• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Of Touchdowns and a Guy Named Bob

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
With all the angst, anger and over reaction on the board this morning I thought perhaps something a little lighter might be in order.

Last week Griffin passed for 2 TDs. This week he threw for one and ran for two others. This gives him 5 in two games. If he continues at this rate (always tough to predict, I know) he could end up with 40 for the year, blowing away Cam Newton's rookie record of 35 last year.

And yeah, I know it is only 2 games but still...

Redskins offense has scored the most points in the NFL through 2 weeks (and pending the Falcons game tonight). Also a silver lining.

EDIT: They are also 4th overall in total offense.

They are also tied for first in TO differential at +5. Not too shabby.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and we still have Jim Haslett for at least 14 more weeks.

* sigh *

My guess is more than that now, Om. He will have a pretty solid excuse built in without two starters, one of those a Pro Bowler, for the next 14 games. And that is without factoring in the number of games Meriweather may miss as he is still likely out and who knows if Wilson will come back from his concussion to play against the Bengals this week.

Redskins offense has scored the most points in the NFL through 2 weeks (and pending the Falcons game tonight). Also a silver lining.

And Baltimore has the second most points.

The NFL is officially broken.

My guess is more than that now, Om. He will have a pretty solid excuse built in without two starters, one of those a Pro Bowler, for the next 14 games. And that is without factoring in the number of games Meriweather may miss as he is still likely out and who knows if Wilson will come back from his concussion to play against the Bengals this week.

(this is not on you neo, but the general rational you're describing)
i think thats a bs excuse. every team has to do deal with injuries. it's part of the game. missing 2 starters? there are teams that would kill to only be missing two starters come december.

It is sadly also a great built in excuse to keep Slowick, who I didn't want Shanahan bringing here in the first place and who I consider totally responsible for the piss pour play of the DBs the last 2 years.

Just realized that points-scored ranking includes the defensive TD yesterday. Whomp whomp.

(this is not on you neo, but the general rational you're describing)
i think thats a bs excuse. every team has to do deal with injuries. it's part of the game. missing 2 starters? there are teams that would kill to only be missing two starters come december.

I totally agree, T. However, we all know that much of the NFL coaching community will make excuses to cover for each other. Right now, I can think of two position coaches on the Redskins that I don't think I would have hired to start with and who have done nothing to change my mind about them since they got here with Shanahan 2 years ago, but they are still here.

Rams were missing two starters on their O-line.

Really screwed them, huh?

I totally agree, T. However, we all know that much of the NFL coaching community will make excuses to cover for each other. Right now, I can think of two position coaches on the Redskins that I don't think I would have hired to start with and who have done nothing to change my mind about them since they got here with Shanahan 2 years ago, but they are still here.

oh I know. Thats why I said it wasn't against you :) I knew you were just voicing what you knew was a common trend/way of doing business.

I'm not entirely sure who is at fault for what. All I know is you cannot play the way we played yesterday and be happy or pleased with the performance. It was bad. At 3 years in games like yesterday better be the exception, not the rule. We'll know more in December though.

Nope but it appeared to me that Haslett's gameplan specifically gave the new guys on the Rams line a pass for the game. Almost like he felt sorry for them or something.

I know it was the right thing to do at the time, but I still wish we had signed Wade Phillips and released Haslett the moment Phillips became available!

Edit: My apologies for detracting a bit. I just read what Om said and started thinking...

somethings wrong with this defense ..last year if we scored this much points , it was a win ..hands down !

I'm going to turn the tide of this thread from all the problems of yesterday back to the oringal topic.

Ladies and Gentlemen, after two games:
We have a quarterback.

For the first time in 28 years we have a quarterback that makes you sit on the edge of your seats when he takes the field - in a good way.

