• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

MMQB:SI - Washington Redskins Season Preview

King manages to write volumes without really saying much. The entire recycled dire warnings about RG3 came down to this:

"What the Redskins should do is use more rollouts and bootlegs to keep Griffin on the move but naturally closer to the safe haven of a sideline."

Thanks, Pete. We'll pass that right along to Mike.

The backhanded compliments are lazy at best.

Kyle Shanahan gets credit for 'simplifying' the offense for a rookie quarterback, but Griffin get's criticized for not running an 'NFL' offense? Pick a position and back it up.

Whether or not he can be a drop back passer is in question? 3200 yards, 20 TD's with 5 INTs, and a 65% completions. He had a rating for 102.4 Thats with him being out 2 1/2 games (essentially) and 1 playoff game.

I get if you want to say his numbers may be inflated by an offense that may turn out to be a gimmick (though I disagree with that assessment), but turn it into a big question of whether or not he can actually run a traditional NFL offense is just lazy.

Sucks we have to get used to that. Oh well, he'll just have to continue to prove people wrong. The good news is he seems to enjoy doing that.

I hate Peter King so much...what a buffoon. Dude thinks he is some sort of NFL royalty. No, no you're not, doofus.

Only Peter King could think losing Brandon Banks was major.

Nick

Gents, Peter did not write this piece. It is part of the new SI sub-site called MMQB and it was written by contributor Andy Benoit.

He didn't write it per se, but his name is still on it and this underling did some of the "writing".

Looking at their analysis, I guess Tom Brady should've quit playing by his second season. You know, every defense was going to have him figured out by then.

Yeah, that has PK written all over it. An underling did some of the clean up and still left a PK mess.

Geez you are cynical, BB.

Funny, I have always considered King to be one of the most professional guys in the business and still do.

And no, I don't think this "has PK written all over it." I also think it could have been written by anyone of a dozen guys and will be written by several of them, just using different words, before the season starts.

This article shows the author really doesn't know much about the team, reading about it from far away.

1. The Redskins used play action more than any other team, thereby showing both QB and receivers are limited in their ability to read coverages and run effective routes. WRONG.

The 1991 Gibbs team ran a LOT of play action as a staple of the offense. No one ever questioned Rypien's ability to read defenses or Clark/Monk's ability to make plays down the field. Play action then as now feeds naturally off a strong running game.

I know King doesn't think Morris is a legit back for defenses to key on but the evidence from 2012 shows something different. Morris' ypc was 4.6 on non-read option plays last year. That type of production forces the defense up into the box and play action neutralizes those numbers.

2. I got a chuckle about some of King's personnel evaluations. Ex - He says if Davis is not 100 percent back by the opener The team will have to count on Jordan Reed for production. Obviously with Reed missing all of the offseason work and being only 236 he is not going to be the starter in September. King evidently doesn't read enough to know that Reed is coming off injury or that TEs in this offense have to be able to show Mike they can be credible blockers to get on the field.

If Davis is not ready you will see Paulsen in the game to block with Moss and Morgan running the TE release routes just like last season.

Funny, I have always considered King to be one of the most professional guys in the business and still do.

Really? Everything I read of his is dripping with pompousness and staggering self-importance. Perhaps he is professional, but extremely aggravating. Maybe he just grates me the wrong way - god knows people have said the same thing about my posts, and I don't feel they fit me.

King is just one of those guys. I'm in the 'hate and feel strongly about it' camp.

Just remember King staked his rep on Spurrier and said Danny Wuerffel would throw for 3,700 yards and 30 TDs here in Washington in one season.

He was about 3,000 yards and 24 touchdowns short.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.