• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

OF: The Clinton Portis Legacy

I keep hearing about how our Offensive line sucked while Clinton was here and while the last 3 years has proven to show a poor offensive line, they were damn good his first 4 years here. In fact that line was arguably the best unit on our team for a few seasons. Portis had the luxury of a great offensive line the first season here,
Damn good, I agree with. Great, no so much. Buges got the best out of them, but damn good was the ceiling. Of course, second year Portis is here, if Randy Thomas doesn't get hurt, Rabach and Jansen don't require off season shoulder surgery, and Carlos ****ing Rogers could catch!, we may still be talking about how Portis took the team on his back, running behind a damn good line, and helped win us another Super Bowl, with little to no passing game. Oh, and a defense playing lights out football.

But, alas...

I disagree with McD5 about CP being average.
Well, he weren't no Ladell Betts.;)

Of course, second year Portis is here, if...Carlos ****ing Rogers could catch!, we may still be talking about how Portis took the team on his back, running behind a damn good line, and helped win us another Super Bowl.

Thanks for that memory...GOOD RIDDANCE, CARLOS!

I dont agree with your list of his duties. He was asked to block well before catching if for no other reason but our OL has sucked big time and he was needed as a last line of defense.

Plus when he wasnt injured he was good for 1200 + yards each season..thats nothing to shake a stick at either.

mike...was Portis asked to block in Denver? or was this a skill he picked up in DC?

mike...was Portis asked to block in Denver? or was this a skill he picked up in DC?

fansince, I know you're asking Mike (Mike, I apologize for "jumping line" here) but I got curious and Googled and wound up in a Broncos fan forum thread about the Champ Bailey trade where I quickly found the following two comments:

"Oh and yes im serious, Clinton Portis is one of the best all around backs in the league... Hes our teams leader, Best pass blocking running back in the league, rushing consistenly and can catch the ball pretty good for a running back. With his speed and power he can break one lose anyday of the week. You saw it againts the Rams and you have seen it againts the Bears"

"you can thank us for coaching him that way" was a reply to that post.

Link:http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=55671&pp=15

Apparently he did have a reputation for good pass blocking while he was at Denver.

thanks gents! you know...the best thing about CP was what sometimes irritated us: his individualism. in my book he gave his all for the team.....but he always fought to maintain his identity...admittedly in dysfunctional ways occasionally.

I've been a fan of the Redskins since birth (it's in the will too, hehe). Over the years, I have come to accept that there is a time to move on. I did it with the teams of the 70s - the "Over The Hill Gang" had a great run, but it was time to move forward.

After the 70s, it was time to see what the young guns had to offer. After three Super Bowl trophies, it was a great run indeed. By the early 90s, it was tough to say so long to "The Hogs", "The Posse", "The Fun Bunch", and to the Coach himself. Yes, times have been tough since those days, but we have come to the end of another era.

Just like all of the aformentioned characters, it is time to move on from CP26. I loved his style and what he brought to the team. A new regime is in town and things look very promising for the first time in many years. Moving forward doesn't mean that we erase the memories of yesterday. We will cherish these moments forever and continue to hope for a great future.

CP26 will probably play one more year in another uniform as a third down type, but nothing more. After his time elsewhere, he can still retire as a member of the Redskins. He will always be a member of the family. Best wishes to CP26.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.