• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Obama aims to ax moon mission

..."Lately we've been having to wrangle around what used to be pretty noncontroversial things -- providing loans for small businesses, extending unemployment insurance when 8 million people lost their jobs during the recession. But lately there's a minority of Senators from the other party who've had a different idea. As we speak, they are using their power to stop this relief from going to the American people. And they won't even let these measures come up for a vote. They block it through all kinds of procedural maneuvering in the Senate."
Way off topic but this is a case where Obama is just wrong and the GOP is right, even though I think it's more about obstructionism with them than doing the right thing.

I get that the liberal in Obama wants to help people get over this tough patch and in fact, the extension in unemployment benefits was much needed...once or twice. However, at this point I think the continually extended unemployment benefits are keeping people on the sidelines that would have otherwise been forced to take some job, anyjob to maintain some level of income in the short term. In turn, that's hurt Obama's unemployment numbers.

Agreed. Sarge and others have been very kind in offering assistance to me on more than one occasion. When I mentioned some of our heated discussions to IIRC Sarge, he put it best by replying in effect..."That stuff, that's foolishness. This is important, this is real life."

I feel the same way. There are very, very few folks I've interacted with on this and other MB's that I'd refuse any assistance I could offer. Though I don't always make it obvious, I consider many of you to be acquaintances at the very least and in some cases true friends.

Now come here you...:grouphug: Cumbyah my Lord, cumbyah.... :grouphug:

Thanks Bro. Back at you. :cheers:

Now that we have gone through the ritual exchange of compliments, can we get back to arguing?

Way off topic but this is a case where Obama is just wrong and the GOP is right, even though I think it's more about obstructionism with them than doing the right thing.

I get that the liberal in Obama wants to help people get over this tough patch and in fact, the extension in unemployment benefits was much needed...once or twice. However, at this point I think the continually extended unemployment benefits are keeping people on the sidelines that would have otherwise been forced to take some job, anyjob to maintain some level of income in the short term. In turn, that's hurt Obama's unemployment numbers.

the point I'm making is that in Feb Mr O makes a statement about "pay go" and then last week makes a diametrically opposed statement about Republican efforts to enforce "pay go".....that's what the unemployment comp friction was all about.

this President will say anything that is expedient from week to week. that's part of the problem. see immigration law for another scintillating example.

It just seems that liberal wingnuttery seems to be on the wane since Reagan left office. Of course that's just my personal opinion.

A wry sense of humor you have grasshoppa!

Who do you think is running the show right now?

the point I'm making is that in Feb Mr O makes a statement about "pay go" and then last week makes a diametrically opposed statement about Republican efforts to enforce "pay go".....that's what the unemployment comp friction was all about.

this President will say anything that is expedient from week to week. that's part of the problem. see immigration law for another scintillating example.

And imagine if he had said, "we need to reach out to Irish Catholic nations"

From a Nexis search a few moments ago:

Total words about the NASA Muslim outreach program in the New York Times: 0.

Total words about the NASA Muslim outreach program in the Washington Post: 0.

Total words about the NASA Muslim outreach program on NBC Nightly News: 0.

Total words about the NASA Muslim outreach program on ABC World News: 0.

Total words about the NASA Muslim outreach program on CBS Evening News: 0.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...on-feeding-frenzy-97928959.html#ixzz0t0Gpk08x

At least The Daily Show's got it covered. :)

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-7-2010/wish-you-weren-t-here

well..yes and no. that schtick was a complete perversion of Reagan. but par for the times!

Oh I agree. Context is clearly important, and I would expect taking a statement like that out of context for the purpose of mockery/feigned outrage to be the purview of a comedy show.

Sad to say...this President appears to be either delusional or an inveterate LIAR. His whopper in Kansas City the other day is especially amusing. His MO is obvious:

- demonize whoever disagrees with him

- make public statements that position him to the center but follow a Leftist agenda

There's nothing wrong with The Prez following his agenda. What is wrong is his pandering to higher values such as transparency, ethical government, etc., while lieing about his own intentions and goals.

This guy is going to turn out to be one of the most colossally damaging Presidents in generations. Far worse than the bumbling Bush and on a trajectory to pass Carter.

well..yes and no. that schtick was a complete perversion of Reagan. but par for the times!

Even though I don’t agree with his politics, I like Stewart. His show is very funny.

But notice that in the clip they cut the Bolden quote before he said “to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science ... and math and engineering,"

That’s the phrase that makes the whole policy stupid and Stewart had to cut it because then the “Republicans as hypocrites” clips wouldn’t fit. He could have just as easily included the entire quote and then used it to make fun of the whole “self-esteem education” movement or the fact that the middle east Muslim world has fallen behind in science and technology simply by pointing out how long ago their historical accomplishments were. But Stewart isn’t wired that way, so he had to cut the quote where he did.

Now there is nothing wrong with reaching out to other nations, including Muslim nations. But you don’t reach out to make them feel good about their (non) accomplishments. You reach out to them to accomplish something which was exactly what Regan was trying to do. Unfortunately, the Muslim Middle East has nothing to bring to the table in this area.

