• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL Draft Day 3 (Allen audio/Final)

It's sad how many fans still seem to think he was worth more. Homerism at its best (or is it worst?).

:bsflag:

This is utterly absurd. Campbell, like him or not, managed to fall right in the middle of the league last year as far as starting QBs go. There were a whole lot of QBs in this league who fared worse than he did with better protection, better tools, or a more stable coaching/management situation.

I'm not about to say I think Campbell was the right QB for this team's future, but I do think it's a shame that a decent quarterback was so devalued by the management of this football team in years past. I'm no Campbell fanboy, but I think we can all agree, the guy never got a fair shake. Best of luck to the dude in Oakland, even if we should have garnered more for the guy on a level playing field(which admittedly, does not exist).

:bsflag:

This is utterly absurd. Campbell, like him or not, managed to fall right in the middle of the league last year as far as starting QBs go. There were a whole lot of QBs in this league who fared worse than he did with better protection, better tools, or a more stable coaching/management situation.

I'm not about to say I think Campbell was the right QB for this team's future, but I do think it's a shame that a decent quarterback was so devalued by the management of this football team in years past. I'm no Campbell fanboy, but I think we can all agree, the guy never got a fair shake. Best of luck to the dude in Oakland, even if we should have garnered more for the guy on a level playing field(which admittedly, does not exist).

And I say :bsflag: back to you.

Statistically, JC was in the middle of the pack, but who gives a rat's a$$ about stats? What did JC ever do to win a game? Most of his best stats came when the game was out of hand when the opposing Ds were giving up yardage and just preventing a score. He couldn't hit a receiver in stride if he tried. His vision of the field was pathetic (it was widely known league-wide that he only could pay attention to half the field at a time).

How did he not get a fair shake? He had 5 years to learn to be an NFL QB and he couldn't make it happen.

And it comes down to this: in two off-seasons of trying to move the guy, the best we could get is a 4th rounder 2 years out! The market has spoken, and only one team was interested enough to make a move, and that team is run by a senile old geezer 30 years past his prime.

I actually think the truth is somewhere smack dab in the middle of those two positions. Sabre has a point that JC was far from awful, hardly an embarrasment at the QB position. Neophyte eloquently made the case that JC had a lot of positive traits. I think where the support is difficult to sustain is when you begin to talk about JC's upside. Yes, to be fair, statistically-speaking, Campbell improved every year. But given a considerable window to show he *could be the guy*, that he had the *it factor* to carry a team as it's most crucial player, he came up flat.

Great guy.

Decent QB.

But those 2 things don't equate to much NFL success. Yeah, JC was middle of the road for NFL QBs. And middle of the road, more often than not = no playoffs and only occasional flashes of success. He wasn't the answer and we had to move on. Was it fair to him? Could he have had a more promising future under better circumstances? I don't know, nor does anyone else. But the really good QBs make their own destiny. And that might be the most damning fact of them all.

Campbell couldn't.

John Clayton wrote in an article for ESPN that the 4th we got for Campbell was conditional - the Raiders have to make the playoffs, or Campbell has to make the pro bowl.

2. The Raiders: For years the Oakland Raiders have been rightfully criticized for reaching for speedy players who can't produce on the field. Al Davis got it right this year. He added to a solid draft by picking up Campbell for a conditional fourth-round pick, whose conditions appear to be unachievable. For the Redskins to get that fourth-round pick, the Raiders would either have to make the playoffs or Campbell would have to go to the Pro Bowl. Odds of that are about as good as JaMarcus Russell being on the Raiders' roster this fall. The Campbell acquisition is expected to close the disastrous Russell era. Raiders fans must be rejoicing. Russell created a black hole as far as completing passes consistently. If that weren't enough, the Raiders didn't reach for choices. Their defense is going to be better with linebacker Rolando McClain and defensive tackle Lamarr Houston. Instead of reaching for speedy left tackle Bruce Campbell in the first round, the Raiders got him in the fourth. Sure, Davis couldn't resist going for the fastest player at the combine -- Clemson wide receiver Jacoby Ford -- but he did it with a fourth-round choice, much better than watching the fast but butterfingered Darrius Heyward-Bey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5132435

John Clayton wrote in an article for ESPN that the 4th we got for Campbell was conditional - the Raiders have to make the playoffs, or Campbell has to make the pro bowl.

Boy...that's even more depressing... :wall:

I've heard that rumor, but I haven't heard anyone say it officially. Not sure Clayton qualifies, although he of course could still have good information.

I think it would dampen my enthusiasm for the trade if it proves accurate.

Well, since neither of those things are happening, the Raiders got him for free. If the rumor is true.

Since the subject of JC's trade is being discussed here, I went to three Raiders fan forums to gauge their fan reaction and if the forums are any indication he'll be receiving a pretty warm welcome. There are a noticeable number who don't like the idea, but the majority, by what seems to be about a 2 to 1 margin are everything from relieved to tickled pink. Most think he is at least as good or possibly a bit better than Gradkowski and everybody is sick to death of the Jamarcus Russell "experiment."

I also hope the info about the 2012 4th round pick conditions are not correct as far as making the playoffs or Campbell becoming a Pro-Bowl QB candidate, but I do believe, especially given the unusually sensible draft picks the Raiders made-Al must've been taking a nap-the Raiders will be a better team with Jason there.

If this is conditional and we get nothing if the Raiders/Campbell don't meet the goal this will be an absolutely bad move.

One thing I have thought about: I wonder if the redskins asked specifically for the 4th to be in 2012. There is still a chance in 2011 that there will be a strike/lockout and if that occurred my guess is that there wouldn't be a draft and if the pick was in 2011 it would be void in future years.

Can't confirm that, but it would make sense to make sure they get their pick.

Clayton's story has been debunked by Rick Maese on Twitter. It's not conditional, other than on JC passing his physical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.