• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Official Game Day Thread: Redskins At Denver

I went into this game thinking it would be hard to win, I had written it off as a loss on the schedule (though I joke about winning because I'm a homer)

But the way we lost is just infuriating to me. Going up against Payton Manning, on the road, our defense essentially gave us 14 points, and a lead by as much. What did our offense do? Our top-5 ranked offense last year that returned all its starters? I just pissed the game away. O line couldn't block, Griffin looks like a shell of his former self for whatever reason, WR's weren't getting open or dropped passes. About the only two people that don't have any fault are Morris and Helu.

We had them. It should have been over. We couldn't do a damned thing on offense... what did we have, 1 good drive? 1?

1?

how the **** do you only have one good drive in an entire game?

Washington Redskins vs. Denver Broncos - Play By Play - October 27, 2013 - ESPN

We had 8 plays in the third quarter on offense. 6 of them were handoffs to morris.
At the end of the 3rd it was 21-14
Quickly into the 4th it was 21-21.
Our first drive of the 4th quarter was 3 passes. (2 passes for first downs dropped, wrs were wide open pass was great) then Rocca punts it 15 freking yards.
Our second drive was 2 passes 1 run (Griffin fumbled on the 3rd play, 2nd pass)
Next time we got the ball back it was 21-31 with 11 minutes left in the game.

from there on out it was us trying to score quickly to catch back up.

i just don't know that i blame kyle all that much. the players have to execute and they didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was I the only one who watched the game last week? Griff looked REALLY good last week. He shoulders some of the blame this week, but the lion's share, imo, goes to Kyle. We score on the Donkeys in a BEAUTIFUL time killing, soul-sucking drive to close the half by running all over them, and then start chucking it around? Kyle wants to be the smartest guy in the room all the time. Drives me insane.

And WHY THE **** were we running playaction AFTER we abandoned the run? My 2nd grade daughter wasn't fooled, Kyle. Come on, man. I'm no genius, but I'm pretty sure you have to run the ball from time to time for the PA to be effective.

THIS! Seriously, Kyle was terrible this game. Griffin made some mistakes, I will not deny that. I'm shocked to see people give up on him though. Best thing to happen to this franchise in 20 years, and people are talking about trading him? Come on!!

One last thought...

Rambo and Gums played very well in my opinion. I thought Manning would abuse them from the start to the end. I don't recall 1 play over the top - and maybe there was one or two, but there weren't many.

Also - Hall is having his best season as a redskin. After being cut and resigned to lower his contract. It's a damned shame the rest of the team isn't making it a meaningful season for him.

Given that, and given that Morris was running so well, the playcalling in the second half was inexcusable. Absolutely terrible.

The defense didn't deserve this after the way they hung with the Denver Mannings for ttwo and half quarters.

So inexcusable...So terrible!

At 21-21 we completely abandoned the run. Hell, even Aikman was openly wondering what the hell was up with our playcalling.

Yes, Griffin was bad today. But that was compounded by the fact that he was asked to carry the team unnecesarily.

All of this said, I didn't go into this game expecting much. If someone had told me before the game we'd lost it 45-21 I wouldn't have been shocked. Calling for the entire team to be fired ... eh. Denvers a much better team. I'm not going to lose a ton of sleep over this one.

Ask me again in three weeks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

THIS! Seriously, Kyle was terrible this game. Griffin made some mistakes, I will not deny that. I'm shocked to see people give up on him though. Best thing to happen to this franchise in 20 years, and people are talking about trading him? Come on!!

Fans are idiots. You're just now figuring this out? :) I couldn't agree more, although it's obvious that Griffin is pressing and making a ton of mental mistakes. What I hope is happening is that he and Kyle are getting together and talking about why he's pressing, what he needs to do to become a true professional QB (he is not that yet), and how he can rectify the errors that are killing his team's chance to win. I'm not talking about this season, I'm talking about Griffin's growth as a QB and the learning process that has to happen for him to realize his potential.

And I hope the head coach is talking to his offensive coordinator about what a 'balanced' offense does for a team, and that he needs to play to the strengths of this team, which is clearly not to get into a passing shootout with the best passing offense in the NFL.

Our biggest problem is lacking great talent at some key spots, most notably on the offensive line. It's killing us and until we get that fixed, it is going to be hard to really assess anything else.

