• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mr. Irrelevant: The Redskins Guide to Selecting a QB in the '12 Draft

Lanky Livingston

Good info on all the potential QB prospects in this year's draft:

Here to analyze the QB class in this year’s draft from a Redskins fan’s perspective is Buck O’Leary.

If you’re reading this you probably already know. The Redskins have the worst quarterback situation in the league. Mel Kiper’s hair just wrote a column about it, young people are tweeting about it, old people are writing letters about it — it’s common knowledge. I realize that there’s a contingent of delusional Sexy Rexy backers that accept his two weekly picks and appreciate that he “makes something happen.” These people generally want to improve the offensive line and live with Rex for another year. These people are insane.

Listen, I get it. The O-line has been historically bad. The interior line needs an influx of talent, but it has also sustained a ton of injuries, and competent QBs often make a line look better than it is. It’s easy to forget, we haven’t had one in over a decade. There are also more examples of teams having success in recent years with bad O-lines than bad quarterbacks (the Bears with Cutler the past two years and the Pack two years ago with Rodgers spring to mind). The Redskins also probably aren’t investing in offensive tackles for a while and the best centers and guards come off the board a bit later.

This is one of the richest QB drafts in recent memory. For the sanity of everyone who remotely cares about this franchise a change needs to be made. Hitting on a quarterback would instill the Skins with the legitimate hope it so desperately needs. In addition, with the new rookie wage scale it makes sense on several levels to get this done through the draft and avoid a potential franchise-killing Kevin Kolb situation.

If you’re not one of these Rex advocates, I apologize for that rant. You’re probably frustrated that I’m telling you something you already know. By now you may have also realized that my last name isn’t Mottram. So why should you listen to me? I’ve lived in the D.C. area my whole life. I’ve been rocking Redskins gear since I could crawl. I’ve been gambling on football since I was 9, when Jake Plummer and ASU lost to OSU 20-17. Although I’m not a professional talent evaluator, Vinny Cerrato was and look where that got us. I think you should trust me, because I’m one of you. I’ve grown tired of the offseason championships, so I’ve overcompensated to ground myself. Due to this pessimism I’ve been conducting QB draft research for the last two years. These are the conclusions I’ve drawn:

Andrew Luck (Stanford, 6′4″, 235 lb., 22 years old, senior, No. 1)

The prototypical QB. Everyone except Phil Simms is in love with his talent and potential. Can make all the throws, incredibly cerebral, has unprecedented responsibilities with play calling and adjustments at the line for a college QB. Impressive athlete who averaged seven yards/carry, good pocket presence. Choirboy personality and NFL pedigree (his dad is a former Oilers QB). Not sure how NFL guys will react to him in the huddle or in the locker room or if he will ever get mean the way the all-time greats like Peyton and Brady do, but he has all the tools to be incredibly special.

Matt Barkley (USC, 6′2″, 220, 21, junior, likely top-five)

Anointed in high school as the next big thing. A bit of a California HS golden boy a la Jimmy Clausen. Not super athletic but mobile enough to buy some extra time, John Beck mobile. Listed at 6’2″, but I have a feeling that he’s going to be significantly shorter than his listed height when he gets to the combine. Has shown significant progress over his career and is exceptionally poised in the pocket. Makes throws into small windows but also throws a lot off his back foot and has a tendency to float a few balls. Has absolutely lit it up over the last six weeks (1,746 yards, 23 TD, six INT). High-character kid, deeply religious and a leader in the locker room. There’s some question if he’s going to come out. His OT Matt Kalil, who’s regarded as the top OT in the draft, is rumored to be staying.

Robert Griffin (Baylor, 6’2”, 220 lb., 21, junior, likely top-15)

Freak athlete, rocket arm, 4.4-4.5 speed, No. 1 high school hurdler in the country. Numbers are ridiculous: 74% completion percentage, 29 TD, six picks, Baylor throws a lot of screens but his YPA is still over 10. Pegged as a runner but is really a pocket passer behind a patchwork OL who runs out of necessity. Shades of an early Randall Cunningham. Graduated in 2.5 years, and wants to be a lawyer at some point. Questions about his height and has a bit of a slight build, had a torn ACL in 2009 but clearly has made a full recovery. High-character kid, throws a ridiculously accurate and pretty deep ball. Occasionally has a three-quarters release point. Not asked to throw a lot of deep outs or digs and takes a lot of snaps from the gun. Will hang tough in the pocket and take hits. Heisman winner.

