• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL.com: Robert Griffin III on Cousins: It's not a competition

Of course they weren't losers, but they weren't driven to their successes by their competition. They were driven to their excesses because they were driven to be the best. It's an inner drive that separates the absolute best athletes from the rest. If you don't have it, some contrived notion of competing with others in camp isn't going to get you anywhere close. He was brought here to be the man and everyone knows it. He's taking it as his responsibility. No sense in sugar coating the situation or throwing out platitudes on a competition that doesn't exist.

I am not disputing why Griff was brought here. I understand he is the #1 and am looking forward to watching him show why on the field.

I am disputing you're silly notion that the greats don't need competition. It's just foolish to think that competition does not breed greatness and vice versa. Competition fuels greatness! The greatest at anything have always thrived on competition. Look at Ali/Frazier! It isn't the fuel for losers! I really don't understand where you get that idea.

And you are absolutely mistaken if you truly believe the competition between Bird and Magic was not the catalyst for their greatness. It was that competition that drove them and they have admitted as much. If you ever get the chance, watch this. Competition with each other was their drive! And I would never call them losers.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxlLCSktpfc[/media]

You insinuated he is not giving fulll effort to learn the play book. He can either shut himself off or he can participate with the media. Theres no reason for him to shut himself off when every indication form anyone in the know is he is working his but off. Complaining that he should be studying instead of giving interviews and such is humorous.

I did not insinuate anything, I was straight forward with the thought that he should have answered the question differently. There is a happy medium to this issue. No one has said he needs to be a hermit, but there is a point where he has to slow down, put the product on the field first and stop with the promotional tour. This franchise has paid a very high price for him and it was paid for more than just to see him promote himself or even the team. It was paid for him to be the best he can be. And this is not insinuation, it's me flat out saying it...if he's out there on a media blitz, he sure enough isn't putting in a total effort for the on field product. Again, there is a medium, he doesn't have to be a monk but I personally would like to see him focus a little more on the playbook and back away from the media blitz.

I don't think the 'over-extending himself' conversation would have even come up if Griffin himself hadn't comment on how tired he was and then gone on to attribute it to all the appearances he is making.

That doesn't necessarily equate to the argument that he can't be committing himself 100% to learning the job. But it does raise the issue if all of the ridiculous media focus and attention may prove to be a distraction. Let's hope not.

The FO should limit his appearances. They are foolhardy if they don't. Griffin is still a rookie and he needs to be protected from his agreeable self.

The FO should limit his appearances. They are foolhardy if they don't. Griffin is still a rookie and he needs to be protected from his agreeable self.
He's not under contract yet, so they can't really tell him what to do.

From what I know of him, he would follow their direction on availability to the media. I suspect that the owner wants him out there as much as possible. Good for sales.

From what I know of him, he would follow their direction on availability to the media. I suspect that the owner wants him out there as much as possible. Good for sales.

That's what scares me most... Are the dollar signs ringing in Snyder's head so much that he is willing to stretch this 23 yr old kid to the limits promoting the Redskins?

Whose idea was it for him to show up at the USA v. Brazil game? Not saying he shouldn't be there, but he automatically came away with another gig idea with Mia Hamm. http://www.whosay.com/robertgriffiniii/photos/182167

Like I said early in the thread, I think the kid is maximizing profit here. I also think he is basking in the media sun, I just hope he doesn't fly like Icarus.

I'm curious - is the Andrew Luck exposure as prevalent in the Indy/Northeast markets? We barely hear anything about him out in Tejas. Of course, he had school requirements that kept him away from the Colts until June (or possibly July), so that could have something to do with it as well.

Personally, I don't think a few appearances in the OTA stages of football really set RG3 back. If they do, its a negligible amount that will have little bearing on the final product. I mean, can you imagine a scenario in which he comes out, throws a pick to lose the game, and says "Damn, I sure wish I hadn't done that SB Nation interview. THAT was the day I was studying this play!"

Personally, I don't think a few appearances in the OTA stages of football really set RG3 back. If they do, its a negligible amount that will have little bearing on the final product. I mean, can you imagine a scenario in which he comes out, throws a pick to lose the game, and says "Damn, I sure wish I hadn't done that SB Nation interview. THAT was the day I was studying this play!"