Through two games, both on the road, with a team no one thinks is of Super bowl caliber and a roster the best anyone thinks can do is get to the playoffs, our new beloved quarterback has amassed the following statistics:
Comp/ATT : 39 / 55
Pct: 70.9% (70.9% !!!! ONE ONE ONE !!1111!!)
Yards (passing, yes i have to clarify this!): 526
Yards (RUSHING!): 124
Passing Average: 9.9 yards
Rushing Average: 6.2 yards
Passing TDs: 3
Interceptions: 1
Rushing TDs: 2
Fumbles (LOST): 1 (0)
TD-to-Turnover-Ratio: 5:1
5:1 !!!!!!
Quarterback rating: 111.6

Again, Ladies and Gentlemen:
We have a quarterback.

Yeah, he's putting up some good stats, but I would like to have seen what he could have done given the chance yesterday instead of attempting the 62 yard FG. Not saying I am not pleased thus far. But it's 2 games in, his one chance to come from behind was unsuccessful. I want to see how he handles pressure and yesterday I would give him a B- in that regard. The week before he got an A+ so don't think I am being overly critical.

6th in completion percentage
13th in yards
4th in yards per pass
Longest pass of the season
Tied for 10th (with 9 other QB's) in passing touchdowns
Tied for 17th (with 9 other QB's) for interceptions
Tied for 20th (with 5 other QB's) for sacks
5th in QB Rating
14th in yards/game

(does not include Matt Ryan or Payton Manning's stats from tonight, which both will probably be ahead of him stats wise at the end of the night)

Yeah, he's putting up some good stats, but I would like to have seen what he could have done given the chance yesterday instead of attempting the 62 yard FG. Not saying I am not pleased thus far. But it's 2 games in, his one chance to come from behind was unsuccessful. I want to see how he handles pressure and yesterday I would give him a B- in that regard. The week before he got an A+ so don't think I am being overly critical.

I'm not sure how you are pinning the fact that the coaches decided to kick a FG on Griff? He led the team down the field, got us in the position to kick the tying FG, not sure what else you want from him. He made some rookie mistakes yesterday, and possibly should have had another INT, but overall, he looked fantastic.

I give him an A- for yesterday.

Yeah and he made a pass on 3rd and long to make it forth and a foot, with less than 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, down by 3.

He put us in a position where we had to decide between going for it on 4th and a foot, an option that only exists because of Griffin's abilities, or kicking a very makable field goal.

The fact that we wound up with 4th and 16 with a 62 yard attempt is well beyond Griffin's control.

I'm not sure how you are pinning the fact that the coaches decided to kick a FG on Griff? He led the team down the field, got us in the position to kick the tying FG, not sure what else you want from him. He made some rookie mistakes yesterday, and possibly should have had another INT, but overall, he looked fantastic.

I give him an A- for yesterday.

I am not blaming Griff for that decision Goal. That was not the basis for the B- for yesterday's game. I am basing that opinion on the way he handled himself a few times on the field, the way he was flustered when the Rams hit him with a couple of cheap shots. He didn't handle it as well as I would like to have seen, but at least he didn't handle it like Josh Morgan.

What I would like to have seen was him hitting the wide open receiver down field when he had time instead of throwing a poor pass that reminded me of McNabb on the last drive. I would like to have seen him hit the edge on 1st and 10 of that drive when there was a wide open field for him to chew off yardage, instead he held on to the ball too long and ended up throwing the ball away. I would like to have seen him a little more patient when he threw that INT. Don't forget, we had another questionable penalty that gave us a first down during that drive so it wasn't all Griff's doing to get us almost into FG range.

Yeah and he made a pass on 3rd and long to make it forth and a foot, with less than 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, down by 3.

He put us in a position where we had to decide between going for it on 4th and a foot, an option that only exists because of Griffin's abilities, or kicking a very makable field goal.

The fact that we wound up with 4th and 16 with a 62 yard attempt is well beyond Griffin's control.

Again, I am not blaming him for that either. I am not blaming Griff for anything other than some rookie mistakes. Mistakes that are normal and to be expected. Again, you are putting a lot of stock in stats. The only one that matters to me is the 5:1 TO ratio, but his turnover yesterday was his fault and it could have been avoided had he been playing with a cooler head. That INT came right after one of the late cheap shots the play or 2 plays prior. But like we discussed in chat yesterday, those are going to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.