• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

New Fight song

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
So apparently it's going to happen. The team is going to come out with a new fight song, reportedly adapted to still honor the original:

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

Run or pass and score—We want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

Given the serial missteps and tone-deafness that have defined the organization lo these many years, it is almost certainly going to be a disaster. At best the new song and lyrics will have some promise after they "fix" everything obviously wrong with it at rollout. At worst, it'll be ... well, just embarrassing.

What I'm sure they won't do is craft a clean and simple adaption that requires little creative thought (as in the five minutes I spent on this) or change:

Hail the Commanders!
Hail Victory!
Fly high the banner!
Fight for old D.C.!

Run or pass and score—We want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Stomp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Hail the Commanders!
Hail Victory!
Fly high the banner!
Fight for old D.C.!

Surely we can do better than whatever they're going to come up with ... right?

Show 'em.

And yes, I do fully expect an inspired level of irritated irreverence. As my next version will exhibit when it's done.

Hopefully Lou Holtz wasn't involved

And if they just try to change a few words to the fight song, well, not like Commanders was ultra-creative either

Om, for the record, I can guarantee you that your version of the fight song lyrics will be better than what the organization comes up with. It was much the same with the uniform designs - there were many people throwing ideas all over social media that absolutely blew what Tanya Snyder and company came up with for the team's Sunday attire.

While I can somewhat appreciate the team's latest effort to connect the present with the past, doing so through the fight song sounds forced and far too late. To me, link between past and present needed to start with the name. Yes, that certainly would have been a difficult endeavour, especially when you are trying to stray away from anything native-related. However, options existed - Legends, Burgundy and Gold, DCFC, even Redwolves would have worked (given the importance of the wolf in Native culture) to name a few. They made it blatantly obvious with the name and jerseys that they wanted to move so far away from anything Redskins. Why now try to rework a song that a large portion of the burgundy and gold fanbase in attendance on Sundays will likely still sing with the name "Redskins" in it? It makes little sense to me.

Sorry, I know I probably sound like I am crying over spilled milk right now. Just start winning and I will probably feel better. :)

Reactions: Om
Yeah, it was stupid to change the name and the ‘new’ song will be stupid as well.

Hey, you Commanders
Woe…woe is me
Our team is ran by a psycho
We’re too old & entrenched to fleeeee

Heineken lobs so many ducks-so we’ll say W T F’s We Love 'em, we Hate 'em,
Touchdown! -- Our zone defense…really sucks!
Flail on, flail on-We just need a win
Our mascot name, needs thrown in the bin.
Ree, Ree Ree!

Hey, you Commanders!
Please, stop hurting my heart!
Get your ass’s into the payloffs
Your play smells worse than a fart!

"Fly high the Banner"

Joe Banner?
Bruce Banner?

Probably more the championship banner it’s hard to envision us raising any time soon.

Joking aside, maybe we should run a competition to see who can actually nail what the changes will be? LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.