Yes, lets not forget Bob is only a second year QB. He really isn't perfect and he really will do some dumb young QB stuff. And the only way he'll work through that is on the field.

In addition to our patchwork safeties and Hall, Amerson played pretty well too I thought.

Had the offense been able to put one or two solid drives together in the second half the D would have had a respectable stat line. I really do feel bad for those guys.

... why can't we ever get both sides of the ball to play well at the same time?

We've had obstacles the last two years. Those obstacles will no longer be in effect for the upcoming offseason. The cap room will be enormous and we will be able to plug many holes. Until then, we must endure.

Washington Redskins vs. Denver Broncos - Play By Play - October 27, 2013 - ESPN

We had 8 plays in the third quarter on offense. 6 of them were handoffs to morris.
At the end of the 3rd it was 21-14
Quickly into the 4th it was 21-21.
Our first drive of the 4th quarter was 3 passes. (2 passes for first downs dropped, wrs were wide open pass was great) then Rocca punts it 15 freking yards.
Our second drive was 2 passes 1 run (Griffin fumbled on the 3rd play, 2nd pass)
Next time we got the ball back it was 21-31 with 11 minutes left in the game.

from there on out it was us trying to score quickly to catch back up.

i just don't know that i blame kyle all that much. the players have to execute and they didn't.

3 of those running plays to Morris came when Kerrigan forced a fumble at the 20 yard line. So, 3 running plays when up 21-14. Three! Inexcusable.

I seriously don't understand people putting this primarily on Griffin and even calling for him to be benched until he figured things out (although admittedly, 10 minutes before Dr. Andrews yanked Griffin from the game I was wanting to take Griff out simply because I didn't want him taking more hits and risking serious injury). Regardless, the most effective way for a quarterback (or any athlete for that matter) to figure things out, like the all-important timing thing, is reps in a game. I don't know how anyone expects him to "figure" things out being inactive.

And newsflash, Griffin is not superman. Let's think about things in reality: he's a sophomore QB who doesn't have the full mental development of a great quarterback (not to say that he won't reach that great NFL mentality in the future), he's coming back from a major injury which severely limited his practice time prior to the season, like someone else alluded too, Kyle's play calling for RG3 is often akin to fitting a square peg in a round hole (e.g. he is not utilizing RG3's strengths as much as he should be and is trying to force him into the type of play RG3 clearly isn't as comfortable with), he has zero protection and is getting the crap knocked out of him. Yeah, I might be a little tight and "gun shy" too. Obviously he had a bad game today, but to say he's been crap all season is ludicrous. People seriously need to calm down, take a step back and put the entire QB situation into a little perspective.

I don't know how you can be expected to play call when your QB looks that bad.
I do, it's called a run game. It was fairly effective in the first half from what I recall.

Last edited:
We've had obstacles the last two years. Those obstacles will no longer be in effect for the upcoming offseason. The cap room will be enormous and we will be able to plug many holes. Until then, we must endure.

With the talent we lack at key positions, how on earth do you seriously think a large bank roll is going to help? You guys keep suggesting this, but Shanahan had 2 million bucks that he spent this off-season on Fred Davis, a knuckle head coming off achilles tear, and didn't "truly" address the RT? I mean come on...Tony Pashos.

The cry about money is getting tiring. Hold on? What makes you think they will address the most glaring problem when they had the opportunity 2 times over the last 2 years. You mean to tell me the money Josh Morgan is getting couldn't have been used to sign Eric Winston...or the money Fred Davis got this year? Winston is a dramatic upgrade over TurnsTyler!!!

Shanahan has hit on a couple of players...big time...but the OL is a complete mess! While the ZBS is still working in the run game, our pass pro SUCKS!

I posted this when it was 21-31, and according to the scores, they scored TWICE more! Seems I made the right decision.

I stayed with it until the end. Believe it's referred as 'morbid curiosity' or something.

Obviously he had a bad game today, but to say he's been crap all season is ludicrous. People seriously need to calm down, take a step back and put the entire QB situation into a little perspective.

No Katie...his play has been poor all season long. The only game he looked like a quality QB was against Chicago. That is one good performance out of 7. Regardless why...injury, gun shy, Kyle being a buffoon on the play calling...Griffin has been anything but a good QB for the whole body of the last 7 games. I am not calling for him to be benched, I am not going to say trade him, we've got too much invested at this point to think that RG3 is going anywhere but behind center in a Redskins' uniform for the foreseeable future unless he gets injured. So I am not going to clamor for anything else, I just don't think he is as good as everyone says.

