• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL.com - NFL to consider reseeding playoffs based on record

tshile

NFL to consider reseeding playoffs purely by record - NFL.com

Both NFC matchups on Wild Card Weekend feature teams with the superior record going on the road.

NFL owners have taken notice of the inequity.

Among the "multiple ways" in which the NFL has examined potential adjustments to the playoff system, spokesman Brian McCarthy said Thursday there has been discussion of letting the team with the superior record host games even if they gain entrance to the postseason as a wild card.

"Every scenario has been discussed, ranging from reseeding to one extra game, expanding from 12 to 14 teams," McCarthy said. "Think of a scenario, it's been discussed and remains in play."

A potential holdup is that some clubs have "raised the concern that reseeding would minimize the value of winning a division; winning a division now means a guaranteed home playoff game."

This is a relatively new issue for the NFL. From the 1989 season through 2001 season, only three home teams with inferior records hosted playoff games. Over the past seven years, however, at least one team with a superior record has been forced to go on the road.

This weekend's games will raise the total to 15 such matchups over that seven-year span.

Home teams have enjoyed a .575 winning percentage during the Super Bowl era, according to STATS. That figure jumps to .675 during the playoffs.

New Orleans coach Sean Payton is the poster child for that homefield advantage. His team is 16-0 at home and 8-8 on the road over his past two seasons.

The Saints are winless in five road playoff games.

They can end that streak by winning in Philadelphia on Saturday night. Of course, that might help convince the competition committee that the need for change is overblown.

This would make me sad. I know I'm in the minority, but I like that division winners get a home playoff game. Without it there is no other 'reward' for winning the division other than hanging a banner.

Can't win your division? Then you go on the road in the playoffs. I like it.

100% agree. I wish the NFL would stop dicking around with the game, that's what I wish. It's not broken, leave it alone. Professional football has been around a long time and the constant tweaking has gotten a little out of control if you ask me.

I also think the NFL is missing the forest for the trees here. They do this every time something 'out of whack' happens that goes against conventional thought.

A team with a good record going on the road in the playoffs to play a team with a significantly lower record? The system must be broken!!!! It needs a fix!!!

When in reality they're completely ignoring the storybook super bowl runs this sytem has produced over the years where a wildcard team has to go on the road for 3 straight weeks to play in, and eventually win, the super bowl. Which is the type of storyline that makes the NFL great in my opinion.

It's just like the stupid overtime rule changes they made. Have a team lose in overtime on the first possession? OMG BROKEN SYSTEM!

Knee jerk reactions catering to isolated fan outrage is ruining this game.

Roger Goodell's futile quest to turn the NFL into the NBA continues.

I could get behind adding a caveat about "winning record" or something. The Seahawks hosting a playoff game at 7-9 a few years ago was turrible. But other than that, I'm in the 'keep things the same,' camp.

The only change I would favor would be to reduce the number of divisions to four and then have division winners and four wildcards get in.

Division winners should host a game. Otherwise just get rid of divisions.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
You must mean 4 divisions in the entire league, not per conference, right ?

Correct.

Not saying that's what I want, but if they insist on messing with the playoff system that at least makes sense. Personally I'd rather they stop changing things every year.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

100% agree. I wish the NFL would stop dicking around with the game, that's what I wish. It's not broken, leave it alone. Professional football has been around a long time and the constant tweaking has gotten a little out of control if you ask me.

Personally I'd rather they stop changing things every year.

Yea, I hate these constant, unnecessary changes every year.
For a lot of reasons.
And one of the biggest reasons, is it creates more irrelevance to statistics and records that players and teams set, because you're no longer comparing apples to apples, or anything close, when comparing a stat from today's game, to a stat from even a few years ago. Records begin to become almost somewhat meaningless.
Keep the game as pure and close to the original as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.