• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL.com - Who's really in charge? Power structures vary across NFC East

SNF

The Starter
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-charge-power-structures-vary-across-nfc-east

By Albert Breer

WASHINGTON REDSKINS
Owner: Daniel Snyder, 15th year
General Manager: Bruce Allen, 4th year
Head Coach: Mike Shanahan, 4th year
Other front-office notables: Scott Campbell, Director of Player Personnel; Morocco Brown, Director of Pro Personnel.

Who's really in charge? There are few true coach-driven organizations left, but this is one of them. Mike Shanahan holds the title of vice president of football operations, and he has control over all football decisions, including the draft and 53-man roster. His clout mirrors the power he had during his later years in Denver, when the team leveled off a bit but was successful drafting and developing young guys like Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Ryan Clady and Elvis Dumervil.

Bruce Allen's role as general manager is wide-ranging, and he's vital in creating the bridge between the coaching and scouting sides of the building. Director of player personnel Scott Campbell and director of pro personnel Morocco Brown are Shanahan's eyes and ears while he's coaching, since generally Shanny focuses on the on-field product during the season. There was one prominent exception to that: In 2011, he started looking at tape on college quarterbacks late in the year. Washington wound up trading up and taking Robert Griffin III with the No. 2 overall selection of the 2012 NFL Draft.

Snyder still has strong opinions and is never afraid to share them, but the owner seems to have taken a bit of a step back on the football side, having entrusted the reins to Shanahan. Both Allen and Shanahan report to Snyder, and Allen has proven to be a vital piece in effectively connecting ownership to the football operation.

An outside perspective from an NFC executive: "The Redskins might have the most experienced brain trust of any team. Mike's very well-respected through the league, won multiple Super Bowls, very successful. And Bruce has been an Executive of the Year (with the Oakland Raiders in 2002), and he's known as a 'coach's GM,' and will do anything to help make sure things run smooth. And I think last year, with the quarterback trade, they showed they're willing to be bold. You just won't find a more experienced, well-versed coach/GM team than those two. And I don't think it's necessarily that Snyder's not as involved, as it is that he's found a pair he's very happy with. That's kind of the natural evolution for an owner, and you're seeing it there."

It is so nice to see articles like this one. We've come a long way in the last few years and it has been a pleasure to see how a franchise is built and evolved into a true football team. Thanks for posting it SNF.

Let us start 0-1, and the same writers praising these guys will be calling for their heads :laugh:

It is so nice to see articles like this one. We've come a long way in the last few years and it has been a pleasure to see how a franchise is built and evolved into a true football team. Thanks for posting it SNF.

Very true. That's why I get angry when I see people picking apart individual decisions that have gone wrong. We all know there's quite a few of them - McNabb, you could argue the handling of Haynesworth, plenty don't like the hiring of Hasslett, handling Griffin's injury(ies?), some questionable characters brought in through free agency, etc etc.

But overall we are actually run like a legit football organization. For the first time in my life time (that I'm old enough to actually understand and remember) this team isn't a clown show and a laughing stock of the league.

A few years ago no one wanted to work as head coach for one of the most valuable franchises in the NFL.... now look at us.

Oh, and I find it telling that we still have the same scouting department.

Vinny was such a dumbass. If the plot from the movie The Purge was true I'd spend my 1 day a year hunting down Cerrato.

SNF - seriously thinking about putting you in charge of our Home Page :)

tshile...oh man every Redskins fan who's lived through the last 20 years deserves to have been there the previous roughly 20 or so. That sucks, the 80's were beyond fun as a Skins fan.

I can imagine. My dad tells me about them all the time. He likes to rub it in my face :)

Agreed, you have to look at the complete body of work. Beathard and Gibbs missed on trades for guys like Malcolm Barnwell and gave up first and second round choices for Gerald Riggs who after one strong season as starter fit into the role of short yardage back.

Can you imagine the backlash today if the Redskins traded their 1 and 2 picks in 2015 for guy who started for one year and then became a role player?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.