• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL.com: "Package Deal"

Dead Money

, Mike Wise HATE'r
Reaction score
Front and center on NFL.com making me throw up in my mouth a little....

package_zps90f63f1f.jpg

Kyle Shanahan-Kirk Cousins package could entice many teams

The regular season is just nine short days from ending. At that point, 12 teams will begin to prepare for their playoff experience, while the remaining 20 squads will lick their wounds and make plans for 2013.

But the potential head coaches who will garner the most attention as viable hires will be the ones who best address the quarterback issue in the interview. Some will have plans on paper -- quarterbacks that interest them, etc. Others, like Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator/interim head coach Bruce Arians, will have fresh tape of a rookie signal-caller excelling in their system -- fine evidence to bolster their case as a qualified candidate. And Shanahan will have an additional ace up his sleeve: Kirk Cousins.

Whenever a coach can take two rookie quarterbacks and produce positive results, he must be given strong consideration. Kyle Shanahan's work with Robert Griffin III has been great, but we all know RG3 has unique talent. Some of the concepts and plays with RG3 behind center are more talent plays than the real work of Shanahan. Shanahan certainly deserves credit for developing an offense that highlights RG3's skill set, but this only goes so far. However, his work with Cousins in last week's crucial win over the Cleveland Browns has made everyone in the league stand up and notice -- especially those teams in dire need of a quarterback and a coach.

Shanahan's work this year has been really impressive overall. In the past, many thought the Redskins' offense was solely designed by Kyle's father, Mike, who is still one of the best offensive minds in football. But this year's Washington offense is the work of Kyle. Now, understand the concepts and principles of the offense are still from dad, but the game plans and the play calling are all Kyle.

Any team that hires Shanahan as its next coach might be able to pry away Cousins for a modest price -- considering he was just a fourth-round pick in last April's draft -- addressing two huge problems at once. Every father wants his son to succeed. Thus, if Kyle does land a head-coaching job, he would have a great in with his dad and the 'Skins in terms of making a trade for Cousins -- as long as it is an AFC team that hires Kyle. I strongly doubt that Kyle would ever take a job in the NFC East to compete against his father. (Imagine how awkward the holidays would be in the Shanahan home ...) But going to an AFC team makes sense, and makes the trade for Cousins seem doable.

Now, honestly, I have no idea if Shanahan would actually want to bring Cousins along as his next quarterback if he gets a head job. He could decide to draft his own quarterback, as one of his many strengths is his ability to develop the position. Yes, I know it didn't work out with Rex Grossman and John Beck in Washington, but he sure did a fine job with Matt Schaub in Houston and this year's work speaks for itself.

One week from next Monday, the NFL will begin a period of great change. There are at least six head-coaching jobs that could come open on that day alone. And the main reason for most of those gigs becoming available will be the lack of quality play at quarterback on each franchise. If the Redskins make the playoffs, the spotlight will be even brighter on Kyle Shanahan, and perhaps, Kirk Cousins.

link

I view this as a good thing. Not that some other team can have the "package deal" but that it is even a possibility. When was the last time teams might have wanted to raid our coaching staff for their next Head Coach? Or our roster for their next starting QB?

I'll give you a hint, it has been over a decade for answers to both those questions and I have no clue the last time both of those were options in the same season.

It means this team is improving in all the right ways.

I'm all for using Cousins to get back some of what we paid for RG3 but Kyle? Sorry I'm just in the camp that wants him here, long term. I don't think that Mike is contributing as much as Bobby T.
and Kyle.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

good. maybe someone will offer us something ridiculous for cousins that we can't turn down. like a first and a player.

you say no, but there are a lot of dumb teams out there.

it's something we would have done 6 years ago.

I'm not going to lie, it'd be REALLY nice to be on the right end of this type of transaction for a change.

I don't know Cousins future (other than that short of a blockbuster offer, he'll be our backup next season), but Kyle is almost certainly being offered a chance to succeed his Dad in DC. I just can't imagine it isn't being or hasn't been discussed.

He is still quite young so he might stick around for a few more years to see if he can improve his stock

Kyle's in the best of places. Work with a QB like RGIII equals win. Build a potential dynasty with your Dad equals win. Get a head coaching gig with the right team equals win.

I think Kyle could leave, but would only do so for the right team with the right pieces and owner. Money isn't an issue. Legacy isn't an issue. The Redskins can outbid teams in a number of ways. So I don't see leaving for the Browns or a cheap loser team... He knows too much about the league and why teams win.

Kyle nor Cousins are going anywhere yet. Cousins hasn't proven himself worthy of the asking price we would/should demand and has proven to be too valuable to this team right now. Next year we have the ability to take a flyer in the 6th or 7th round on a 3rd string QB who could be a great backup in this league like New Orleans did with our very own Chase Daniels. Now he is a decent back up. When we have another QB to step in to Cousins place, he will be used as trade bait. Likely next off-season or the one after that depending on when a young QB can step up behind Cousins. I think it would be foolish to dangle him out there this off-season while he is so valuable as an adequate replacement off the bench for Griffin.

Wouldn't it be great if a team like the Browns offered a package Gruden/Kolb type trade for these 2 guys? We could get 2 first rounders and a 2nd + their best DB from them haha.

2 months ago I would have taken this as great news. Now, they better both keep their asses here.

Just wondering how long it will take the media to turn keeping cousins as a backup (once there are offers) into a major distraction? Rabid for controversy as always, you have to think it won't take long. I think Robert has some things to learn before he can be trusted to be a true franchise leading qb (like sliding for example) so I don't really see cousins going anywhere for at least another year. Still can't believe we are even having this discussion. HTTR!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.