• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Montana K Melissa Martin visits Redskins

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Could the Washington Redskins take a late round flyer in the upcoming draft on a kicker? With an exclusive tag placed on Graham Gano, it is highly unlikely, but Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan will surprise you when it is least expected.

Former University of Montana kicker Melissa Martin visited Redskins Park in Ashburn, VA on Saturday at the request of Shanahan. Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you – HER name is Melissa and she had a superb season in 2011 for the Grizzlies.

As a four year starter on the women’s soccer team, Martin earned conference honors three times and graduated last year. She began graduate classes last summer and planned to search for a coaching position in the high school ranks. Then fate intervened.

Placekicker Kyle McAndrews injured his knee on the second day of summer practice. Martin, a kicker on her high school football team in Helena, MT got a call. The rest, as they say, is history. As the emergency replacement for McAndrews, Martin connected on 22 of 27 field goals for the Grizzlies and four kicks traveled more than forty-five yards in distance, including a fifty-one yarder against cross-state rival Montana St.

Martin got a call from Shanahan on Wednesday and decided to take the visit. “I was shocked, but how many girls can say they had an opportunity like this one. I’m not betting on this in my future. We’ll see what happens. I’ve had a lot of fun today and it was great to meet the staff. Hey, anything can happen” said Martin.

Shanahan insisted that it is not a publicity stunt. “We looked at some of the film and she is very talented. I’m not saying we will draft her, but is there a chance we bring her into camp for a look see? Maybe so” said the two time winning Super Bowl coach.

Melissa Martin may not hear her name called in the NFL draft, but she has quite the exclamation point to her football career if nothing else. “This is a great honor from the Redskins organization. On Monday it is back to reality and class” Martin said with a chuckle.

More here

Last edited:
April fool! I didn't open the link either! :laugh:

Luckily I'm from Montana and my cousin played for Montana State...I see through your dirty tricks, sir!

But well played.

My first thought was "I wonder if she's good looking?"

I'll admit...the joke worked on me. Well done!

When logged in I was wondering what the April Fool prank would be. Think will send this to my son at Radford. Good one, but not as good as changing sites colors to Cowboy blue.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Can imagine Shanny's expression next news conference when asked about it.

It was another fun time on April 1. Thanks for making it even better. Still can't believe a site picked it up as legit.

On to more of FA and the draft this month. Back to your regular programming after these messages from our sponsors. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.