• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

New Ownership - what are the top priorities?

New ownership top priority is...?

• Rename the team

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Hire an accomplished/promising GM

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Clean house of coaches/executives

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Secure new stadium deal

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Publishing/addressing findings of Mary Jo White report

• Find a franchise QB

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Rebrand with new logos/uniforms

• Lower ticket and game day prices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Major fan outreach/engagement

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Update/upgrade practice and training facilities

• Something else (please comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This year’s Pickem prizes…

IMG_6772.jpeg

Welp, time to tank!! 😂

Oh look, somehow my invitation was lost in the mail.

I would assume he reports directly to Harris?

I would assume he reports directly to Harris?

I would have to assume the same. It makes you wonder what the business model will end up being, and if this evolves into more of a corporation / business type operation on that side of the building. I’m assuming we have always had someone in the position, but the CFO being the first big hire could mean a shift in financial thinking

Anyone who thinks the skins have a shot at winning anything with this HC is completely delusional. 1. Hire a GM and his first duty is finding a new HC. No need to clean house of all the coaches and staff.

I agree. But dumping Rivera is likely going to result in a house cleaning. We shouldn’t expect a new GM and HC, who have every option available to stick with guys from the current coaching roster. That’s not generally what happens.

So we are already seeing action - interestingly not on the GM front as most listed as our top priority (at least no action that we are aware of?), but instead on the financial front with the hiring of a CFO and a stadium expert.

Gotta wonder what the next big moves will be - some significant stadium upgrades? The new GM? Announcement on new stadium site? Or something else?

Gotta wonder if most of this stuff, including big items like re-naming the team, will have to wait until the 2023 season is over, or can they move faster than that?

I don't see any reason why a new GM couldn't be hired immediately. In fact, I think it would be extremely smart to get our next franchise leader in place sooner rather than later. That guy or gal will have to have time to assess where we currently are and make big decisions in the offseason. It might not sit well with Rivera, but who cares? In any scenario, he is almost certainly going to be demoted. I hope they are scouring the planet for our next GM and make it official asap.

Unless the GM target is someone not currently in the league, is it possible to talk with someone under contract at this point? Wouldn’t that be considered tampering?

That's certainly a valid point. But for a promotion, I don't know if that would be considered tampering or not? And is there a 'window' where it's possible to promote someone currently under contract in an 'Executive' role? Also possible they already have someone in the queue and are just waiting for the appropriate time to pull the trigger. I am kind of assuming above that they might not be looking at someone who is 'up and coming' and currently employed but rather someone who is a proven previous GM (think Sean Payton type individual). But you are right - that's probably a pretty small pool. And if they do go after a current NFL executive, that logically would best be done as soon as the season is over...

Yeah, I think it’s more likely that they have a target or targets in mind for after the season.

I have spent a lot of time trying to find lists of potential 'next big GM' candidates and have been largely unsuccessful. Kind of weird, as rabid as folks are about the NFL, but there just don't seem to be a lot folks focused on it. Even amongst the beat reporters, I have yet to see a single article listing possible candidates. That is just bizarre given that, in our situation, this hire is potentially the most important in 20 years, and yet no one is even postulating about who it might be?

This is an aging coaching staff and front office group that has worked with Ron for a long time here and in Carolina.

Harris is an observer in 2023, he received the keys to the car too late in the year to make any major moves before the season, so he is in evaluation mode.

Meanwhile, in the background he is fortifying the positions that will help him secure a new stadium site and financing for it, and those positions that will maximize community and fan outreach to re-establish the brand and attendance at the games.

From what Magic Johnson said I don't think there is a long, drawn out evaluation process here. Changes are coming. Reading between the lines, this ownership group credits Ron and Co. for persevering forward while dealing with Dan Snyder and all of his off the field issues, but these guys are not impressed by the on field performance of the team and it's inability to be an exciting up tempo group that shows off impact performers that are easy to sell with fans.

Look at what the Philly GM has done since coming back in 2020 the same year Ron came to DC.

The Eagles were a lousy team in 2019 and didn't have a quarterback. They had no wide receivers and their secondary was one of the worst.

In the span of 3 seasons Roseman has been able to build up the second best roster in the NFL.

Every year they seem to hit on 2 or 3 guys in the draft that come in and make an immediate impact.

They make smart trades and don't seem to get stuck giving big dollars to guys that are over the hill or who have had one big season which is an outlier.

There is a lot to be excited about in our future. The one thing that keeps me from being hopeful and positive in the short term is Ron Rivera. He lost me awhile back, and while I feel he's a good man with good intentions, I think the game passed him by and he's no longer able to make the kinds of smart decisions required for us to be competitive, particularly the kinds of big picture decisions a GM has to be savvy making. My attitude will be a lot better once he's shown the door after this season.

Ron Rivera is the ultimate lame duck. He's caught in an ownership transition that by all accounts is going to remake this franchise from the ground up.

The one consolation point is that unlike Jay Gruden who gave up and was simply taking the money week to week, Ron is actually trying to do a decent job for the organization.

I have no expectations for this team record wise. Every team in the division has stayed strong, the Giants have probably gotten better with the addition of Darren Waller and a strong draft addressing their own weaknesses on the OL.

Again, Philly is heads and shoulders above the other teams because their GM is firing on all cylinders. His draft picks come in and play, his free agents make contributions and he goes out and signs quality veterans for depth, which will be needed during the season.

There is NO reason Washington should not have signed Zach Cunningham at LB in free agency. The Eagles signed him for a modest sum and he is at best a part-time starter and at worst quality depth.

Does anyone really have confidence that Khaleke Hudson is an answer for us at LB? Is anyone convinced Jamin Davis, who shows immaturity on and off the field repeatedly, is finally ready to take his career seriously?

Teams don't win with knucklehead players. Davis exhibits all the signs of an entitled young athlete who thinks he has made it in life at age 24/25 and the normal rules don't apply to him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.