Landry Jones (Oklahoma, 6’4”, 230, 22, junior, likely top-15)

Strong but not quite elite arm strength, generally accurate but sails some balls, in a simple offense doesn’t have to make many reads, has that Favre gunslinger mentality and will take chances down the field, always in the gun and will have to adjust to taking snaps from under center — although recently NFL teams have been running stuff out of the gun so much that I’m starting to think this doesn’t matter as much. Good feet. Makes some questionable decisions and will force balls into coverage. Great supporting cast. For some reason he screams Jeff George to me. Incredible mustache. Stock has been falling of late and there are now murmurs that he may not declare.

Ryan Tannehill (Texas A&M, 6’4”, 222, 23, senior, mid- to late-first round)

Former WR had 800 yards and five TD receiving as a freshman, fifth all time in receiving at A&M. Deceptively athletic, bit of a project due to inexperience (started eight games last year, will only have started one full season of college, which Parcells and some NFL personnel people hate. NFL size and bulk. A&M doesn’t take many shots downfield — they throw a lot of 8-10 yard intermediate routes so it’s tough to tell if he really has NFL-caliber arm strength. Low release point has a lot of balls batted down at the line of scrimmage. Talented but inexperienced and a bit streaky.

Tyler Wilson (Arkansas, 6’3”, 220, 21, junior, mid- to late-first round)
Burst onto the scene with a huge game (332 yards, four TD, two INT) in a loss to Auburn last year after an injury to Ryan Mallett. Poised, not particularly mobile, could be more accurate, strong arm, has struggled against top competition in the SEC. All in all big numbers, likely to be one of the first QBs (if not the first) off the board next year.

Click link for the rest of the article.

comparing RG3 to an early cunningham did not make me want him more lol. I would prefer tannehill then luck (at the right price) then barkely then RG3, I just have such a huge bias against black qbs, the numbers of great ones is just too small. like ginger qb's or wide receivers, you just dont see many good ones lol

an unpopular argument about qb

So I was arguing on facebook with a buddy of mine, he made a joke about white running backs and defensive backs, I came back with a shot at black quarterbacks, even though my favourite player of all time was Warren Moon, I simply don't think Black Quarterbacks have ever really shown that they can be consistent winners and win championships.

I am not sure why its so taboo to say that, I notice a distinct lack of a tabook in discussing the dearth of white CB, RB and wideouts. Yeah there are the odd one offs, guys who have superlative athleticism but if you break down the numbers, when was the last time a white CB made a probowl? There are a few white guys playing WR and safety at a fair level but thats like Black Qb's.

I look at all the black qbs who have played, and I see only 1 maybe 2 who I would have wanted on my team, Warren Moon played on a run and shoot team but he also played on teams that ran conventional offences. if he had ever had a solid team he would have won a superbowl. after him? the pickings are pretty slim, perhaps maybe randall cunningham near the end of his career, but even then he had randy moss, cris carter and kleinsasser, as well as a dominant Oline and a good running game. most importantly he stpped running as his second option. out of all the young guys right now Josh Freeman and Cam newton have a chance to buck that trend and neither one of them is a run first type. If they can play at a high level for more than one or two seasons then my bias will change.

The truth is, we need to look at everything when using a high pick, every single stat and fact needs to be gone over, every advantage taken, I wouldnt draft a ginger QB either because I dont think there has ever been a great ginger qb in the NFL. its all about numbers, and precedent.

I have always wondered if this fact is a function of fewer chances because lefty qbs have the same sort of stigma, the only truly great lefty I can think of is steve young, so do I want us to risk getting a scott mitchell because the chances of that if we go with a lefty are way more likley than getting a Steve young, just as getting an andre ware or early career Randall cunningham are more likely than getting a warren moon.

if we drafted a white WR the likelyhood of getting a Steve largent is way less likely than getting a Matt jones. I dont even have an example for a white CB.

please dont bring up doug williams in this argument, doug was a great guy who had one astounding quarter in one amazing game, but the rest of his career he was a journeyman at best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.