Again, having said that, Kyle Shanahan's play calling is in serious question.

......Again, having said that, Kyle Shanahan's play calling is in serious question.

Our offense seems so friggin simple to defend. If you're an opposing coach all you have to do against us is double Garçon, defend the run, and send a-gap blitzes all game.

All teams now know KS will abandon the run and a combination of Bobs recent play with our usual pass blocking will get you a victory formation.

3 of those running plays to Morris came when Kerrigan forced a fumble at the 20 yard line. So, 3 running plays when up 21-14. Three! Inexcusable.

What? You're taking away almost half the plays in the quarter... That's 3 out of 5 plays being runs after you take away those 3. You're being ridiculous. You now have to pull away almost half of the plays to try to make your point? We ran the ball 6 of 8 plays that quarter. That's 75% of the plays being runs. What do you want, 100%? That's absurd.

Kyle called 7 runs out of 12 plays to start the second half. After which we were down 31-21. You're right... we clearly should have run the ball more... it worked so well...

Saying the problem was getting away from the run is just shallow analysis...

Last edited by a moderator:
No Katie...his play has been poor all season long. The only game he looked like a quality QB was against Chicago. That is one good performance out of 7. Regardless why...injury, gun shy, Kyle being a buffoon on the play calling...Griffin has been anything but a good QB for the whole body of the last 7 games. I am not calling for him to be benched, I am not going to say trade him, we've got too much invested at this point to think that RG3 is going anywhere but behind center in a Redskins' uniform for the foreseeable future unless he gets injured. So I am not going to clamor for anything else, I just don't think he is as good as everyone says.

Again, having said that, Kyle Shanahan's play calling is in serious question.

yea. having my own thoughts on this. per analysis I raised earlier in the season:

1) he doesn't march through progressions well in the pocket. if folks can't see that by now, then they are never going to get it.

2) he locks onto receivers (the flip side to bullet one).

3) his accuracy has been horrendous.

4) he holds the ball too long.

5) his long balls have been friggin ugly this season.

where does this leave us? in the short-run, we're gonna have to use him as a running QB. that's his thing. in the long run, if he doesn't adapt. we are so screwed it's not even funny. we have no real passing attack game to game. teams know that if they force RGIII into the pocket his effectiveness drops hugely. the game plan is now out there.

RGIII is young and he is bright. all we can do is hope that over the next year or two he focuses on mastering the skills great QBs must have in their repertoire. otherwise - we had a great short-run but at a huge long-run cost.

yea. having my own thoughts on this. per analysis I raised earlier in the season:

1) he doesn't march through progressions well in the pocket. if folks can't see that by now, then they are never going to get it.

2) he locks onto receivers (the flip side to bullet one).

3) his accuracy has been horrendous.

4) he holds the ball too long.

5) his long balls have been friggin ugly this season.

where does this leave us? in the short-run, we're gonna have to use him as a running QB. that's his thing. in the long run, if he doesn't adapt. we are so screwed it's not even funny. we have no real passing attack game to game. teams know that if they force RGIII into the pocket his effectiveness drops hugely. the game plan is now out there.

RGIII is young and he is bright. all we can do is hope that over the next year or two he focuses on mastering the skills great QBs must have in their repertoire. otherwise - we had a great short-run but at a huge long-run cost.
I agree with your bullet points. Some people were talking about this in his rookie offseason and throughout last year, but were ignored and even ridiculed for it (as far as this site goes, El was way out in front of this one) because it was hard to see considering how well the team did towards the end of the season. It's clear as day now.

I'm how much of it you think is due to his injury?

I feel like his accuracy and bad deep balls are, which is preventing him from overcoming the rest of those problems.

But the rest of it are just problems he has had and hasn't gotten over yet. If you go back to what coaches were saying when they were rookies, there was specific praise of Cousins for his ability to go through his progressions (by both coaches and beat reporters at camp); the only thing anyone said about Griffin's ability to go through progressions was that he never worked with a route tree before.

I almost rather the team suffer through him figuring this out as opposed to letting him be a running qb (i hate that phrase...) in the short term. If he gets hurt or relies on running at the expense of learning to be a pocket passer then he's going to have very short career :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.