• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mr. Irrelevant: How To Quit The Redskins Cold Turkey

If I hadn't been a fan during the Gibbs years, I could walk away. But having a taste of victory, keeps me coming back for more. If someone offered a pill that would allow me to lose all interest, I'd take it in a second. As it is, I can't keep myself from enduring the misery. I sure hope it pays off. Maybe another SB and I could walk away on top. :)

I hate the miserable seasons, but I was around for the glory days. I love my team, I couldn't imagine not rooting for them. I definitely wouldn't ever root for another team. I will never quit on the for their play, they can't be bad forever. I always have faith they can turn it around, even when I want to throw up and bang my head on the wall after watching them.

A name change would make me lose all respect for them, and I would respect the NFL even less than the zero respect I have for them already, and I wouldn't watch any football if that time ever came. If the Redskins ever get to a point where they are no more, so does my interest in NFL football. That is the only thing that would ever make me give up on my team, not even going 0-16 would phase my loyalty.

People who would walk away because we suck, will be the same ones who try to jump back on board when we get good again and act like they never gave up, and those fans are worse than bandwagon fans.

People who would walk away because we suck, will be the same ones who try to jump back on board when we get good again and act like they never gave up, and those fans are worse than bandwagon fans.

brotha: I have been following this team since 1962 - that's over half a century. I'm teetering on the edge like so many others - masochism aint part of the gameplan. walking away and taking a break...as some very respected members of our BGO community already have...and returning once some semblance of order, discipline and optimism is restored isn't bandwagon behavior. in some quarters it would be called intelligent, healthy psychological self-defense.

you're lumping too many folks into one convenient bin. why the animosity? shouldn't it be directed at the people creating these consistently under-performing results?

btw...how come you haven't been posting as much lately? :)

Obviously, everybody makes their own claims of what they are about concerning our team.

I've lived long enough to know that saying "I'll never will/would..." isn't wise.

But in my mind, I see only 2 possible reasons that I'd ever give up/walk away/lose interest/emotionally detach myself from MY team.

1. The death of the franchise via the Name Change.
2. My death.

I just...can't...fathom it.

We always hear 'beat Dallas twice a year'........ we're half way there guys. Unless, of course, that sentiment is just bullshit...

Then we have our 'split the games within our division' acumen...still a chance of that and beat Dallas twice.

My rearview is lit up just fine, might be slightly dimmer but it's there.

The 'blog' linked to in the OP sounded like ranting by some drunken fan after a lost preseason game, I understand the sentiment but if that's all he's got then he should be gone.

Obviously, everybody makes their own claims of what they are about concerning our team.

I've lived long enough to know that saying "I'll never will/would..." isn't wise.

But in my mind, I see only 2 possible reasons that I'd ever give up/walk away/lose interest/emotionally detach myself from MY team.

2. My death.

This is about where I am. However, I will not spend anymore money on games this year. I will not purchase merchandise and this Sunday I will not be watching the game, I will be making some extra cash for my trip to sunny South Florida next week.

Yeah, that's nicely put Ax. Probably describes me too. I have declared I'm done if there's a name change. I believe i would be done. But the caveat might be if the team has somehow managed to move past the dysfunctional era we've lived in since most of us were kids and teenagers, and have a winning franchise we could be proud of. That might make it possible to move past a name change. I just don't know. But I'm right there with you. And btw Ax - I appreciate you - it's nice to have a handful of folks that are looking for the positives these days, even if I can't muster it myself.

This is about where I am. However, I will not spend anymore money on games this year. I will not purchase merchandise and this Sunday I will not be watching the game, I will be making some extra cash for my trip to sunny South Florida next week.
Maybe one of the benefits of having never attended a regular season game, ergo, haven't spent the money on it, is my only costs have been emotional. Which I can hack. I don't consider the apparel I've bought over the years to be anything other than self aggrandizing. I'm a freakin dreamboat in burgundy and gold. Imagine the world without me. Shudder the thought.

Or is that, shutter the thought? Anyway, I can't deprive the world from getting to see me decked out in B&G Glory. It's, an obsession. :)

And btw Ax - I appreciate you - it's nice to have a handful of folks that are looking for the positives these days, even if I can't muster it myself.
I always knew your signature wasn't about me.

I am bonafide. :crown:

I've been a fan since I was "Cletus The Fetus" and will be one until my ashes are scattered in the mountains of Virginia.

2. My death.

so you'd stick with the team if Snyder sells and the team is moved? at least a time zone away.

so you'd stick with the team if Snyder sells and the team is moved? at least a time zone away.
What are the circumstances?
What bought them about?
Who benefits?
Are there social implications?
Which time zone?
And why that one?
Is it an isolated incident to the Redskins, or a new NFL trend?
Will the moving trucks be, Mayflower?

brotha: I have been following this team since 1962 - that's over half a century. I'm teetering on the edge like so many others - masochism aint part of the gameplan. walking away and taking a break...as some very respected members of our BGO community already have...and returning once some semblance of order, discipline and optimism is restored isn't bandwagon behavior. in some quarters it would be called intelligent, healthy psychological self-defense.

you're lumping too many folks into one convenient bin. why the animosity? shouldn't it be directed at the people creating these consistently under-performing results?

btw...how come you haven't been posting as much lately? :)
My view, is even if the product isn't what we wanted, it's all we've got. I love watching football, but the only team I like is the Redskins. There is no other team in the NFL or college that I even slightly care about. Since I love football, I will always root for the team I love, as long as they exist, even if they're like watching a team rubbing a turd off their cleats.

I haven't been posting as much lately, because I don't have as much to say anymore. Plus I work a lot and I get tired of arguing :D It actually has nothing to do with the team, because I didn't post more than a few times during the entire offseason.

What are the circumstances?
What bought them about?
Who benefits?
Are there social implications?
Which time zone?
And why that one?
Is it an isolated incident to the Redskins, or a new NFL trend?
Will the moving trucks be, Mayflower?

the sun implodes

If so many fans in NY clad in Gotham Green can remain Jets fans I don't see how I can leave the Skins. Ever. No way I let any Jets fan out-fan me.

And if I leave the Skins odds are pretty good I am leaving the NFL and American Football.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.