Obama would help the Middle East Muslim world more by using his bully pulpit to keep pointing out that in some (not all) countries, the combination of their anti-modern culture combined with the lack of individual freedom under brutal dictatorships is causing them to fall further and further behind and limiting the opportunities for their youth. The fact is, the only real self-esteem comes from your own accomplishments and can’t be bestowed on you by a parent, teacher, boss, coach or even the head of NASA telling you how special you are.

But, I’m no longer disappointed by Obama. I used to have high hopes for him but while I expect all politicians to lie, it was like he turned a switch the minute he got into office. It’s not just his policies which are bad enough but his tone has turned 180 degrees from his campaign tone. That has turned off a lot of Republicans and conservative independents that in the beginning had a lot of good will toward him.

Well, to be fair if you watch the entire interview, Bolden was speaking within the context of expanding international outreach and mutual cooperation to help further projects such as, specifically, the International Space Station. And that NASA has been in the business of working with the international community for over a decade now, since long before Obama was in office.

Of course, Fox conveniently left all that out.

The difference is that Foxnews is not a comedy show.

Unfortunately, there are too many people out there who believe The Daily Show is.

Well, to be fair if you watch the entire interview, Bolden was speaking within the context of expanding international outreach and mutual cooperation to help further projects such as, specifically, the International Space Station. And that NASA has been in the business of working with the international community for over a decade now, since long before Obama was in office.

Of course, Fox conveniently left all that out.

And what exactly does the Middle East (with the exception of Israel of course) bring to the table in space exploration?

As opposed to what?

Well, just like most news outlets Fox certainly does slant things toward their base audience. You ask opposed to what? As opposed to using several different media outlets like Fox, CNN, WSJ, the Washington Post and most importantly CSPAN. Perhaps even going to certain government websites that are in charge of certain issues, like the Congressional Budget Office website or other related sites.

But for our youth, and I am talking under 30, to base their knowledge of current events on John Stewart is sad!

Edit: What is even more sad is that I know people who are nearing 40 who use Stewart as their only source of current events.

Last edited:
And what exactly does the Middle East (with the exception of Israel of course) bring to the table in space exploration?

How should I know? I'm no scientist.

Is asking someone who IS a scientist to find out ... is that SO terrible that it warrants four pages of outrage? I'm far more ticked at the whole 'ax moon landing' thing.

Besides, since we're picking apart what people say, Bolden didn't specify the Middle East. He said 'the Muslim world.'

Are you suggesting there are no muslims anywhere capable of contributing to an international space effort?

...well, not a good one anyway. :) The Daily Show, while openly a liberally slanted comedy show, nonetheless does a better job of delivering news than the alleged news channel. That anyone actually thinks of, and tries to pass off Faux News as a legitimate news source is as sad as the numbers of people who do actually use The Daily Show as their primary news source. In spite of that, those Daily Show folks are getting a more balanced view of things than the former group that clings to Faux News.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Well, just like most news outlets Fox certainly does slant things toward their base audience. You ask opposed to what? As opposed to using several different media outlets like Fox, CNN, WSJ, the Washington Post and most importantly CSPAN. Perhaps even going to certain government websites that are in charge of certain issues, like the Congressional Budget Office website or other related sites.

But for our youth, and I am talking under 30, to base their knowledge of current events on John Stewart is sad!

Edit: What is even more sad is that I know people who are nearing 40 who use Stewart as their only source of current events.

I'm guessing what you meant to post then was "Unfortunately, there are too many people out there who DON'T believe The Daily Show is."

Which makes a lot more sense. :)

However, if your point is that people are stupid and will believe anything, I would submit that may not be exclusive to the liberal audience.

I'm guessing what you meant to post then was "Unfortunately, there are too many people out there who DON'T believe The Daily Show is."

Which makes a lot more sense. :)

However, if your point is that people are stupid and will believe anything, I would submit that may not be exclusive to the liberal audience.

Not sure if you are intentionally trying to bait me into saying Fox is a legitimate news source or not, but they are! Their Sunday morning show with Chris Matthews and the 6pm news with Brett Baier are legitimate!

But since Yusuf has entered the mix, I will refrain from any further comments!

How should I know? I'm no scientist.

Is asking someone who IS a scientist to find out ... is that SO terrible that it warrants four pages of outrage? I'm far more ticked at the whole 'ax moon landing' thing.

Besides, since we're picking apart what people say, Bolden didn't specify the Middle East. He said 'the Muslim world.'

Are you suggesting there are no muslims anywhere capable of contributing to an international space effort?

I’m sure there are but that wasn’t what he said. The stupid part of the comment was the make them feel good part. In its own way, it kind of derogatory toward Muslims. It’s like, “You should really good about your contribution to math and science. You did a lot a thousand years ago and you’re just in a little slump right now. But you are trying really, really hard.”

I’m really looking forward to the time when NASA reaches out to Druids and makes them feel good about their accomplishments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.