• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

My Grandpa

DudeRedskin

The UDFA
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Pops. James Marion Fishel would have been 91 today. My grandpa (and grandma) raised me, and a better break I will never have. He wasn't physically large, but in all the ways that matter - accountability, integrity, honesty - he was a giant of a man. He grew up hardscrabble, one of many sons in a poor family of farmers. Such was their situation that when breakfast was served you ate fast or you worked that day hungry. Pops always ate fast to the very end lol; I remember him waiting patiently long after he was done eating while Grandma and I finished our meals.

He did what he had to do to raise three girls. That meant moving around a bit, but he was determined to provide for his family. He was as tough as a two dollar steak. He once spent a summer in Southern California on a crew digging swimming pools BY HAND. Read that one again.

My Grandpa was the hardest working man I have seen or will ever see. He never took a day off, and worked as hard toward the end of the day as he did at the start. I know. I saw it firsthand. I am a damn good carpenter and he taught me much of what makes me so to this day. How many of my brothers know what takeoffs are? Not many I bet. They are just one of the many things I learned from him, along with the essentials - work hard and well, and don't allow others to move you away from that. Take pride in what you do. He told me more than once that it takes twenty years to build a reputation and two days to destroy it. Wise words.

I learned so much from him, but I wish I had paid better attention because I could have learned so much more. I spent my formative years at the feet of a master and didn't know enough to soak it all in. I have to get by on what I did manage to pick up, but that is no fault of his. He was there for me every step of the way. Every. Single. Step.

Pops, you will always be my hero, my inspiration, and the man I wish I could be. I love you. Enjoy your rest. You earned it.

EDIT: That's me next to the man in the second pic. I never had it so good.

Attachments

• received_242339170549417.jpeg
    received_242339170549417.jpeg
    424.3 KB · Views: 78
  • received_799063130856577.jpeg
    received_799063130856577.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 77
  • received_694919504735434.jpeg
    received_694919504735434.jpeg
    659.7 KB · Views: 79
Sorry I missed this yesterday, but thanks for sharing brother. That's a beautiful tribute, and I tip my cap to you for putting it out there.

Happy Birthday to you, James. By the looks of it you did right.

That's really awesome. Wherever he is, he is no doubt beaming with pride. Sounds like an amazing man. I wish everyone who ever has the opportunity to impact and mold a young person realized what it means. Thanks for sharing <3

Thanks for the likes and comments fellas. He was clearly a huge influence on my life, and I miss him to this day. Always will. Boone, I like to think he looks down on me with pride, but I am never sure; that's ok though, because it is all I need to keep grinding. In closing, you saw me beside him as a tiny grommet. This is me now. I take an inordinate amount of pride in there being more than a passing resemblance. I might not be the man he was - but at least I look the part. Cheers, and HTTR.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1600913438431.jpg
    FB_IMG_1600913438431.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 81

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.