• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Official Game Day Thread: Redskins At Denver

What? You're taking away almost half the plays in the quarter... That's 3 out of 5 plays being runs after you take away those 3. You're being ridiculous. You now have to pull away almost half of the plays to try to make your point? We ran the ball 6 of 8 plays that quarter. That's 75% of the plays being runs. What do you want, 100%? That's absurd.

Kyle called 7 runs out of 12 plays to start the second half. After which we were down 31-21. You're right... we clearly should have run the ball more... it worked so well...

Saying the problem was getting away from the run is just shallow analysis...

I don't understand how you can completely dismiss what we are saying. That three and out where Kyle tried to throw three straight bombs killed any momentum we might have had, and gave the ball back to Denver with ALL of it. THAT is what I'm talking about. The game was tied, we needed a long, sustained drive to grind out the clock and get our mojo back, and Kyle calls three straight deep passes, Rocca shanks the punt, and bam the Broncos are up a score in one play. That was the game right there. Kyle abandoned the run at arguably the most important time.

Shallow analysis? Come on. Just because you don't grasp a concept doesn't mean its wrong. Its my opinion (and one that is shared by a VAST majority of Redskins fans). Kyle abandoned the run.

I think Griffin did a great job last year going through route progressions. Not sure why its not happening as much this year.

I don't understand how you can completely dismiss what we are saying. That three and out where Kyle tried to throw three straight bombs killed any momentum we might have had, and gave the ball back to Denver with ALL of it. THAT is what I'm talking about. The game was tied, we needed a long, sustained drive to grind out the clock and get our mojo back, and Kyle calls three straight deep passes, Rocca shanks the punt, and bam the Broncos are up a score in one play. That was the game right there. Kyle abandoned the run at arguably the most important time.

Shallow analysis? Come on. Just because you don't grasp a concept doesn't mean its wrong. Its my opinion (and one that is shared by a VAST majority of Redskins fans). Kyle abandoned the run.

It's shallow analysis because it doesn't take anything into account other than number of plays run. 7 of the first 12 plays in the second half were runs. After which we were losing 31-21. Saying we should have run more is absolutely ridiculous. Blaming play calling when you look at wide open wr's dropping balls and the QB throwing terribly is ridiculous.

That 3 and out on 3 passess....
Here's the first down play. A play action fake. Morgan is WIDE ****ING OPEN and he drops the ball.
29ditsz.jpg

That's likely a 25 yard play. Plays like that pull people out of the box and actually allow you to run the ball more.

Play 2 Reed is wide open running a post and Griffin bombs it to Garcon and way overthrows it. I'd post a pic of the coaches film but it's not available yet.

Play 3 Robinson drops a catch you just can't have dropped. For a 20 yard gain. The ball was thrown exactly where it needed to be, and he dropped it.
16bk6qs.jpg

Yes, simply blaming play calling is shallow. Kyle put people in position to make plays. They didn't make plays. That's a problem with execution.

edit; I don't want it to sound like I think Kyle is blameless. He's the offensive coordinator, he shares in the blame. I just don't know what people expect him to do when players don't execute. He's not the one on the field throwing errant passes, dropping balls, not getting separation on his man, not blocking, not finding the hole, not breaking tackles...

Last edited by a moderator:
you ever see Waterboy?

Remember when the bad coach stole Fonzie's playbook so he was jut calling random plays from the book "How to coach for dummies"?

That is how I feel it is most of the time. "Hmm...we just ran for 8 yards on 1st, lets throw a WR screen!" "That didn't work? **** it, go deep!"

no consistent game plan, not trying to establish anything. Just random ass calls made on the fly. Whoever it is needs to be stopped.

Perfect comparison. Kyle needs to work on visualizing our opponents as puppies, lol.

It's shallow analysis because it doesn't take anything into account other than number of plays run. 7 of the first 12 plays in the second half were runs. After which we were losing 31-21. Saying we should have run more is absolutely ridiculous. Blaming play calling when you look at wide open wr's dropping balls and the QB throwing terribly is ridiculous.

edit; I don't want it to sound like I think Kyle is blameless. He's the offensive coordinator, he shares in the blame. I just don't know what people expect him to do when players don't execute. He's not the one on the field throwing errant passes, dropping balls, not getting separation on his man, not blocking, not finding the hole, not breaking tackles...

