:
I think the O-line has done a good job with their run blocking, but a poor job overall with their pass blocking. Trent is definately a keeper, and Polumbus should be replaced as soon as possible. I think that ultimately Monty and Light would be better as backups, and Chester has a few more years left of effective play.

Hopefully Gettis, LeRibeus, or Compton will provide a long term solution somewhere on the line.

Well, it would be nice if LeRibeus was closer as a high pick to contributing. Being inactive each week brings up memories of Chad Rinehart, another #3 Vinny was high on who was released the next year.

With the limited number of picks due to the big trade we really need our #2 and #3 picks to come through for us.

Jenkins so far looks average as a replacement for Carriker, who was the strongest player on the team and posted 5.5 sacks in the 3-4.

LeRibeus was a pick that was questioned at the time of the draft by NFL commentators who thought he was a guy who graded out to be a #5 or even #6 player.

And I think that is what we are seeing - rather than being close to cracking the lineup on a weak OL he is more of a project player.

Third rounders are supposed to be better bets than that.

BT, word was that KC would have taken LeRiebus a slot or 2 behind us.

And we have seen what Pioli has done in KC. He has ended up with Cassel and Quinn as his quarterbacks.

Coin toss if that is the worst qb situation in the league.

Besides, is LeRibeus projected as a center only or as a center/guard?

From preseason it appears Hurt and Gettis were getting the work at OG behind the starters.

If Josh is a center and he is that far behind Monty (there was no competition there), I think we are in trouble.

Round 3 is high to take a project guy that is inactive for the season, but especially for the center position.

I remember Shanny stating that he thinks most Olinemen need a year riding the pine, learning the system. Of course, their are exceptions to the rule, but he seemed certain that most needed that first year of classroom work, first.

And we have seen what Pioli has done in KC. He has ended up with Cassel and Quinn as his quarterbacks.

Coin toss if that is the worst qb situation in the league.

Besides, is LeRibeus projected as a center only or as a center/guard?

From preseason it appears Hurt and Gettis were getting the work at OG behind the starters.

If Josh is a center and he is that far behind Monty (there was no competition there), I think we are in trouble.

Round 3 is high to take a project guy that is inactive for the season, but especially for the center position.

I agree with your assertion about the productivity of a 3rd rounder...at least we should see potential. But you said he was projected in the 5th or 6th round and reports I saw said KC was very interested in him after us in the 3rd.

Trent W. has been everywhere from holding his own to being stellar, Polumbus is a disaster.

The ZBS, can serve as a means of compensation through maneuverability and the application of leverage and speed, for lack of outright bulk. With the unique talents and skills of our new QB plus clever and innovative scheming we are confusing defenses to the tune of nearly 30 points per game and running over run defenses, all of which act together to act together to effectively mask size and strength deficiencies on the OLine. Thus the OLine is looking better than an "on paper" assessment.

We need an upgrade at RT, RG and Center but we're frankly doing more and better with what we have than I thought possible-that's what I'm seeing, not necessarily just over-achieving but a scheme-plus-QB that produces results better than a size/strength comparison would indicate would indicate could be done.

This is an area where Shanahan's approach has produced benefits that overcome liabilities.

THIS, this is pretty much the best assessment of the Oline that I havent written lol.

the whole point of shannys scheme on offence is that it relies on misdirection and overpursuit, to open seams, but sometimes you have to just make the hole and other times you still have to at least block someone for a second or two, what annoys the hell out of me is when our backs are getting touched before they make the LOS and then still somehow making yards, because then people say " its not the offence that is the problem" no this season we are moving the ball well in spurts, and scoring, that doesnt mean that we dont have things we need to improve to become a superbowl calibre team.

and dont even get me started on the defence, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.