I think that misses the point though Lanky. Don't get me wrong, I think the Shanahans are smart and if they see him fatigued, not as focused as they'd like, or whatever, they likely would ask him to reign in his public activities a bit. But he's all over the place. I think the issue (if there ever were one) would be that he exhausts himself trying to be all things to all people. I think that's clearly his nature.

I don't think it's a 'problem', but for a rookie QB with, talent or no, a hell of a lot to learn, it could be a distraction.

And you are absolutely mistaken if you truly believe the competition between Bird and Magic was not the catalyst for their greatness. It was that competition that drove them and they have admitted as much. If you ever get the chance, watch this. Competition with each other was their drive! And I would never call them losers.

I can't answer for steve, but it seems like a different animal - they weren't teammates competing for the same position.

This would be a more apt comparison for Griffin competing against another elite QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Sales" would be through the roof no matter what lol...(and already are). He won't slip off the radar if he's not out constantly doing promotional signings and such.

It could be that Shanahan doesn't see any problem so far with RG3's off-field activities, and actually could have been expecting it of him. We may also be better served not reading too much into the "exhausted" comment...I've said I was exhausted numerous times for various reasons, and never really meant it. Sometimes "exhausted" just means "I have a lot on my plate"...not that the amount on the plate is starting to take its toll.

I'm curious - is the Andrew Luck exposure as prevalent in the Indy/Northeast markets? We barely hear anything about him out in Tejas. Of course, he had school requirements that kept him away from the Colts until June (or possibly July), so that could have something to do with it as well.
I believe Luck is not attending OTAs due to school requirements or something like that...so he's not as visible or available as Griffin is right now. And because of that, the media is flocking to Griffin a little more than they would if Luck were with the Colts and impressing everyone (as he definitely will be doing).

Look, I need to know certain things. Does he sleep with one leg out of the covers? Does he chee his food 50eats times before swallowing? What toothpaste does he hse for crying outloud?!!!!

Its all life or death, bro!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

LOL! Mike gets best post in the thread as far as I'm concerned-good one Mike! :thumbsup:

I believe Luck is not attending OTAs due to school requirements or something like that...so he's not as visible or available as Griffin is right now. And because of that, the media is flocking to Griffin a little more than they would if Luck were with the Colts and impressing everyone (as he definitely will be doing).

Correct. Currently Luck is still at Stanford and is scheduled to be with the Colts again on June 12th to open their next mini-camp.

Yeah, I would imagine so. I'm sure there are rules limiting his appearances right now also, since he is still a student.

I imagine of lot of Griffin's personal and public appearances are set up and worked through his agent and management company. Besides his football contract, their job is getting his face "out there" for endorsement deals or whatever else can line his pockets as well as theirs.

NOW is the time to get the ball rolling on this before he signs with the Skins and becomes property. While agents and management companies are all about the Benjamins, I'm pretty sure they are monitoring things in HIS interest as well. They're all familiar with "personal appearance burnout" and, if the Skins have concerns, I'm sure they'll listen. Ultimately, until he is signed, the Skins really have no say other than "advising". As long as he gives his all to the Skins upon signing, I'm not concerned with all this other stuff. He has a great head on his shoulders so let him enjoy. I can't see him making any bad decisions other than a little lack of sleep.

When it comes to Luck, he's melba toast to RG3's jalapeno-bacon popper :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

I like melba toast.

I can't answer for steve, but it seems like a different animal - they weren't teammates competing for the same position.

This would be a more apt comparison for Griffin competing against another elite QB.

You speak for me just fine. It is a different thing. Competition will certainly compell athletes, but competing for a position is going to have no impact on a truly great athletes performance. Course, time will tell if he proves to be great, but that is the expectation.

When will the offseason be over?

You really believe there will be less bickering and more peace, after the season starts ?

"I KNEW Banks would muff a punt. I TOLD you we should have cut his sorry *** during training camp !"

"Are you on drugs ? If Banks returns 2 TD's this year, which he is quite likely to do, that's worth much more than 1 muffed punt !"

"Season aint even over yet. We're only 4 games through. At this pace, he'll have FOUR muffed punts by the end of the year !! So you really believe he'll proportionately have EIGHT TD's by the end of the year ?!?!"

"So, who would you rather have back there - a rookie like Bernstine, who's liable to make even more mistakes than Banks ?!?"

"I would rather have your grandmother back there, than Banks, frankly"

MOD : "You guys take this discussion to PM, or else you'll both be playing football with your grandmothers, instead of being able to post on BGO."

:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.