I think when you have a QB who's struggling with accuracy, you don't call three passes in a row in a tie ball game, especially when your RB is running free. 17 carries! He should have gotten twice that number of carries.

7/12 of the first plays to start the second half were runs. it doesn't really get anymore balanced than that.

you cannot run the ball every down and expect to win.

if this season winds up being a wash, i hope one of the last few games kyle goes out and just runs it. every play. so we can all see what 80%+ run play team would look like.

i have a feeling the defense will just stack the box and we'll be going 3 and out.

I know kyle isn't perfect, but every time we lose there's this entourage of fans that come out screaming 'we didn't run enough!' and it's become so boring to me. there's a whole lot more going on in the game than how many times we run the ball.

maybe i'm just missing something though :\

7/12 of the first plays to start the second half were runs. it doesn't really get anymore balanced than that.

you cannot run the ball every down and expect to win.

if this season winds up being a wash, i hope one of the last few games kyle goes out and just runs it. every play. so we can all see what 80%+ run play team would look like.

i have a feeling the defense will just stack the box and we'll be going 3 and out.

You keep throwing out the 7/12 number, but accusing me of "shallow analysis." Yes, 7 of 12 plays were running plays, but that doesn't come close to telling the full story.

First three plays: we started with the ball at their 19-yard line thanks to Kerrigan's forced-fumble. There's 3 of your seven rushes right there. The next drive produced three more rushes. Broncos tied the game after a soul-sucking, clock eating drive. Skins get the ball back, throw three straight incompletions. That right there is where Kyle abandoned the run. one run the rest of the game, and its not like we were getting blown out! Inexcusable! As soon as the game was tied, Shanahan got pass-happy and never really looked back. Context matters when you're talking about playcalling. Its not like we were getting blown out by 30 points the whole time, we were still firmly in the game when he abandoned the run.

Deny it all you want, but its the facts.

If you think the reason we're losing is because we don't run the ball enough then so be it. I've made the case as best I can. I don't know what else to say.

If you think the reason we're losing is because we don't run the ball enough then so be it. I've made the case as best I can. I don't know what else to say.

Me either, I've made the case as best I can as well. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

The Outsider: Position-by-position review of the Redskins 45-21 loss to the Broncos

I thought Washington made a statement coming out of the half. After recovering a fumble on the Denver 20, Morris took three straight hand-offs and scored. That looked to be a statement of intent by the Redskins of how they meant to go on. Especially after the seven-minute, 16-play, 95-yard touchdown drive to end the first half. But after the touchdown that gave Washington a 21-7 lead, Morris only received five more carries the rest of the game. With a lead and the run game working, Morris should really have taken over the game. But instead of pounding the run game and giving Morris his deserved 25 touches, Kyle Shanahan opted to pass off of play-action. Had Morgan caught the ball he dropped, who knows how the game would have gone. But after that, Denver never looked like it was going to give up the big play Washington was looking for.

Can't agree more with this. Kyle was almost fanatical in his obsession with getting a deep play-action pass to work out! I just don't understand it.

The coaches film is now available. In regards to that 3 play series that were all passes that everyone is so mad about, where Morgan and Robinson drop balls on 1st and 3rd down, here's the 2nd down I was talking about where Reed is wide open, breaking up field. Reed is circled in red. Garcon is double covered in blue. Griffin threw the ball to Garcon. You can see from the condition of the pocket he had time/protection.

2e5nt6x.jpg

That's a 30+ yard play.

I find myself remembering the 2011 Redskins, where WR's run open and the QB just can't get them the ball. Though Grossman's problem was arm strength, not working through progressions/reading defenses.

It's been the same problem all year. When people are open griffin can't find them or can't throw an accurate pass; when he does they drop it. I don't know how you're supposed to be an effective playcaller when this is the crap you're getting for execution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.